Question Of The Day - Wednesday, August 20th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good morning!

Here's today's question of the day!

How do you feel about taking medicine? Are you someone who takes lots of medicines, or do you only take medicine if you're nearly on your death bed?

It seems like the older I get, the more medicines I wind up taking on a daily basis!

Right now I take muscle relaxers for my back, Inderal for migraine prevention, oral contraceptives, and Zyrtec (for my cat allergies!), and my multivitamins. Oh yeah, I nearly forgot about the two different eye drops that I've been using for my ongoing (two months now) eye issues....grrrr....!

I can see me in my geriatric years....the little old neighborhood cat lady, with her kitchen table so full of pill bottles, that she has to eat dinner standing at the kitchen counter, lol! I imagine I'll be the poster child for POLYPHARMACY

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't take meds unless I have to. I sometimes take an advil for a headache, but I am not quick to take meds at all.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not taking anything on a daily basis but I'm sure with the allergies starting to ramp up Sudafed is going be taken pretty soon!

I'll take OTC stuff for aches and pains fairly quickly vs suffering.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't take any medicines ever, unless 100% necessary. I don't even take Tylenol for headaches or cramps. I can't swallow pills very well, it usually takes me over an hour to swallow one pill... so I just avoid it whenever possible. It's not worth it anyway, for pain relievers, because they don't get rid of my pain.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't take anything regular really, but I will take them if I need them. I'm not going to suffer with a headache when I can pop a couple of aspirin!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately because of my joint issues I do take a couple on a regular basis.

I take Celebrex daily and I take one called Pantopra to protect my stomach from the side affects of taking Celebrex everyday.

I do have strong pain meds for when my knees and hands are really bothering me but only take those when necessary.
I use to take blood pressure meds but got to go off those..
And I also take multivitamin with iron daily.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I am not taking any. I really do not like to either and will search for a more natural or homeopathic approach when I can or need to, but it doesnt always work out like I want and sometimes I have to take meds.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

How do you feel about taking medicine? Are you someone who takes lots of medicines, or do you only take medicine if you're nearly on your death bed?
....It depends...

when is just flu or cold,...sometimes I prefer to die on my bed...

But when is stomachache with fever I´ll go with the doctor...

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I take daily blood pressure meds and I'm not opposed to popping a few advil when I have a headache, but I'm not big on anti-biotics or OTC cold medicine. I will suffer until it's unbearable or I develop bronchitis

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take daily meds for my crohns disease..have since I was 19..Also take other daily meds due to complications from the Crohns..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My desk looks like a pharmacy....

I take my Midodrine daily, I need it to keep my blood pressure from falling when I stand and to control tachycardia.
I'm supposed to take potassium and magnesium daily.
There's my Relafen which I take when my back starts to bothering me to help control inflammation. I don't take it daily as it's too rough on my stomach.
A bottle of Nexium - doctor wanted to see if it worked better for me then Prilosec (not seeing a difference).
I have the tramadol and flexeril which I will only take if I'm in really bad pain - which I haven't had much of lately. (not falling multiple times a week amazingly helps that)
Some Phenergan which I may toss out, not sure yet. And acetaminophen for headaches and pain.

Sounds like a lot, but for the most part I only take the Midodrine, potassium, and magnesium.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm fortunate to not have any chronic health problems that would prompt me to take medicines daily, but I think I don't think I could function without Excedrin for my headaches. I sometimes take Advil for cramps, and I will definitely take Sudafed for a head cold (not that PE crap though, that stuff doesn't work).

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certain times of the year, I have to take sinus medicine (usually Advil cold and Sinus...the kind they took off the shelves and now you have to sign for it) or else I get terrible sinus headaches. But some times I can go without. I have nothing against taking Ibuprophen. I don't really like taking anti-biotics because I think they are over prescribed, but will take them if I KNOW they are needed (sinus infections, etc). If it is prescribed for something that is viral I won't even fill it.

Right now I'm taking Naproxin (sp?) and Flexiril for back problems, but only when needed.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no problem taking excedrin when I have a headache or cold medicine if I have a cold. I would rather take it and feel better.

I don't take anything daily though.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I don't take any medicines ever, unless 100% necessary. I don't even take Tylenol for headaches or cramps. I can't swallow pills very well, it usually takes me over an hour to swallow one pill... so I just avoid it whenever possible. It's not worth it anyway, for pain relievers, because they don't get rid of my pain.
That would be me!!!
I don't know about you bnwalker, but it takes me so long because I tend to throw them up instead of swallow them, so they end up sitting in my mouth too long and dissolve and then I throw them away and start over again! So everyone hates me because I waste so many...

So yeah, I avoid swallow-pills like the plague! My cabinets are full of liquids and dissolving pills and the strips...
Even BC I refused to take pills!

And yet, now I am taking these monstrous pre-natal pills... SIX a day!
The good news is, I'm actually getting better! It's gone from a many-hour ordeal, to just a few-hour ordeal. The things I do for my future kids!

As for the actual question of the day, I have no problem taking non-pill drugs if I need them. I am pretty stubborn, so I'll fight it as long as I can, but as soon as I realize I've lost, I fill up on drugs! Well, you know, the normal amount.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like it, but I have medications for cholesterol, blood pressure, and allergies that I have to take every day. I try not to take anything else unless I have to.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

And yet, now I am taking these monstrous pre-natal pills... SIX a day!
The good news is, I'm actually getting better! It's gone from a many-hour ordeal, to just a few-hour ordeal. The things I do for my future kids!
My step sister can't take the pre-natal pills - they make her sick. Her doctor said it was ok to take the chewable kids vitamins.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

My step sister can't take the pre-natal pills - they make her sick. Her doctor said it was ok to take the chewable kids vitamins.
Wow, that would be terrible! If she needs it for prenatal, do the kid's vitamins have enough folic acid? I guess the dr knows what he's talking about! Mine are tough to take, but they're not too bad on the stomach. I got this special "organic, gentle on the stomach" stuff. Not that I believe that is anything more than a marketing tactic, but oh well!