Two and Half Month Old Suddenly Vomiting

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning we woke up to an unpleasant surprise. One of my fosters was vomiting through out the night. The cage had about four piles of vomit of different consistencies all over it. We think the sick baby is Lovelock, the white one, because one, he has it on him, on top of his feet (so not like he stepped in it), and two, because he is acting sick. Kind of hunched over and generally miserable looking. Normally he is such a love, but this morning he's just kind of laying there.

It's 7 AM here, and my foster group is not up yet and my vets aren't open. I intend to make phone calls as soon as 9 AM hits, but was wondering if you guys could tell me anything while I wait. I'm very worried!

Some more details: We just got them on Saturday. They were all kind of sickly, we thought with the beginings of a URI. But now as of last night, they all seemed to be doing better. One sneeze that we heard all day, and every one playing and eating well. They've been on lysine. When we put them to bed last night, Lovelock seemed like his normal self. It was late and they were all in sleepy mode, so he could have been starting to feel yucky and we just thought he was tired like the rest of them. Then 6 hours later we checked on them again (this morning), and there was vomit everywhere and he was obviously not feeling well.

In case it helps, there were about 4 piles of it. The thickest went from not looking like vomit at all but rather mushed dry food. It looked just like the kitten mush (KMR soaked dry food) that I made for my baby fosters I had before!
To the thinest, which looked more like spit up. No blood or excess mucous. (The thin one you could kind of see mucosy looking stuff)

Is there anything you guys can tell me to ease my mind for the next 2 hours? Any ideas what might cause this? Or even if this is a red flag enough to take him to the ER?

Thanks from me and Lovelock!!

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use baby electrolite replacement when I have one puking up guts till I can get to my vet at least a phone call in. Good luck!
K.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he wil be ok. I have never had a kitten throw up like that before at his age. I have had very sick kittens and they were given antibiotics. Is the vet near you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wingss2fly

I use baby electrolite replacement when I have one puking up guts till I can get to my vet at least a phone call in. Good luck!
K.
Thanks for the idea and good thoughts. If I don't hear from the rescue soon, it's the vet next, and I'll probably start giving them that at the same time! It won't hurt him if he doesn't need it, will it?

Originally Posted by mews2much

I hope he wil be ok. I have never had a kitten throw up like that before at his age. I have had very sick kittens and they were given antibiotics. Is the vet near you?
Thank you, too! I hope so too, I am worried... I've never had this happen before, either, but I don't have that much experience! I do have a vet very near me, but I don't know if that's the one the rescue group wants to use... I have one of them on anti-biotics, but not this guy...

Any continued input and especially vibes are much appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news!

Lovelock seems to be doing better. We are still watching him like a hawk, but he has not thrown up since the last time that was before 6 AM.

I called the vet, they said it sounds like I need to make sure he is eating and getting fluids, if not, to bring him in. The rescue finally called back, they said to put him on baby food and pedialyte, and if he keeps throwing up or doesn't eat, to bring him in to the vet.

Good news is, he is eating, drinking the pedialyte, and keeping it down! Plus, he is back to his old melty lovey self and is purring again.

As I type he is peeing JUST outside the little box...
All four paws in, but just missed so it's rolling down the edge!

So thank you all for your help, input, and vibes!