Prayer's for my FIL!!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DH's dad was in the hospital yesterday with tachycardia (increased heart rate...his was 180 bpm, normal is 60-80). He was in the ER for this 2 weeks ago too and also had it one time last week and didn't go to the ER! He's only 55, and this is freaking both my MIL and FIL out a lil bit. He also had heart surgery 3 years ago, but they are unsure if this is related.

Please send prayers and vibes that the doctors figure out what is wrong and that he gets better soon. As of now, they want to admit him to the hospital on tuesday to try out a new medicine, but Dh's parents are thinking of finding a new doc who will actually try to find out the cause.

thanks!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
for your FIL hopefully they find the cause and treat it

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully they'll be doing a full work up on him to figure out the cause. He should have had (or should still be wearing ) a holter monitor - that alone will tell which type of tachycardia it is. Some kinds, such as sinus tach, aren't as serious.

Has he been sick lately? Possibly getting dehydrated? Any blood volume issues?

I was in the ER last weekend from what I assume was food poisoning and because my heart rate was staying between 110-155bpm - not that 155 is odd for me, but the 110 while resting was.

I hope they figure it out soon and find a medication that can help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everybody! Sorry I am just now responding!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Hopefully they'll be doing a full work up on him to figure out the cause. He should have had (or should still be wearing ) a holter monitor - that alone will tell which type of tachycardia it is. Some kinds, such as sinus tach, aren't as serious.

Has he been sick lately? Possibly getting dehydrated? Any blood volume issues?

I was in the ER last weekend from what I assume was food poisoning and because my heart rate was staying between 110-155bpm - not that 155 is odd for me, but the 110 while resting was.

I hope they figure it out soon and find a medication that can help.
I have no idea what other symptoms he has been experiencing. The only thing I can think of is stress related to work. His company (AB) is in the middle if being bought out and the future of the company is very hazy. He is about 2 years from retiring so they have been trying to decide if they can retire early to avoid being with the new company and all the changes.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

How's he doing today?
He is doing well. He always feels fine between his episodes of tach. I believe they decided to try the new dr who will do testing instead of just giving medicine, so that is a good thing.

Thanks for the prayers and positive words! I will update you when i foind out how things are going!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had lunch with my MIL today so I got to find out all that is going on (I either never find out or don't get all the facts when it goes through DH, LOL!). FIL went to the Dr on Tuesday and basically all he did was double up on his current heart medicine he has been taking since his surgery 3 years ago. The Dr thinks it is related to the heart problem he had surgery for and is not doing further testing!! I am not very happy about this!
I think it is dumb just to assume, or think it is caused by something and then treat that! Why not do testing to be 100 % sure??!! Now since he is doubled up on the meds, he has to be VERY careful about his HR going too low and about his BP going too low, and be constantly worried about that. And not to mention who knows what the high dose is doing to other parts of his body?! I love my in-laws but I do think it was a poor decision that they are just accepting this doctor's "diagnosis" and that's it.

I hope the doubling up on the meds does not cause any other problems

On a good note, FIL alternates working days shifts and night shifts each month. The Dr thinks this switch is causing more stress on his heart so he recommended FIL not work anymore night shifts. He even gave him a Dr's note for it! This is good b/c both FIL and MIL hate him working the night shift and he is happy to possibly be getting out of it!