amputate or wait?

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wrote a few weeks ago about Molly, the kitten I picked up off the road after she was hit by a car and left for dead. She has nerve damage and still has no feeling or use in her left front paw. It's about 4 weeks now and the vet says it would have returned by now if there was any hope. We have to spay her very soon and the vet suggests that we amputate the leg at the same time...he recommends amputation as without feeling in the leg she might get it caught or mangled. Does anyone have any experience with severe nerve damage that regenerated? I know a few people did but did the pet have no feeling and how long did it take? should I wait? I don't want to rush into something that is so permanent but we do need to spay her.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats do fine on three legs, running and jumping like cats with all four. I've seen *many* with three legs. There is always a risk during anesthesia so two operations is more dangerous than one plus the added risk later of damage to the leg. I say follow your vet's advice.

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. She will be fine with the three legs!
to you for rescuing her and saving her life!!!

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second that advice. My bf has a "tripod"-- one front leg is amputated and she can still catch mice!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Chassis is a tripod, and she does great! Follow your vets advice, I'm sure it will be the best for your baby

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister's cat is a 'tripod' too...missing a front leg (farm accident) and he catches mice like the best of them. He's a real sweetie too!

Your kitty will be fine and will adjust very well. She probably will never have feeling back in her leg. That will lead to shrinkage of the limb and possible infection if she cuts it and can't feel it, etc. Your Vet has good advice.

You're an angel for rescuing her...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the cat stand on the leg or is it totally useless/in the way of walking or doing things?

If its totally useless, then it may be best to amputate now and the cat will adjust quickly to 3 legs

phelana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are a loving animal angel. Get a second opinion. I would be inclined to say amputate if the second opinion agrees with the spaying.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I agree with the amputation, I'm not sure that doing the spay and the amputation at the same time would be best. I think one of the compensatory mechanisms for loss of the limb involves increased use of the abdominal muscles. That might make the recovery process a bit slower.
But there is risk in doing two surgeries.... Or a really long surgery.
I don't know which is better, I'm just mentioning it as something to consider and talk to the vet about.

critterlover723

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Abigail, who crossed the Rainbow Bridge a year ago this past May, lived for 19 years with no left back leg. She ran up/down the stairs and played with my other cats her entire life. Because there's no feeling in your cat's leg, she is burdened with dragging it around and probably feels uncomfortable. You are wonderful for rescuing her! (All of my animals have been rescues.) I recommend that you do what the Vet has recommended; you won't be sorry, and she will be all the better for it!

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat, Lucy (age 19) has a damaged front leg. We got her as an emergency rescue 12 years ago. I was only supposed to look after her for one night. I fell in love with her as soon as I saw her

The tendon in her leg is severed (a result of being used as a football by her previous owners) and she had probably been like that for some time. The day after I got her (I decided as soon as I saw her that she had a permanent home with me), I took her to the vet to see what he advised. In her case, I had two choices. Either get her leg amputated or keep her as an indoor cat only. Lucy does have some use of her leg, although it is withered. She walks on the back of her paw. Most times she holds it up but uses it to wash her face, dig her litter box - and pull my hair to wake me up

Lucy gets on fine the way she is. She lives in my bedroom as she doesn't like my other cats except one, Snowy. She is very close to him so just about everything is nice and soft for her so she doesn't hurt her leg.

In your case, your little cat has no feeling or use in her leg and it will only be a hindrance to her and possibly end up causing more injury so I would say amputation would be the best option for your cat. Be guided by your vet and as others have said, cats get along fine on 3 legs.

You've done a wonderful thing rescuing this little cat

You'll find she'll be the sweetest, most loving cat you could wish for. Rescued cats very often tend to be more loving. I'm sure they know. Lucy's got me wrapped round her little claw - and she knows it

her to bits

PS. You have a gift from our Lucy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are so right, she is the most affectionate little thing and VERY active even without the leg. I had scheduled the surgery but am going to get a second opinion...I don't have misgivings about the amputation as I know she will do well with it, but I will feel better with a second opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got a second opinion and 2nd vet says it's too soon for the nerve to have regenerated. He also said he'd be worried about blood loss if both surgeries are done at once, so we are going ahead with spaying and holding off on the amputation for a couple of months. I feel better about it as we were feeling rushed. Again, I know she will be great on 3 legs but I don't want to do it unnecessarily. She is indoors only -- though she manages to get into all types of trouble in the house -- but we should be able to manage another couple of months with the limp leg, and make a decision then. Thanks or all the support and advice!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lee

We got a second opinion and 2nd vet says it's too soon for the nerve to have regenerated. He also said he'd be worried about blood loss if both surgeries are done at once, so we are going ahead with spaying and holding off on the amputation for a couple of months. I feel better about it as we were feeling rushed. Again, I know she will be great on 3 legs but I don't want to do it unnecessarily. She is indoors only -- though she manages to get into all types of trouble in the house -- but we should be able to manage another couple of months with the limp leg, and make a decision then. Thanks or all the support and advice!
Good to hear that! Thanks so much for letting us know!!!