I dont get it (troublesome cat pooping)

2sbetterthan1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I own two cats, one is about 2 the other is about 5. As of about a couple months ago the older one, which is male, began to poop on my floor.

This strikes me as odd because:

- He has been litter trained for 5 years with no problems. The current apartment i live in he's been in for 11 months with no problems, with the litter remaining in the same spot.

- He has been eating the same exact food and using the same litter for 5 years.

- I clean the litter quite often and thoroughly, and have even been cleaning it more frequently since the problem has started.

- He doesnt always poop on the floor. He does it about 1-2 times per week, and he poops daily.

- The other cat has no issues with using the litter.

The only thing that comes to mind where anything in his life has been different, is that i havent spent as much time with him lately. Ive read that pooping on floors isnt a result of revenge, but i digress. He is a troublemaker, whenever he wants attention and doesnt get it, he does something bad to get attention.

EX: He used to be my brother's cat, and loved to jump into shower stalls shortly after a shower has been taken in one. My brother didnt like this, and would spray him w/water when he caught him. Personally i dont care if he does it or not. Occassionally when he's not getting attention and im in the bathroom, he will jump into the stall, poke his head out, and just stare at me with his ears down ( his ears always go down when he's in troublemaker mode ). Apparently he still thinks its not ok to go into the stall.

Sooo, any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this? I cant think of any reason why he is doing this all of a sudden starting 2 months ago, and its becomming a real pain having to clean turds off of the carpet!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2sBetterThan1

I own two cats, one is about 2 the other is about 5. As of about a couple months ago the older one, which is male, began to poop on my floor.

This strikes me as odd because:

- He has been litter trained for 5 years with no problems. The current apartment i live in he's been in for 11 months with no problems, with the litter remaining in the same spot.

- He has been eating the same exact food and using the same litter for 5 years.

- I clean the litter quite often and thoroughly, and have even been cleaning it more frequently since the problem has started.

- He doesnt always poop on the floor. He does it about 1-2 times per week, and he poops daily.

- The other cat has no issues with using the litter.

The only thing that comes to mind where anything in his life has been different, is that i havent spent as much time with him lately. Ive read that pooping on floors isnt a result of revenge, but i digress. He is a troublemaker, whenever he wants attention and doesnt get it, he does something bad to get attention.

EX: He used to be my brother's cat, and loved to jump into shower stalls shortly after a shower has been taken in one. My brother didnt like this, and would spray him w/water when he caught him. Personally i dont care if he does it or not. Occassionally when he's not getting attention and im in the bathroom, he will jump into the stall, poke his head out, and just stare at me with his ears down ( his ears always go down when he's in troublemaker mode ). Apparently he still thinks its not ok to go into the stall.

Sooo, any thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this? I cant think of any reason why he is doing this all of a sudden starting 2 months ago, and its becomming a real pain having to clean turds off of the carpet!
Hi
For the carpet I use Nature's Miracle with great success. Pour generously on the poop stain, work in product vigorously with fingers so it foams up. I always gloves for that part
That's it, just let it sit, no need to do anything else. If the foam turns brown, don't let it soak back into the carpet, just absorb the excess foam with paper towel, you may have to reapply a second time once it has dried.

Have you recently changed what you wash the box with? It's best to use plain dish soap and hot water. Harsh bleach and other types of disinfecting chemicals may seem like a good idea to us, but despite heavy rinsing, traces of the chemical's smell will remain and tend to repulse the cat as their sense of smell is very sensitive.

I would bring him in for a check up to rule out any medical issues.

It sounds like your cat is bored and "acts up" to get your attention. Trying spending more time with him, playing, bonding being extra affectionate etc.

Many cats are fascinated by water, especially the shower. My younger cat Samson often sits and watches as I take my shower (I have a glass door) and he likes to go in there after my shower or rub on my legs .. shrugs ... who knows why?

You mentioned your brother used to spray him when he did this. I just want to point out that spraying cats with water is not a good idea because the water could get in their ears or eyes and cause an infection

Wish I had more advice to offer.

happyhypnosis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does the same thing and i'm trying to figure why too. She's really social and lovable though. I do have 1 suggestion though, if its possible try moving the litterbox to the area where he is pooping, that might help. I hope it does

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2sbetterthan1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Ive tried spending more time with him and so far its working. I guess cat revenge isnt a myth after all? ( This one is very brilliant, probably too smart
)