Helping Out At Our Local Shelter

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am new to helping out at any sort of animal shelter. I could use some vibes and advice. Are there any conditions that I can transfer to my own kits or my family that I should be aware of?

Thanks

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ringworm can be spread to other animals (cats/dogs) & to people.

Distemper in cats & distemper/parvo in dogs can be carried on your shoes, clothes, etc to your pets. (I keep my pets all UTD on shots because I volunteer)

Coccidia & Giardia can be spread through feces.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so good handwashing ... and having shoes and clothes just for the days I go there is a good idea... changing before I leave.

Thank you

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

so good handwashing ... and having shoes and clothes just for the days I go there is a good idea... changing before I leave.

Thank you
Yep. Adult cats that have been vaccinated usually are okay for distemper. I wash my hands in hot soapy water. I am lucky in that the shelter where I volunteer has an onsite vet so the cats are vetted before they go out for showing. I really would not worry too much about it. The volunteers that clean cages wear gloves where I work and we keep the place spotless. I would worry more if you were going to volunteer in a shelter that was not very clean or careless about health issues.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lady that volunteers at our local shelter picked up some scrubs at a yard sale and wears them when she is at the shelter, then changes before she goes home. We have a crappy shelter here, so it is possible for her to pick up germs to take home.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

Thank you
Yep, I have shelter clothes and take them off and shower when I get home (but I typically do work with the sick / feral cats not the oh so cute take me home now ones).

If you have a cat at home that is sick or has a low immune system or seems off colour, ask the shelter which cats have not been vet checked or have URI which most shelters deal with in the shelter and avoid those until your cat is better. We isolate rooms with sick cats so people don't have to go into them and all cats are vet checked for distemper etc before being brought in.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you asked because I'm going to start volunteering at a local cat rescue (no-kill) in a few weeks.

good stuff to know!