*****KatKwery! - August 20*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nobody used joke but laureen227 used teen and Cocoa Cream used same. Luvmycat1 used colds while a new player, NinaCaliente used the word wash.

Today's KatKwiz was about pedigreed cats.

Do you have pedigreeds cats; why or why not? What major differences, if any, have you noticed between pedigreed cats and others? Do you think others consider it a status symbol to have pedigreed cats? For those of you that got your cats at a rescue center, did you notice many pedigreed cats? If everything else were equal, would your choice of a cat also be equal (pedigreed over moggy)?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Nobody used joke but laureen227 used teen and Cocoa Cream used same. Luvmycat1 used colds while a new player, NinaCaliente used the word wash.

Do you have pedigreeds cats; why or why not? What major differences, if any, have you noticed between pedigreed cats and others? Do you think others consider it a status symbol to have pedigreed cats? For those of you that got your cats at a rescue center, did you notice many pedigreed cats? If everything else were equal, would your choice of a cat also be equal (pedigreed over moggy)?
haha I knew I wasn't winning today!
I dont have any pedigreed cats because there is alot of unwanted mutt cats out there that will be put to sleep if someone doesn't take them! I have on cat that was inbred and 2 more that are my rescue babies! I think cats that are pedigreed are purebred right?? Havn't read the katkwiz yet today, dont have much time! I do believe some people think that pedigreed cats are better than other cats and show wealth or something like that! Other people fall in love with them and scrimp and save to get their very expencive pet! There is alot of pedigreed cats at our humane society, however they tear up any papers that come with them because they dont want anyone using their cats for breeding purposes and they want the people to want the cat and not the pedigree! I would choose the moggy, other people will choose the pedigree straight up and they dont have much danger of being put to sleep! Theres alot of moggys in this world that no one wants but pedigrees are always in demand! Mutt kitties are a dime a dozen though! I like my mutt kitties, in fact I love them, it turns out that HoBoJax is part Angora or something like that! How weird is that! BooBoo's parents are his father and sister, so uhmmm, I dont know if he would have been wanted to much but I love him dearly! He's perfect to me! I think all cats should be created equal!
I Also have a bad habit of going and seeing cats with special needs and taking them home! They are normally the same price to buy, but we know most people dont take them home! Ive had a couple what looks like downsyndrom cats but how do you know really! I think they were deprived of oxygen at birth but either way they weren't firing on all cylenders! A few frys shorts of a happy meal, not the sharpest tool in the shed, you know what I mean! Grady use to suck on my lip all the time, or my ear, I absolutly loved it!! I think its almost too cheap to buy a pet now days, except for my puppy who is a mutt and he cost 300 dollars! Mix between Shi Zu and a Yorky! The cutest little trainwreck of a dog you'll ever see! But looks aren't everything!

By the way, I think its really neat how you have the katkwery standings right now! That katkwery chasing the mouse around is just cool!! And you still havn't told us what the katklic is....

Now that Ive read the katkwiz and article Im absolutely baffled as to why pedigree cats are more susceptible to disease and stress... I would have thought they would have been the healthier of the two! Guess Im wrong again! OH well, Im good at that!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nope, never had a Pedigree cat. I do agree that it could be a status symbol to some to own a Pedigree. Like snooty, rich people probably wouldn't own a regular cat.
I myself would probably prefer a regular cat over a Pedigree. I've never noticed Pedigree cats at the shelter but I do see a lot for sale in the newspaper. It cracks me up because sometimes people get expensive Pedigree animals and they have more health problems than a regular pet. Like this lady my Mom used to work with, she payed around 2,000 dollars for a dog and it ended up with all kinds of things wrong with it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have, nor ever had, a pedigreed cat. Most of the kitties that have come into my life were either strays that were taken in, or kittens of said strays. The latest have all been adopted from a vets office or SPCA.

I do think some people believe having a pedigreed cat is a status symbol. I don't feel that way myself though. When we went to the SPCA on Monday and adopted Nero, there was a Persian - the only pedigreed cat I've ever seen at any SPCA so far. I have no real preference for my kitties
I would love a Maine Coon for it's beauty, but I also love my "moggies".

