I think my new baby has FIP

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About 2 months ago my dad brought a new kitten home. He was about 6 months or so. He was living in the middle of a construction zone for a new school. My dad and his employees had been feeding the kitty everyday, but when it was time to move worksite location he felt bad leaving the kitty there, so he brought him home to me.

A week after Mitchell living with me, i took him to the vet neutered him and had him tested for Feline aids and leukimia, it was negative.

Now fast forward one month later, i notice he has a small ball on one of his little thighs (swollen lymph node i assume). The ball is gone now. Yet, a once playful kitten now sleeps all day. He eats as normal, but seems to lack the energy he once had. I'm a bit concerned because he shares living space with 3 of my other kids.

I've been reading FIP symptoms online, and I'm worried that my new baby has it. I know it's fatal...... I'm just hoping my other 3 don't have it. I've read that it's quite difficult to diagnos this disease. I once picked up a kitty who died from leukimia and one from feline aids so i'm terrified

My cats mean the world to me
without them I would be miserable .

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs to go to the vet & soon. The lump on the leg could be anything, as could the lethargy. The more you read the more you'll worry yourself.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It more than likely isn't FIP sounds more like a reaction to a shot if the cat got a vaccination in the leg recently? FIP is difficult to diagnose, but just having lost several kittens to suspected FIP you look for diarrhea that doesn't seem to end, high fevers, and wet pouches in the chest or abdomen if they have wet FIP.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would agree with the others. both on it not sounding like FIP and getting him back to the vet asap.

good luck, it is scary when our kitties are poorly. let us know how he is.

heather40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree. My cat had a lump on his leg after his shots. I worried because it stayed around a while. I took him back to the vet, and that's what it was. He was also lethargic for several days after his shots, and his energy level became lower after neutering. Keep us posted!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has he been lethargic and sleeping so much? When he wakes up does his eyes look like he is all groggy or drugged up? Also is he still eating heartily??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's been lethargic for about 2 weeks or so. When he wakes up his eyes do look drugged up. Today his eyes were watery. The bump on his legged was noticed after he got his rabies shot when neutered. He is eating fine. But just has no energy. He appears somewhat sad. Last night he felt a bit hot as is he did have fever. The blood vessels in his little ears were quite red and blotchy looking.

He is going to the vet on saturday.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly? I would have taken him yesterday.

Good luck-

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lethargy isn't something to mess around with. Jack was lethargic for 6 hours and it killed me to wait that long to go to the vet, but we had no choice. I can't imagine waiting any longer, we got to the vet and his fever was 106, he could have started to have seizures at that point!

Get your cat to the vet immediately!

Leslie

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go to the Vet now. My Meeko was acting that way and I took her fast. Her fever was about 105 and she just would lay there. I took Meeko the same day. It isnt safe to wait.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to get him in sooner? Usually vets try to keep some emergency slots open in the schedules, and, while i'm hoping it's not an emergency, it'd be so nice for your baby to be seen now, just in case.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I would go to the Vet now. My Meeko was acting that way and I took her fast. Her fever was about 105 and she just would lay there. I took Meeko the same day. It isnt safe to wait.
What did your Meeko have?

Originally Posted by darlili

Is it possible to get him in sooner? Usually vets try to keep some emergency slots open in the schedules, and, while i'm hoping it's not an emergency, it'd be so nice for your baby to be seen now, just in case.
I'm going to try and take him tomorrow morning before work. It's just kind of hard to get off work this week, but I am going to try my hardest to get away from work for a few hours to take him.

Thanks to all for your input. Greatly appreciated

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know - it's so hard when your work hours and the practice hours don't jibe. I hope he gets better over the evening, and that you get a 'good' diagnosis from the vet tomorrow.

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know why his nose would be swollen??

I just got home and he is still just sleeping, his breathing is a bit abnormal and his nose is swollen???? I've never seen or heard of such thing....

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm.... I say stop wondering, get your baby to the vet. It could be minor, or it could be serious, there's no way we can diagnose! Do keep us posted on what the vet's diagnosis is.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BabyWukong

Hmm.... I say stop wondering, get your baby to the vet. It could be minor, or it could be serious, there's no way we can diagnose! Do keep us posted on what the vet's diagnosis is.
it'd be pricey, but i'd be willing to bet there's an e-vet near you [assuming you're really in Miami]. i mean, there's one only 40 minutes from me - & i live in a small town w/a population of about 7,000...

bmw kitty cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

it'd be pricey, but i'd be willing to bet there's an e-vet near you [assuming you're really in Miami]. i mean, there's one only 40 minutes from me - & i live in a small town w/a population of about 7,000...
I do live in Miami. There are a couple of e-vets around here. However, my experience with them have not been good. I took one of my cats there once and they were not helpful whatsoever! A was slapped with a bill of 700 for nothing!!!! Second incident, I took one of my dogs, same scenario. I don't think the vets at these emergency centers really care.

I've been with the same vet for the past 10 years and I must say I absolutely love him. He is great! Not to mention he gives me a discount each visit. BTW, I have a total of 8 cats and 5 dogs

I don't want to wait till Saturday but it looks like i will have to. I work and go to school and with my schedule it's been quite difficult. It's hurts me to see him feeling this way but if he could hang in there for 2 more days, on Saturday at 9:00am I will take him.