TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › New Kitten and Diarrhea
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Kitten and Diarrhea

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hello,

My new kitten is Parasite negative, but seems to have progessingly worse diareah. I have him on Purina one, and the vet gave him a multivitamin. Any ideas?
post #2 of 23
Food intolerance issue? How old is the kitten?

I'm assuming a stool sample was tested? Sometimes things like coccidia/giardia do not show up on a stool sample, even though they are present. I suggest taking in another stool sample in a week or so if there are still loose stools.

Meantime, it is important that you monitor your kitten closely for dehydration. A dehydrated cat/kitten will become very very very ill quickly.
post #3 of 23
I sure wouldn't let the diarrhea continue for too long. They lose alot of fluid and nutrition..which can be very harmful for a kitten.

Can you take him back to the Vet to try to figure out what's causing the problem.

Sometimes the tranistion between the old food and the food you're feeding him can cause some gastric upset, but that should go away within a few days.

Perhaps let him eat a milder type wet food...chicken or something. I'm not familiar with kittens and diarrhea...only one of mine had a mild 'attack' when she came to live with me...but she was fine within 48 hours.

He really should be seen by a Vet who will investigate further. Diarrhea is not good for kittens, or humans....!!
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Okay, maybe I shouldnt say diareah, its more like wattery stool. He goes about 3-4 times a day and it is wattery most of the time. This morning it was formed, but then this evening it was wattery again. The vet got a fresh specimen, and he done blood tests. Do you think it could be just the food? He is 4 mo old. I do give him soft food once a day mixed with his hard food. but he eats ALL the time.

Oh the breeder said he had diareah there too, and her vet said it was food, and they put him on Kitten Kabootle? Which is a cheap food?

Thanks again
post #5 of 23
try wet food [for the moisture content - you can even add extra water] & also some plain pumpkin - make sure it's the 100% pumpkin, NOT pie filling w/spices & sugar.
another option - plain boiled chicken + rice - blend w/some of the boiling water to puree stage.
if there's a Petco or Petsmart nearby, get some Bene-Bac.
my Java started out w/soft stools, progressed to watery diarrhea. she had a bacterial intestinal overgrowth. it took 2 rounds of antibiotics + a round of the Bene-Bac [probiotic] to get rid of.
post #6 of 23
Kit N Kaboodle is a cheap/not very good food. If he's had loose stools since with the breeder, I'd suspect an issue with an ingredient/ingredients in the food. sharky will hopefully be along soon with some suggestions.
post #7 of 23
LIKELY the food change has alot to do with this ... did you slowly mix over about 2 weeks the new food??/

IMHO kit n kabodles

When was he wormed ?? was it only once??
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
He was wormed on 7/20. The vet wanted to wait until he settled in a little to worm him and give him his shots.....so he goes back to the vet monday. I introduced the new food over 5 days......

He just had revolution as well (which takes care of hook worms and I think round worms)

Is Purina One a good food, should I try something for sensitive digestive tract?

Thanks
post #9 of 23
Hi angelrn08 - I sent you a pm!
post #10 of 23
Just a note of caution - please do not administer over-the-counter/on-line or non-vet recommended meds to your cat. Nobody on this site is a vet and we cannot legally give medical advice - we can only share our own experiences and give perhaps some information regarding things to ask your vet about.
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Hello,

just to give you an update. Keegan went back to the vet today. He had his boosters and rabies vaccination. He also gained 2 ounces. The vet is concerned about the soft poo, and ran tests but everything is negative. He was dewormed just to be safe, and switched to hills science diet kitten food.
post #12 of 23
VERY good on the wt results..

SD read the ingrediants youll find usually ONE IMHO is better ....

