This is Berry Punch's husband.
I was reading an article that debunked the notion that garlic (in small quantities) is harmful to cats and dogs. Apparently, the researchers who had notified the public to the contrary had tested its effects using relatively extreme quantities. Using it as a limited ingredient in pet foods has no ill effect at all. In fact, I know of a very good natural dog biscuit brand that uses it to flavour their treats.
But, since their bodies are not able to process this toxin, it is very possible that it will build up in their system eventually, somewhere down the road causing anemia and illness.
In my opinion it's not worth taking a chance over. there a plenty of other choices for high quality foods that do not contain garlic.
Socks are on that list - I have been wondering for days how socks could be dangerous. Adult socks are too big to be swallowed and I wonder what possible scenario involving socks could be dangerous. Baby socks perhaps, but not UK adult size 6-8 socks.
Cats can't spit out, so if she gets a bit of elastic in her mouth it may just keep going.
In addition, elastic tightens.
One day Mazy was playing on the floor with her "gone fishing" toy.
I don't leave it out when I am not home, because years ago another cat got the elastic wrapped around his foot, when I was not home, and when I came home his foot was swollen with the circulation cut off. Fortunately I wasn't too late, and the foot was saved.
Anyway on this day, we had finished playing and I left it on the floor, I was right near by. she was rolling around on the feather thing and got the elastic around her neck.
She struggled and it tightened. She squeaked, just a tiny squeak, and it was such an odd noise I turned to look and there she was being strangling right in front of me.
thank heavens I was home.
never leave elastic type string toys out when you are not there so supervise.