Thoughts on these paint colors?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys : )
I need input from you folks that can picture colors together. I usually can but not for the exterior of my house apparently.
The whole thing needs repainted but right now Im focusing on the storm windows, I just moved in about seven months ago and am finally getting around to replacing the broken panes and reglazing all the panes that are about to fall out
but I want to paint them while they're down.
I was thinking a dark sort of crimson deep red, not bright at all. So when they're up (only during the cold months) it'll be sort of seasonal. But I dont want it to look like someone threw tomatoes at the house or something. I just cant picture it.
So, here are two pictures of the house, the storm windows on top are metal, and stay up year round (they have screens that slide down) and I dont think they can be painted so its just the four bottom windows that are currently (peeling) black and then two windows on the bottom on each side.
Once I get to painting the house and all the trim, the trim will be something like dark green or dark blue.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I have trouble picturing it too, but looking at your house I see there's red in the basement and chimney, so if the storm windows matched that red I think that would look nice.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking a dark sort of crimson deep red, not bright at all
Once I get to painting the house and all the trim, the trim will be something like dark green or dark blue
I hate to say this, but you will be forever known as the Christmas House if you mix the red and green. However, if you paint the windows and the trim both the red, it would look really nice!

Think of the color wheel. Colors that are beside each other are complimentary. They would be thought of as calming. Colors opposite each other would also work together, but it would be a bold statement! Blue and orange = bold. Blue and green = calming.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with the red/green theme ....NO!

If you plan on doing trim in a green, then do the windows in green. Personally I like dark crimson/red over the green; but a lot of people like green.

Both DH and I don't like green. However with log houses, we do agree green goes better

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what's a storm window?? I can't picture what you're talking about just because I don't know!
What kind of window is only on seasonally?

Anyway, I'm not posting just to sound ignorant.
Everyone is saying no to the red and green, and I agree if it looks Christmas-y. But you said dark colors, so I thought I'd throw in an example.

To me it doesn't look too bad, but maybe others will disagree! Just threw it in because it may help you viusualize... Good luck! And I want to say, that is such a cute little house!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you clean the metal frames of the storm windows and make sure the paint you buy can be used on metal it would be best to paint them all. It will be noticable if they are not all the same colors.
Go to Benjamin Moore's website for pictures of colors that you can change to see if you like them.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

If you clean the metal frames of the storm windows and make sure the paint you buy can be used on metal it would be best to paint them all.
And I second the motion of going with one color for all the windows and trim! Your basement walls look to me like what Frank Lloyd Wright called "Indian Red" -- that would be lovely all around! And black shutters would make a nice accent, if you ever decided to add some.

I just love your house! I'd love to see the inside, too!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Personally I would prefer the storm windows to match the trim.

All of it in deep crimson would look neat!
I agree. Nothing like clashing colours between siding, trim, windows and doors. Less is definitely more.

My personal choice for trim wouldn't be red though. I prefer more understated looks and actually like the navy that is showing in the pictures you posted.

But if you insist on changing it, either do all red trim and windows, or all green trim and windows, but don't mix them up.

Have you considered a nice yellow colour?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the compliments

I bought red today so here's to hoping it looks good!
The storm windows are just the windows that have the black edging (you can really see it in the first picture) those come off in the summer and go up in the winter as extra insulation.
I agree, I want all the window trim to be the same, but Im using only historical colors (my house is civil war era) inside and out and I dont think the paint brand Im using has paint that goes on metal. I'll have to check, but for right now Im just gonna worry about the bottom windows. It is too bad that the top windows are different from the bottom, looks a little funny already but oh well.
I hadnt considered yellow for the outside but my entry way is yellow

I've been redoing the inside (taking down 5 layers of wallpaper and painting etc.) if anyone wants to see pictures feel free to PM me

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To take it a step further, have you considered painting the removable storms one color and the casing around all the windows in a different color? I personally like a 3-color-scheme when painting the exterior of a house. I think too muich of one color for trim is monotonous. For example, the casings in black and the storms in that Indian Red color. Or vice-versa. I'd also add some of that trim color to the porch trim, just to kick it up a little.

I love the look of your house; it should look amazing when you're done painting. Strangely enough, I also really like that stove on your porch! Are you going to leave it there as a focal point and decorate around it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just compiled all my house pictures into one photobucket folder so if anyone wants to look here is the link

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v133/MonaxLisa/House/

My thought had been to paint the storm windows one color and the rest of the trim/casing another, I was thinking dark blue or green (sounds like green is out though
) but I like the idea of using a nice simple black, for some reason that hadnt occured to me!

I definitely want to add come color to the porch but that'll be next year, it has to be scraped first (bleh) and Im thinking the main color probably needs to be painted on first so all the painted trim doesnt have to be taped off. What a hassle!

And the stove is staying! Right now its got potted orange geraniums and begonias all over it, it looks pretty good!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just took a look at your pics on photobucket; I love that sagey green color in the first few pics. How lucky you are---it looks as if the woodwork hasn't been painted.
That sage green color made me think of a different color combo for the outside--a deeper sage and a mustard color. OOOOO, pretty.
Unless, of course, your heart is set on the dark red; then I definitely think black is the way to go.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Personally I would prefer the storm windows to match the trim.

All of it in deep crimson would look neat!
I agree!!! I think that would look really nice!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, your house is gorgeous!!!! What a fabulous project - that's what I love about old houses, they have so much character and something like a coat of paint makes such a difference.

I particularly love the pic of the house in the snow - beautiful!

And I also had never heard of the concept of storm windows
Are they extra glazing to keep the cold out, or extra protection to keep the windows from breaking in high winds (or both...)?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both - its like having a double window - more to keep out the cold/wind then anything else. The older homes have them. Newer ones have thicker glass and better insulation.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I"d better explain the concept of an old home's storm windows. A storm window is basically a wooden framed piece (or 2, depending on the size) of glass. It's usually held in place from the inside by a few hooks & eyes. Come spring you take out the heavy winter storm window and replace it with a wooden framed screen. It's quite a job to do an entire house's windows every spring and fall, as the winter storms can be HEAVY! On the plus side, tho, the wood is a great insulator. On the down side, you have to store them and the wood is going to rot eventually.

Hope that all made sense.

I loved the pic of the house in the snow, too.