Did he give you I/D?? A/D??
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelrn08 View Post
Hello,

just to give you an update. Keegan went back to the vet today. He had his boosters and rabies vaccination. He also gained 2 ounces. The vet is concerned about the soft poo, and ran tests but everything is negative. He was dewormed just to be safe, and switched to hills science diet kitten food.
I had sent you a pm last week but now I'm not sure that you received it. Did your vet send off for the PCR test to check for tritrich? If not, then your vet can't rule out that your cat is negative for all parasites. You should definitely have this checked, especially since you got your kitty from a breeder.
post #14 of 23
Thread Starter 
I did get it, and I mentioned it. That is the next step if the runny poo isnt clear soon. My vet thinks it is just stress, food changes, etc....but the breeder e-mailed me and said that his brother still has diareah so.....I dont know what to think
post #15 of 23
Please go to www.catinfo.org immediately, this is the only website written by a vet that I've ever come across, and she talks about her own cat who had severe diarrhea problems and only one thing solved it: raw meat without grains nor vegetables. She adds supplements because even though cats are carnivores they cannot survive on meat alone. This vet did extensive research in cat nutrition and has offered a truckload of free information on her website, which is very generous of her. Please read it asap for your cat's health!
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
Please go to www.catinfo.org immediately, this is the only website written by a vet that I've ever come across, and she talks about her own cat who had severe diarrhea problems and only one thing solved it: raw meat without grains nor vegetables. She adds supplements because even though cats are carnivores they cannot survive on meat alone. This vet did extensive research in cat nutrition and has offered a truckload of free information on her website, which is very generous of her. Please read it asap for your cat's health!
there are actually MANY sites written by vets ONLINE... Please do some research... Remember there is NO online substitute for a in the flesh vet who is seeing and testing the ACTUAL cat .. Different things help different cats , some cats ON THIS site have Died from eating raw food ... So this is not something I recommend trying without talking with a in the flesh vet ... I personally do like raw food and have seen it both work and Not work
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowchow View Post
Please go to www.catinfo.org immediately, this is the only website written by a vet that I've ever come across, and she talks about her own cat who had severe diarrhea problems and only one thing solved it: raw meat without grains nor vegetables. She adds supplements because even though cats are carnivores they cannot survive on meat alone. This vet did extensive research in cat nutrition and has offered a truckload of free information on her website, which is very generous of her. Please read it asap for your cat's health!
As Sharky stated in another thread, please do not use on-line information to treat your pet. Even if that site is written by a vet, no vet worth their salt would even consider diagnosing and recommending treatment of an animal via internet. If they did so, then they are not practicing true veterinary medicine. We also don't know how often that site is updated - it could just as easily been there for years and the information is as old as the dinosaurs - I for sure don't know. Please folks, read, take down information and list questions to ask your OWN vet when you take your pet for diagnosis.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
As Sharky stated in another thread, please do not use on-line information to treat your pet. Even if that site is written by a vet, no vet worth their salt would even consider diagnosing and recommending treatment of an animal via internet. If they did so, then they are not practicing true veterinary medicine. We also don't know how often that site is updated - it could just as easily been there for years and the information is as old as the dinosaurs - I for sure don't know. Please folks, read, take down information and list questions to ask your OWN vet when you take your pet for diagnosis.
The catinfo.org is indeed the property/work of a well-respected Veterinarian, Dr. Lisa A. Pierson DVM, who practices in Lomita, California...and who can even be reached by telephone at 1-310-375-2467. Dr. Pierson also provides telephone consultations and can be reached by email at DrPierson@catinfo.org ...and, she last updated her site in February 2008.
post #19 of 23
If you read catinfo.org, it will start to make sense how inappropriate food for cats is a big contributor to all sorts of health problems.

I experienced this first-hand with my cat who had diarrhea after I gave him Whiskas Temptations cat treats for 4 days. Even though I stopped giving him the treats after the 4th day, his diarrhea continued for 5 freaking months!!! I took him to a vet who prescribed anti-diarrhea medication and it made it FAR worse!! It was a horrible, horrible nightmare!!! He was pooping diarrhea on the sofa, on our white comforter, on top of the air conditoner, everywhere!!

I consulted Dr. Lisa Pierson over the phone and she recommended raw food but our cat didn't eat it. So I tried Dr. Pierson's second recommendation, which is commercial canned food, and she lists the best brands on her website. Our cat did eat this and HIS DIARRHEA ENDED RIGHT AWAY, it was unbelievable!!! That was a year ago and his diarrhea never returned because we've stuck to the brands Dr. Pierson recommends.