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Do you have pedigreed cats? why or why not? What major differences, if any, have you noticed between pedigreed cats and others? Do you think others consider it a status symbol to have pedigreed cats? For those of you that got your cats at a rescue center, did you notice many pedigreed cats? If everything else were equal, would your choice of a cat also be equal (pedigreed over moggy)?
i've never owned a pedigreed cat... mostly due to cost. i haven't noticed a great deal of difference, since pedigreed cats & moggies all come from the same basic stock. i don't consider it a status symbol - don't really know what others may think. only one of mine has come from a 'rescue center' - there were no obvious pedigreed cats at the one i got Chip from. if everything else were equal, i'd love a pedigreed cat - i've always wanted a Japanese Bobtail, a Bengal, a Russian Blue - the 'look' of those cats really appeals to me, for some unknown reason...

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I have both pedigreed cats and moggies. I had 3 moggies first just because I love cats, before I discovered Ragdolls and just fell in love with that breed, so now I have 2 of Raggies. Adam, my fourth moggie, I didn't really intend to adopt, but once he was here I fell in love. And DH has wanted a Sphynx for years, because he likes their hairlessness and their goofy personalities. I guess we decided to add pedigreed cats to our family because we knew what to expect from them, and wanted those qualities.

I don't think my purebred cats are different than my mixed breed cats, but they do show the characteristics expected of their breeds. For example, Griffin is a Ragdoll; he is a large, long-haired, pointed cat with blue eyes, with a very laid-back and cuddly personality. I think each of my moggies possess at least one of those traits, but not that specific combination.

I don't consider it a status symbol to have purebred cats. I guess I don't know if others do or not - I suppose it depends on the person in question. Perhaps some people who consider anything that costs a bit of money to be a status symbol would feel that way. (Of course, as any cat owner knows after a trip to the vet, it isn't the initial price tag that is the spendy part of owning a cat!
)

I've seen purebred cats in shelters. Mostly Siamese and Persians. I was surprised one time to see 2 Cornish Rex at the shelter we adopted Delilah from. The person we adopted Sprout (Sphynx) from had adopted him from the Humane Society! I don't think pedigree papers protects any animal from ending up in a shelter, regardless of breed or species.

I'm not sure how to answer the last question. I have both, and there is no way I could choose between any of them!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You should never have changed the KatKwery standings page to have KatKwery follow the mouse! I just got totally hypnotized playing with it.

I do not have pedigree cats. Why? Well, one, I only have one cat, is why!
She happens to be a pound kitty.

Now, before I make enemies on here answering the rest of the questions, I feel very passionately about RESCUING pets instead of buying. In fact, my favorite and best Speech class assignment was exactly that. I even said, if for whatever (ridiculous) reason you are dead set on a purebred, RESCUE it. There are tons of breed rescues out there. So, keep that in mind as you read the rest!

So, why don't I have pedigree cats? Because they are not worth it. In fact, I think it's terrible that people would do such a thing. I don't like breeders. (No offense to breeders!!) There are so many homeless cats out there... And then to charge so much for a pet?? I mean, I can't imagine trying to make money of a living, breathing, darling animal! The only time I ever gave up a pet, I could never charge the person. I couldn't make money of another soul! And besides, by nature of being purebred, they are inbred. A good breeder will be careful and not have their money makers TOO inbred, but they still are. That means that you pay an obscene amount of money for a cat that is likely to be less healthy.

Other than the level of health and obvious DESIRED birth defects (squished noses, hair in the eyes), there's not much difference in pedigree versus mixed cats. Another reason I'd never buy a cat. They're all sweet, loving darlings (except for those that are too inbred and have some mental issues, I've seen lots of those) that deserve GOOD homes, and to be loved for who they are and not how much they cost.

Oh, I definitely think it's considered a status symbol. Why else would people do it? You can find most purebred cats in shelters and rescues- oh, but THEY aren't pedigree! OOoo... So it must be for status, because looks and health and personality are others as similar as can be.

Heh, I got my kitty at the pound, but I didn't notice any purebreds. Not because they weren't there, but becaues I wouldn't recognize one if it were in front of me with a sign on it!
I know Evie was in a cage with two siamese looking kitties. Not sure if that's considered "pure bred", since I know I have a feral and foster that are siamese and their parents aren't, so not sure the genetics behind that.

Sure, if all were equal, my choice would be "equal". I would consider who needed me the most, and of those who I thought would be the best fit for our home. Of course, the way I see it, all kitties are equal in that sense already. Just most "pedigree" cats at a breeder don't need a home- they're not at risk of death!