State Fair Starts Today :)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Opening day at the fair. We are headed out after breakfast (playing hooky from work). What's your favorite fair food?

Ours is the mini donuts and they have a homemade chocolate chip cookie booth where you get a bucket of cookies, then head over to the Milk booth - $1.00 and all the milk you can drink! We also like to try an "exotic" meat; e.g. buffalo, alligator, elk, etc.

psjauntie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please have some tom thumb donuts for me!!! It is the one thing I really miss from the fair. I am originally from Rosemount, and used to go every year, the first thing we always did was get the donuts & milk!!! Have a great time

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We went to the county fair last night.... and though I am usually meticulous about what I eat, I allow myself some leeway at the fair... and we split some cotton candy and funnel cake. Ha. I thought I'd be paying for it today, but no ill effects

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to our State Fair last Monday and I tried a White Castle Burger Fried and a Cupcake. My Sister tried Fried Frog Legs and she said they were gross. I do have Pics from the fair and we try to post them soon. Have fun at the fair. We also saw the Terry Stokes Show.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am jealous!!! I don't think we're going to make it to the fair this year. I am a big fan of minidonuts, too.
Have some for me!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to a county fair on Saturday and I love the gyros best of all! but I also love fried cheese, steak on a stick, fried veggies from Carolyn's, sausage sandwiches and apple dumplings! yes, I go to the fair to make an absolute pig of myself
oink!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our state fair doesn't start till Sept 11. I'd like to go this year as there's usually some booths in the market place selling beads and stones, but I'm just not sure if I'll be able to. We'll have to hope there's a very cool day as I am no longer tolerant of the heat - it was bad enough for me a few years ago but now I don't think I could stay conscious.

I usually don't eat anything - too warm to and the place usually smells like livestock no matter how far you are from the show and holding areas.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh! I used to love the Minnesota State Fair! My favorite were the corndogs...........followed up by the mini-donuts.

YUM!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
we usually go to our state fair in october. my favorite 'fair food' is the belgian waffle! my dad's favorite is the roasted corn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Response to some of you

You'll be happy to know the first food was the Tom Thumb mini donuts

We wound up trying Elk - the porkipine meatballs and mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy. The meatballs are 80% elk, 20% Kobe beef and mixed with MN wild rice. They were very good.

We also got a small sundae later (it was buy one, get one free yesterday).

The chocolate chip cookie "must have" was a NOT must have this year (first year since I've been in MN and to the fair). Reason why? Because they made the bucket smaller then last year and jacked up the price to $14 for the bucket
Bad enough to give us a smaller bucket but to raise the price from $10 to $14..........well there wasn't a big line up of people there waiting!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I got my Sweet Martha's cookies last night...We had to wait 10 minutes to get them! And both stands were lined up...

Along with those, I ALWAYS have to get cheese curds, elk jerky, shaved ice, and some kind of italian...

I only got my cookies and curds last night, but I will be going again a few times, before it ends...Lol!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite is the world famous brownies. My second favorite is always a must have at our fair and that is the cream puffs.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My fair doesn't have weird meats thank godd! We have porcupine meatballs made from our own cows! They're yummy and have a tomato sauce over the top of them! One of my favorites is the pork and beef sandwhiches! I always have to get a funnel cake, and normally hit up the candy booth! (ya'll know it, Im a chocaholic) I never get to go to the minnesota state fair even though Im pretty sure its closer, we always hit up the South Dakota state fair with an epi pen in hand! Stupid bee's are thick there! Coke in the glass bottle is also a must have! I dont like mini donuts... Its always too warm and I wait till I get home to eat them and then they're icky! Or it rains all over and your food gets soaked! But the rides keep going!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

Well, I got my Sweet Martha's cookies last night...We had to wait 10 minutes to get them! And both stands were lined up...

Along with those, I ALWAYS have to get cheese curds, elk jerky, shaved ice, and some kind of italian...

I only got my cookies and curds last night, but I will be going again a few times, before it ends...Lol!
cheese curds - i wish they had those at our state fair! i tried them for the 1st time this summer in Washington state, & they were delish!

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I can't wait to go to the fair. It's supposed to be nice out on Sunday so we're going to try then.

Mini donuts and cheese curds are a MUST. No state fair trip is complete otherwise! I really want to try the butterscotch dipped Twinkie this year... meant to do it last year but by the time we found the booth for it, I was in no mood to stuff anymore food into myself lol.

Oh... pronto pups, too. Yum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our kids like to get the cheese curds. Personally I cannot eat those things because of their name! I know its picky, but "curds" rhymes with another word and it just turns me off

If they change the name, maybe I'd try them - but I really don't like a lot of deep fried foods; we've gotten out of that habit of eating fried foods

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Our kids like to get the cheese curds. Personally I cannot eat those things because of their name! I know its picky, but "curds" rhymes with another word and it just turns me off

If they change the name, maybe I'd try them - but I really don't like a lot of deep fried foods; we've gotten out of that habit of eating fried foods
are they fried? the ones i had were just plain raw cheese curds... squeaky cheese!