Need Some Advice On Heavily Pregnant Semi-feral cat

murphyrip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I was a member of this forum before but since my Murphy was pts I haven't come on and lost my account details.

There is a black and white male and female cat coming around my house. The female had kittens in a neighbours shed who drowned them. I was really angry and told her to tell us if she had kittens again to let us know and we would take them. Anyway, mammy cat was here today, I gave her some fish heads and noticed she is very heavily pregnant. She has a round belly and looks like she is producing milk as her nipples are very obvious so I think she is close to her time.

I'm prepared to help her but don't know what to do. She has never had a home in her life so she doesn't trust people. She has come around a bit since she first started coming here for food. Before she would run when she saw us but now she will let me get within a few feet of her. I don't know whether to let her have her kittens where ever she wants or to trap her and put her in our shed? She won't have them near our house because she fights with our cats which are outdoor cats. I could make up a nice warm bed in our shed and put in a litter box, I'm supposing she will take off if I open the door for her to go out to strecth her legs? Idk, I need some advice. I know the general care of caring for cats and her kittens because my cats have had kittens before they were spayed. Thank you!

I posted this in 'pregnant cat's and kitten care' but was told I might get some good advice here

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you lost your Murphy.

Is the shed safe for her and kittens? (No anti-freeze, oil spots, stuff like that?) Is there sunlight in there during the day? If that's the case, this is what we would do, as we can't take in any more cats. If you can leave the shed door open and put food and water in there for her for a few days, we'd do that. Get her used to going in and out of there. IF you're sure there's no way for her to get out, I'd then put a bed and two litter boxes in there (maybe put a little litter at the bottom and clean dirt on top - she's used to using dirt) and then close the door some time when she's in there eating.

I'd feed her kitten food, as she needs the extra protein. Let her have the kittens, and spend as much time in there as you can. Don't force yourself on her, but it's important for the kittens to be used to people if you're going to adopt them out.

If the shed isn't such a great place for her, is there someplace you're able to put food and water out for her? If she's got a regular source of food, when the kittens are ready to be weaned, she'll bring them there. That way she can raise them, and you've got a place you can trap her once you find homes for the kittens when they're old enough (10 - 12 weeks).

I'm sure others will have more ideas!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murphyrip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I can't leave food in the shed for her because she never goes near there. All she does is come at night every few days, goes to where my cats might have left scraps, eats them and then goes. She only stays for a few minutes. My cats would eat food left in the shed and the mother cat never explores any place else except that one spot so she wouldn't find it.

When I see her next I was going to set up my cat carrier, let her see me put food in it, tie a string to it and when she goes in pull the door shut with the string. I tried it a few days ago and she went in, but the string snapped because she was fighting to get out so I'll have to get a stronger string.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by murphyrip

Well I can't leave food in the shed for her because she never goes near there. All she does is come at night every few days, goes to where my cats might have left scraps, eats them and then goes. She only stays for a few minutes. My cats would eat food left in the shed and the mother cat never explores any place else except that one spot so she wouldn't find it.

When I see her next I was going to set up my cat carrier, let her see me put food in it, tie a string to it and when she goes in pull the door shut with the string. I tried it a few days ago and she went in, but the string snapped because she was fighting to get out so I'll have to get a stronger string.
Good plan. Food is always a motivator. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

murphyrip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm worried now that she went and had her kittens somewhere else, I haven't seen her in awhile. Hopefully she'll come soon for food and then I'll follow her.