My kitten's breath smells awful! Whats going on?

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten has never had an awful smelling breath... up until today. She was chewing my blanket today and I smelled something awful. I sniffed my blanket, and oh my god... it smells like rotten fish or something. Whats going on? Could the food I've been giving to her cause this? This never happened... until I fed her some canned food called Weruva. ( I started giving her this a week ago... )

Oh, I forgot to mention that 2 days ago, she threw up for the first time. Is this all because of the weruva canned food? Well either ways, is there any way to get rid of her awful smelling breath? It's something I can't tolerate... especially when she's licking my finger or something. My fingers smells awful! * gags *

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've fed my cats Weruva and it seems like a really good food. However, it's possible that it's a bit rich to just switch to quickly. How old is your kitten? Is it possible there are teething issues, or gum disease, or has the kitten been eating anything non-food like hair ties, paper, etc.?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxanne

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Well, I've fed my cats Weruva and it seems like a really good food. However, it's possible that it's a bit rich to just switch to quickly. How old is your kitten? Is it possible there are teething issues, or gum disease, or has the kitten been eating anything non-food like hair ties, paper, etc.?

Hmm... I never knew that I need to gradually add canned food... because I thought that only applied to dry food. My kitten is 6 months old... maybe there's a possibility that she's teething, but I never knew that teething cause bad breath.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roxanne

Hmm... I never knew that I need to gradually add canned food... because I thought that only applied to dry food. My kitten is 6 months old... maybe there's a possibility that she's teething, but I never knew that teething cause bad breath.
I've only had one "batch" of kittens, but I was wondering if maybe a tooth that wasn't coming out and was abcessing could cause that bad breath. (You're right about the canned food I think - it's probably just dry I'm thinking of.)

I thought the kitten was born on June 8 - that's only 11 weeks. But I am pretty tired tonight, LOL.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most kitten lose their baby teeth at somewhere between 4 to 7 months old, depending on the kitten. And yes, it can cause a bit of stink-mouth. But in some kittens, bad breath is a symptom of early chronic gingivitis/resorptive syndrome which can lead to kidney or heart problems later in life. For her health and your comfort, if your kitten has a vet visit scheduled soon, have your vet take a look in her mouth to make sure everything is OK in there.