Cat Spay Question

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, on Monday will be the day my little kitten goes to get spayed. I was wondering how drained of energy will she be and for how long? What should I do when I take her home? How long will it take for her to get back up to her usual energetic self again? Thanks.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, my spayed girls were sleepy and groggy for the first 12 hours after spay. They were up and about after that but I kept them isolated and safe from accidents (since the stitches were fresh) for the next 24 to 36 hours. After that, it was business as usual.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My girls were pretty much back to normal after the sleepiness wore off. By the time i'd get them home about 6:00 in the evening, they'd stay pretty quiet until the next morning. After that it's like nothing ever happened. The boys are another story, wrestling a few hours after.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually vets will keep them overnight but sometimes you can get them later in the afternoon if the spay was done first thing in the morning. Your vet will let you know.

As far as energy. Most will be out of it for at least a day. Friend of mine has had females come home and run to the top of the treehouse! So much for "keeping them quiet" advice from the vet!

You just want to be sure the stitches are clean and no puss or anything like infection. It will be a little puffy looking for awhile and slightly pink, but should not be dark pink/red looking.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

My girls were pretty much back to normal after the sleepiness wore off. By the time i'd get them home about 6:00 in the evening, they'd stay pretty quiet until the next morning. After that it's like nothing ever happened. The boys are another story, wrestling a few hours after.
i brought all of my girls home the same day of the spay. they pretty much slept for the rest of the day, all night, & were back to almost normal by the next day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I just let her out of the carrier into my room as soon as I get home so she can rest or should I isolate her in a small room like my bathroom? Also, my appointment is scheduled at 7:30AM and will be up for me to pick up at around 4:30 PM.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she an only cat? If so, then just turn her loose in one room and put the litter pan in there with food/water rest of the day. She should be fine the next day to have complete freedom.

Offer her a little food later in the evening but she probably won't want to eat till morning

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dn-wake

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much did your spaying procedures cost? The local Humane Society is going to charge me 60 bucks to do it but I called some Animal Hospitals and they charge over 200, saying that they will provide pain meds, blood tests, and all that jazz. Will being cheap and spaying at the Humane Society be bad for my kitten?

zooy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is really a big difference with getting it done at a vets or at the humane society, because a vet does both.
We thought about going to the low cost clinic but my aunt ended up paying for both of our girls to get fixed. It cost just under $500 for both and that was with a 10% discount becuase she's a vet.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zooy

I don't think there is really a big difference with getting it done at a vets or at the humane society, because a vet does both.
3 of my 4 girls were spayed at 'low-cost' type clinics. oh, so was Mouse, too. i had absolutely no problems of any kind, & i actually liked being able to take them home the same day instead of having to leave them overnight.
they're pretty groggy when they 1st come home, but you get instructions on how to handle that. when i had Firefox done [found the clinic thru a link here: spayUSA] they told me to leave her in the carrier in a dark room for the rest of the night. i let her out earlier than that, because she was crying - but she did stay in it for several hours.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would for sure go with the low cost place. Why not? Omelet was done through a rescue organization and they took such great care of him. They said even the staff was playing with him and holding him before surgery (and they did a ton of cats that day, probably around 30) They even called 2 days later to see how he was doing.