New Kitten and Diarrhea

angelrn08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My new kitten is Parasite negative, but seems to have progessingly worse diareah. I have him on Purina one, and the vet gave him a multivitamin. Any ideas?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food intolerance issue?
How old is the kitten?

I'm assuming a stool sample was tested? Sometimes things like coccidia/giardia do not show up on a stool sample, even though they are present. I suggest taking in another stool sample in a week or so if there are still loose stools.

Meantime, it is important that you monitor your kitten closely for dehydration. A dehydrated cat/kitten will become very very very ill quickly.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sure wouldn't let the diarrhea continue for too long. They lose alot of fluid and nutrition..which can be very harmful for a kitten.

Can you take him back to the Vet to try to figure out what's causing the problem.

Sometimes the tranistion between the old food and the food you're feeding him can cause some gastric upset, but that should go away within a few days.

Perhaps let him eat a milder type wet food...chicken or something. I'm not familiar with kittens and diarrhea...only one of mine had a mild 'attack' when she came to live with me...but she was fine within 48 hours.

He really should be seen by a Vet who will investigate further. Diarrhea is not good for kittens, or humans....!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelrn08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, maybe I shouldnt say diareah, its more like wattery stool. He goes about 3-4 times a day and it is wattery most of the time. This morning it was formed, but then this evening it was wattery again. The vet got a fresh specimen, and he done blood tests. Do you think it could be just the food? He is 4 mo old. I do give him soft food once a day mixed with his hard food. but he eats ALL the time.

Oh the breeder said he had diareah there too, and her vet said it was food, and they put him on Kitten Kabootle? Which is a cheap food?

Thanks again

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
try wet food [for the moisture content - you can even add extra water] & also some plain pumpkin - make sure it's the 100% pumpkin, NOT pie filling w/spices & sugar.
another option - plain boiled chicken + rice - blend w/some of the boiling water to puree stage.
if there's a Petco or Petsmart nearby, get some Bene-Bac.
my Java started out w/soft stools, progressed to watery diarrhea. she had a bacterial intestinal overgrowth. it took 2 rounds of antibiotics + a round of the Bene-Bac [probiotic] to get rid of.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kit N Kaboodle is a cheap/not very good food. If he's had loose stools since with the breeder, I'd suspect an issue with an ingredient/ingredients in the food. sharky will hopefully be along soon with some suggestions.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LIKELY the food change has alot to do with this ... did you slowly mix over about 2 weeks the new food??/

IMHO kit n kabodles

When was he wormed ?? was it only once??

angelrn08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was wormed on 7/20. The vet wanted to wait until he settled in a little to worm him and give him his shots.....so he goes back to the vet monday. I introduced the new food over 5 days......

He just had revolution as well (which takes care of hook worms and I think round worms)

Is Purina One a good food, should I try something for sensitive digestive tract?

Thanks

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just a note of caution - please do not administer over-the-counter/on-line or non-vet recommended meds to your cat. Nobody on this site is a vet and we cannot legally give medical advice - we can only share our own experiences and give perhaps some information regarding things to ask your vet about.

angelrn08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

just to give you an update. Keegan went back to the vet today. He had his boosters and rabies vaccination. He also gained 2 ounces.
The vet is concerned about the soft poo, and ran tests but everything is negative. He was dewormed just to be safe, and switched to hills science diet kitten food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
VERY good on the wt results..

SD read the ingrediants youll find usually ONE IMHO is better ....

Did he give you I/D?? A/D??

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelrn08

Hello,

just to give you an update. Keegan went back to the vet today. He had his boosters and rabies vaccination. He also gained 2 ounces.
The vet is concerned about the soft poo, and ran tests but everything is negative. He was dewormed just to be safe, and switched to hills science diet kitten food.
I had sent you a pm last week but now I'm not sure that you received it. Did your vet send off for the PCR test to check for tritrich? If not, then your vet can't rule out that your cat is negative for all parasites. You should definitely have this checked, especially since you got your kitty from a breeder.

angelrn08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did get it, and I mentioned it. That is the next step if the runny poo isnt clear soon. My vet thinks it is just stress, food changes, etc....but the breeder e-mailed me and said that his brother still has diareah so.....I dont know what to think

