Drooling and vet recommends milk

kateandmu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed that my cat was drooling today (and quite gassy) but everything else about her behaviour was fine. Called the vet and they told me to get rid of my Aloe Vera plant (she has been nibbling on it) and feed her milk.
My cat has never had milk and wont go near it. Should it be warm or cold?
Any ideas on why milk was recommended and how to get my cat to drink it??

I'm really nervous....she's my baby!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe to get the Aloe out of her. Can You get Cat Milk at the pet store? I would never give a cat mlk ever again. I made the mistake years ago and my cats got sick.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he recommended milk to neutralize the acidic properties of the aloe that's in the system?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Maybe he recommended milk to neutralize the acidic properties of the aloe that's in the system?
that is my thought /// I would suggest calling the vet and clarifying

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe also ask the vet of yoghurt would suffice? Yoghurt should have the same properties, and cats generally like it.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to go the milk route, I second the recommendation for cat milk (you can pick it up at the grocery store around here for a buck or two for three little boxes of it) or at the very least milk that has been treated for lactose intolerance since most kitties can't handle the lactose.

I think mine would drink it either hot or cold - they've definitely had it cold straight out of the fridge. If you're going to heat it up though, be careful that you don't overheat it and burn kitty's tongue!

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and cats don't mix, milk will help neutralize the aloe. Aloe is good to help you or a cat go pooh. So watch out for that too.
K.