They're always surprising me

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats are always surprising me. For example, we're currently having the outside trim on our house painted, and I'm having my living room ceiling patched and repainted due to some water damage. Our painter knows I have four cats and to be careful about leaving doors open, etc... I told him he probably wouldn't see them while he's there working because they're so shy. I spoke with him them earlier this afternoon and he told me two of the cats had been watching him work all morning. I was shocked! The only one who usually comes out if someone's over is Gracie and that's only if it's a person she knows well. I asked him which ones and he said "the black and the gray and white one," referring to Katie and Peter.
If he hadn't described them, I never would have believed it. Katie never wants anything to do with strangers and Pete's generally afraid of everbody and everything.
I told our painter he should be flattered because they would come out for just anybody. Who knew painting could draw out my shy kitties?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Katie......

Mine are just like that when it comes to people coming, except for people they know. Every once in a while, they surprise me, too, with someone coming into the house and they decide they want to visit with them. It always makes me wonder what they see about the person to feel so at ease.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To Sadie, Pete, her super hero, is always brave.

Way to go Katie and Peter.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna is my social butterfly. Abby on the other hand has been my shy, timid baby who runs and hides in the closet when people come over. As she's gotten older, she still does it, but will venture out if the person is here for a while, and if they have her brush in hand, she is right at their feet wanting to get brushed. She really surprised me once with a repair guy who was here fixing something. Abby was climbing all over both him and his work bag. I've never seen her do that with anyone else, or since.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is too cute...maybe they were watching over your place while the "stranger" was lurking.
Sure they are shy, but they must protect mommy.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When having the carpets cleaned, the man came out of from one of the bedrooms holding Moose in his arms, and asked me to take him because he was "trying to help" and getting in the way. I guess he'd been climbing on the carpet cleaning machine and all over the guy himself.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How cute! I think painting sounds like a perfect spectator sport for a skittish kitty. I mean, it's generally quiet and you're facing the wall (so you've got your back to them) --so it probably seems like he's ignoring them...and you know how they hate to be ignored

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

Mine are just like that when it comes to people coming, except for people they know. Every once in a while, they surprise me, too, with someone coming into the house and they decide they want to visit with them. It always makes me wonder what they see about the person to feel so at ease.

Mine are the same way, too.
The only ones that aren't "shy" are Winchester & Salem; but I think it's b/c they were outside cats before I adopted them, and are used to having people around.
The kittens are usually pretty good about strangers popping in, too.

Cats are very perceptive.
I think they can sense just whom they can and cannot trust..

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah, Eileen, it's that furry paint roller going back and forth and back and forth on that ceiling. Katie and Peter are getting hunting tips from that guy playing with that really big mousey.