Eeep, a little awkward..

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I am going through all my filed papers since I am moving...

I came across this very important document of my ex boyfriends..Some legal document showing his true last name..but he goes by a different last name..so its all notarized and official or something.

Anyway, he needs to have it and obviously I won't throw it out. We have a good post breakup relationship so calling him is not an issue but...

I call his house and his girlfriend answers..I felt terrible! I felt like saying to her "don't worry, I'm engaged and happy and he is all yours, I just have something important that he needs!!" But instead I just left a message for him to call me.

So, now if she even gives him the message, he will likely get in "trouble" and then he will be pissed at me.

GEESH!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is secure in her relationship with him, your call shouldn't bother her. You also have to keep in mind that you aren't responsible for her feelings or her insecurities if it does bother her.

I'm sure she's aware that the 2 of you are not enemies, and chances are he's probably mentioned to her that you are engaged.

If you think it's going to be awkward, mail the notice to him with a note saying you found it and felt it was something he would need.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would have just said, "I found a paper you probably need. Give me a call back."

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooo! That had to be sooo awkward! I'd have fumbled with what to say I'm sure!

I know a few years back my best friend was moving overseas with her husband and they weren't going to be able to take all their pets. One of her dogs had been bought for her by her high school boyfriend, so she thought she should call him first since he was supposed to be both of theirs. Well his girlfriend answered...never gave him the message. Of course I think if she had said it was about the dog, she might have. My friend was married and pregnant at this time so there was no competition or anything for her to worry about. In the end the dog went to my boss. Then almost a year later, after the poor dog was rehomed again, I ran into the guy. I casually told him that my friend had tried to get ahold of him and why (didn't say anything about his girlfriend-by then fiancée) and he was pretty upset. I wish it would have worked out that he'd have gotten Toby, but that's another story. Not the first case of drama with this guy's family though. Just before my friend moved we caught his twin brother kissing his best friend's wife outside Olive Garden. (we all went to school together) 'Course; they were right outside the window where we were sitting so it's not like they were hiding. DRAMA!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If she is secure in her relationship with him, your call shouldn't bother her. You also have to keep in mind that you aren't responsible for her feelings or her insecurities if it does bother her.

You told her the reason you were calling him, didn't you?

It's an important piece of paper that he needs, and she shouldn't have a hissy-fit your phone call if she's a well-adjusted person.

I think you did the "right" thing in letting him know, although I personally would have just mailed the thing to him. But that's just me..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

You told her the reason you were calling him, didn't you?

It's an important piece of paper that he needs, and she shouldn't have a hissy-fit your phone call if she's a well-adjusted person.

I think you did the "right" thing in letting him know, although I personally would have just mailed the thing to him. But that's just me..
No I didn't tell her the reason...I was too taken aback to think clearly when I heard a girl answer his phone.

I couldn't mail it for risk of it getting lost. Its an affidavit and cannot be lost.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is no issues, why wouldn't you have simply mailed it to him?

Doesn't make a lot of sense for the phone call. you already knew he needed it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't call you back by this Wednesday (she may not have told him you called), then put it in the mail (certified-return receipt) so you know he gets it.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hehe how embarrassing!

I remember when DH and I first started dating, and we got back to his place one afternoon, and discovered his ex sitting on his front steps. She hadn't wanted to split up, and I don't think she knew he was seeing someone else already... AWKWARD!!!! He of course, invited her in, and we had a very forced conversation where she was forcing smiles...
Oh well!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Like I said, I didn't mail it because its too important to get lost in the mail. I didn't think of certifying the mail. (derrrrr..lol)

We have a fine relationship (like I also said above) so us calling eachother is not unheard of...I just wouldn't have called if I knew a girl was living there. I had no idea, and if I had known I wouldn't have called him.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're just a friend, and it's not as though you call daily. She may not even be a live in girlfriend...

Oh I just remembered another awkward moment with DH. I had stayed over at his place, and it was fairly early in the morning on a weekend, and he'd stepped out to go to the shops, and asked me to get the phone if it rang, because he was waiting for a call from a tradesman. Phone rings, I answer it - and it's his super conservative mother
I had to say of course that he wasn't even home at the time... Relationships are so awkward in general!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, he called me back the next day from work and came by to pick it up..I apologized and we are fine now. He wasn't angry when I explained the situation

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Like I said, I didn't mail it because its too important to get lost in the mail. I didn't think of certifying the mail. (derrrrr..lol)

We have a fine relationship (like I also said above) so us calling eachother is not unheard of...I just wouldn't have called if I knew a girl was living there. I had no idea, and if I had known I wouldn't have called him.
Yeah just ignore my reply anyway. I was in a REALLY bad mood last night, and to your credit didn't even read your post thoroughly.

SOrry

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Yes, unless she reads his mail, sending it sounds good to me.