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please go to www.catinfo.org immediately, this is the only website written by a vet that I've ever come across, and she talks about her own cat who had severe diarrhea problems and only one thing solved it: raw meat without grains nor vegetables. She adds supplements because even though cats are carnivores they cannot survive on meat alone. This vet did extensive research in cat nutrition and has offered a truckload of free information on her website, which is very generous of her. Please read it asap for your cat's health!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chowchow

Please go to www.catinfo.org immediately, this is the only website written by a vet that I've ever come across, and she talks about her own cat who had severe diarrhea problems and only one thing solved it: raw meat without grains nor vegetables. She adds supplements because even though cats are carnivores they cannot survive on meat alone. This vet did extensive research in cat nutrition and has offered a truckload of free information on her website, which is very generous of her. Please read it asap for your cat's health!
there are actually MANY sites written by vets ONLINE... Please do some research
... Remember there is NO online substitute for a in the flesh vet who is seeing and testing the ACTUAL cat .. Different things help different cats , some cats ON THIS site have Died from eating raw food ... So this is not something I recommend trying without talking with a in the flesh vet ... I personally do like raw food and have seen it both work and Not work

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by chowchow

As Sharky stated in another thread, please do not use on-line information to treat your pet. Even if that site is written by a vet, no vet worth their salt would even consider diagnosing and recommending treatment of an animal via internet. If they did so, then they are not practicing true veterinary medicine. We also don't know how often that site is updated - it could just as easily been there for years and the information is as old as the dinosaurs - I for sure don't know. Please folks, read, take down information and list questions to ask your OWN vet when you take your pet for diagnosis.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

As Sharky stated in another thread, please do not use on-line information to treat your pet. Even if that site is written by a vet, no vet worth their salt would even consider diagnosing and recommending treatment of an animal via internet. If they did so, then they are not practicing true veterinary medicine. We also don't know how often that site is updated - it could just as easily been there for years and the information is as old as the dinosaurs - I for sure don't know. Please folks, read, take down information and list questions to ask your OWN vet when you take your pet for diagnosis.
The catinfo.org is indeed the property/work of a well-respected Veterinarian, Dr. Lisa A. Pierson DVM, who practices in Lomita, California...and who can even be reached by telephone at 1-310-375-2467. Dr. Pierson also provides telephone consultations and can be reached by email at [email protected] ...and, she last updated her site in February 2008.

chowchow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you read catinfo.org, it will start to make sense how inappropriate food for cats is a big contributor to all sorts of health problems.

I experienced this first-hand with my cat who had diarrhea after I gave him Whiskas Temptations cat treats for 4 days. Even though I stopped giving him the treats after the 4th day, his diarrhea continued for 5 freaking months!!! I took him to a vet who prescribed anti-diarrhea medication and it made it FAR worse!! It was a horrible, horrible nightmare!!! He was pooping diarrhea on the sofa, on our white comforter, on top of the air conditoner, everywhere!!

I consulted Dr. Lisa Pierson over the phone and she recommended raw food but our cat didn't eat it. So I tried Dr. Pierson's second recommendation, which is commercial canned food, and she lists the best brands on her website. Our cat did eat this and HIS DIARRHEA ENDED RIGHT AWAY, it was unbelievable!!! That was a year ago and his diarrhea never returned because we've stuck to the brands Dr. Pierson recommends.

This is why I have a better understanding of why the food we feed our cats is so critical to their health. Angelrn08, you have nothing to lose by reading Dr. Pierson's website.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

The catinfo.org is indeed the property/work of a well-respected Veterinarian, Dr. Lisa A. Pierson DVM, who practices in Lomita, California...and who can even be reached by telephone at 1-310-375-2467. Dr. Pierson also provides telephone consultations and can be reached by email at [email protected] ...and, she last updated her site in February 2008.
I will politely state a phone consult is of little use, unless there is a Known diagnosis.. I would use a phone consult with a vet who has no records of and has not seen the animal in question with a grain of salt .. this is my opinion only ... I have had a human version of this with near death resulting