Anyone got a simple steak marinade?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't find any good simple marinades - the few I've looked at so far would involve me going out to the shops...

Suggestions?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

A favorite around here is Worstishire (sp?) sauce, with a dash of garlic powder. Can also add tyme and oregeno if you have it too.
Don't forget to add black pepper and maybe a little wasabi powder to that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! I just threw together basically everything I had - olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, HP sauce...
Then threw in some worcestershire sauce and pepper, and a bunch of herbs. Oh and some lemon juice because I read that somewhere...

If anyone has a particular marinade though I'd stil love to hear it for next time!

owenj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a good one a few months ago. It had olive oil, lemon juice, crushed mint, bay leaves, oregano, dillweed, rosemary, basil, thyme, salt/pepper, and I think some garlic. As much of everything as I thought I'd need. And it was very heavy on the mint and basil. Turned out really well.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my favorite steak marinades is equal parts catsup, honey and soysauce, with lots of crushed garlic. Grated fresh ginger is also a great addition, but some people don't care for the taste. It's great for pork, too!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Thanks guys! I just threw together basically everything I had - olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, HP sauce...
Then threw in some worcestershire sauce and pepper, and a bunch of herbs. Oh and some lemon juice because I read that somewhere...

If anyone has a particular marinade though I'd stil love to hear it for next time!
Sounds like the perfect marinade. The base is always olive oil and an acid, in your case you used lemon, and seasonings.

I tend to use olive oil, garlic and balsamic vinegar.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I discovered an awesome marinade/sauce for Tri-Tip. Maybe could be used for other steak too!

Equal parts of:

BBQ Sauce (your choice)
Dijon Mustard (or the like)
Pureed Salsa (also your choice)

O...M...G...does it make it taste so good!

I put it on the meat as it is cooking.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a lot of different things in mine- i always try to tenderize mine and marinate them over night if i have time so they get nice and juicy

I have lots of spices/etc in the house -so i have fun comming up with different combos! A few things i always use:

Garlic Salt (a must!!!!)
Black Peppercorn
Chili Powder
Spicy Season Salt
Terriaki Sauce (a must!)
Low Sodium Soy Sauce
Wostershire sauce (a must!!!)
Hosin Sauce (i use this in almost everything! it's great!!!!!!)
BBQ Sauce (if i have it)
Dijon Mustard (if i have it)

that combination makes for one awesome steak- especially if you let it marinate for a good while! I like to get a nice thick cut and then tenderize it- then i'll put it in a ziplock bag and load everthing up in there and shake it all around. I leave the steaks in the bag as long as i can (try to do it at least overnight so the marinade can really soak in!). When i get it on the grill i make sure the grill is hot and ready to go ahead of time before i put them on there....once i get them on there i only flip them once. They usually turn out pretty good

Sarah now you've got me drooling for a steak

I've got a few other marinades i do too. (one really yummy one involves a whole bottle of fat free zesty Italian dressing, lemon juice, chili powder, garlic powder, and olive oil).

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Zesty Italian salad dressing makes a wonderful steak marinade!
I agree with that! It also makes an awesome chicken marinade too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yeah I put garlic in as well! And the steaks turned out REALLY good!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah - if you can find it, its usually in the expensive type supermarkets, but Garlic Expressions is one of the best things you can have in your cupboard - it makes for a delicious marinade and it has real garlic inside the bottle. It is also delicious as a salad dressing - its so versatile!

https://www.garlic-expressions.com/default.asp

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use fresh garlic, fresh onion (dehydrated minced also works for onion/garlic), worchestershire sauce, olive oil, and italian seasons (oregano, sweet basil and thyme).

Oil is really a key ingredient as it helps to tenderize.