This is why I have a better understanding of why the food we feed our cats is so critical to their health. Angelrn08, you have nothing to lose by reading Dr. Pierson's website.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAISE View Post
The catinfo.org is indeed the property/work of a well-respected Veterinarian, Dr. Lisa A. Pierson DVM, who practices in Lomita, California...and who can even be reached by telephone at 1-310-375-2467. Dr. Pierson also provides telephone consultations and can be reached by email at DrPierson@catinfo.org ...and, she last updated her site in February 2008.
I will politely state a phone consult is of little use, unless there is a Known diagnosis.. I would use a phone consult with a vet who has no records of and has not seen the animal in question with a grain of salt .. this is my opinion only ... I have had a human version of this with near death resulting
post #21 of 23
chowchow-
I'm so glad to hear that someone on TCS has availed of Dr. Pierson's consulting. Just recently, a member of a Yahoo CRF Support Group (which I belong to) also had a very successful consultation with her. Dr. Pierson even followed up with an email, which was then shared with the group. Thank heavens for the benefits we can reap from the Internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
...no vet worth their salt would even consider diagnosing and recommending treatment of an animal via internet. If they did so, then they are not practicing true veterinary medicine...
I seem to have missed this part earlier.

Yosemite, if only you had taken the time to evaluate the site, you would have seen Dr. Pierson's advice on the very first page:

"Information on this site is for general informational purposes only... This site is not intended to replace professional advice from your own veterinarian and nothing on this site is intended as a medical diagnosis or treatment. Any questions about your animal's health should be directed to your veterinarian"

So, clearly, this is not diagnosis and treatment, only information (take it or leave it),,,,,and furthermore, her mantra (and TCS's) is: consult with one's own Vet.
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAISE View Post
chowchow-
I'm so glad to hear that someone on TCS has availed of Dr. Pierson's consulting. Just recently, a member of a Yahoo CRF Support Group (which I belong to) also had a very successful consultation with her. Dr. Pierson even followed up with an email, which was then shared with the group. Thank heavens for the benefits we can reap from the Internet!



I seem to have missed this part earlier.

Yosemite, if only you had taken the time to evaluate the site, you would have seen Dr. Pierson's advice on the very first page:

"Information on this site is for general informational purposes only... This site is not intended to replace professional advice from your own veterinarian and nothing on this site is intended as a medical diagnosis or treatment. Any questions about your animal's health should be directed to your veterinarian"

So, clearly, this is not diagnosis and treatment, only information (take it or leave it),,,,,and furthermore, her mantra (and TCS's) is: consult with one's own Vet.

Which is exactly what I was saying - read the information on the internet (whether it be Dr. Pierson's or any other website), make notes, have questions ready for when you go to your own vet. We are finally on the same page!

Food recommendations IMO are not quite the same as medical diagnoses and treatment so people like Sharky (and of course Dr. Pierson since she seems to be one of the few vets that understands nutrition) can certainly be a great guide even over the internet.

ETA: Even food advice, if required for a specific medical condition, should always be discussed with your vet. If not for a medical condition, then of course it's fine for us lay people to recommend things like adding some canned pumpkin for diarrhea or constipation or baby food to jump-start the cat eating again, etc. Those things are not going to HURT the animal, but some things that have been suggested CAN and HAVE hurt or killed pets.

It really is a case of common sense, knowing that the internet isn't always reliable and getting medical advice from a professional. I know of NO human doctor that would diagnose a patient over the phone or internet and would be very suspect of one who would.
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelrn08 View Post
I did get it, and I mentioned it. That is the next step if the runny poo isnt clear soon. My vet thinks it is just stress, food changes, etc....but the breeder e-mailed me and said that his brother still has diareah so.....I dont know what to think
Just remember that most vets aren't familiar with this or think they are when they aren't. I would recommend that you mention it to your breeder as well, especially since both kittens are showing symptoms of TF. You're breeder should especially be informed and concerned about this as it is highly transmissible. In the only study I'm aware of, 30% of purebred cats were found to have this parasite, so it is highly likely that your kitty has it as well. I would be more inclined to agree with the stress/food change thing if the other kitten didn't have the same symptoms.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › New Kitten and Diarrhea