Himalayan color change

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
I cut my 2 year old red/cream point himalayan's body hair about a month a ago. His body hair was white but now all the new hair is orange! First I though it would change but now the hair is almost 2" long and its color havent change.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ozadars

Hi there,
I cut my 2 year old red/cream point himalayan's body hair about a month a ago. His body hair was white but now all the new hair is orange! First I though it would change but now the hair is almost 2" long and its color havent change.
It seems to me that red and cream is a kind of orange, isn't it? I have not heard of a himmy's color changing just because it was cut. My two year old himmy is exactly the same color as he was at 7 weeks and I have not intention of cutting his hair but I would be astonished if that caused his color to change.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Himis are pointed cats. The color is darker around the points due to the lower temperature of the skin. When you shave a pointed the coat will usually grow in darker due to the fact the skin is cooler due to the missing coat. As the coat comes in and the temperature of the skin increases the coat lightens back up. I would bet with time the coat will return to its original color.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty. I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully it will change back in a few years with a new coat. I know Persian people shave their cats, but don't think I've ever heard of Himi people doing it. Now I know why!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks marsch21. I knew their color changes with the temperature and now your explanation makes sense. However, the weather is so hot over here and it is kind of ironic.

GoldenKitty45,
This doesnt harm the cat. The weather is over 40C degrees in the southern Turkey, I think not shaving would cause more problems for him.

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The long coat of persian cats is from their ancestors who lived on the cold mountains of East Turkey and Iran. Animals from colder climates usually face some health problems if they are forced to live in warmer climates. I think shaving them can help them at warmer climates.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really. People tend to think that of dogs too. Actually the fur helps keep the sun off the skin and the coat should not be shaved down during the summer. But people do it anyway

ozadars

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even if you shave a persian totally their hair grows longer than other short haired breeds in just a week. My cat is also an indoor cat like most of the persians and himalayans. I dont really see any reason why not to shave or trim. At least Kursat feels and behaves much comfortable. Maybe one should first visit the cold Anatolian mountains where the Persian cats' long hair is coming from, to understand that their fur is for protection from cold not sun.
Anyway, this discussion is not related with the topic. I got my answer.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Not really. People tend to think that of dogs too. Actually the fur helps keep the sun off the skin and the coat should not be shaved down during the summer. But people do it anyway
We shave the dog in the summer, but that's because she doesn't shed... We don't shave her short-short, will it hurt her?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as its not short short - I've seen them shave dogs down to the skin and that's just wrong. Just ask some of the breeders of those dogs or some groomers - a lot will tell you that you should not be doing it, but the owners insist on it.

I'm talking about little ones like cockapoos/sh*tzue, etc. or huskys.

You can trim down short, but don't shave them to the skin.