*****KatKwery! - August 19*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sending WELDRWOMN points twice today, once for KatKwiz and 700 more for using thought (first). BelongsToEvie got to use calcium because WELDRWOMN had already used thought. It's not a myth that glitch keeps winning, and marianjela is as healthy as ever. Not used was found.

Today's KatKwiz was about acne.

Before TCS, did you know that cats got acne? How about YOU, have you ever suffered from acne? Does the fact that so many diseases are common to cats make them seem even more human like? Do you think any diseases can be passed back and forth between humans and cats? Do you take any special precautions to make sure your cats never get chin acne?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I am sending WELDRWOMN points twice today, once for KatKwiz and 700 more for using thought (first). BelongsToEvie got to use calcium because WELDRWOMN had already used thought. It's not a myth that glitch keeps winning, and marianjela is as healthy as ever. Not used was found.

Before TCS, did you know that cats got acne? How about YOU, have you ever suffered from acne? Does the fact that so many diseases are common to cats make them seem even more human like? Do you think any diseases can be passed back and forth between humans and cats? Do you take any special precautions to make sure your cats never get chin acne?
I had no idea cats could get acne before I came to The Cat Site. Yes, I do get acne once and awhile. It's always on the sides of my face up by my hair line. I'm not sure if there are any diseases that can be passed between a cat and a human. I know cats can get colds and flu type illnesess but I don't know if they can get them from us people. Hmm, people can get rabies from a cat if bitten by one with the virus. I think it's interesting that cats can get like AIDs and lukimeia but it's different from what we get. Keeping a cat indoors, I think, is the best way to guard against diseases. I have never taken precautions to make sure Popsie doesn't get acne. Never even thought about it truthfully.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Acne, huh? I had never heard of cats having that problem before. I have learned alot about skin problems from TCS that I never would have known about otherwise. I don't think any of the cats my family has owned have had any skin irritations like dermatitis, allergies or acne. I'm thankful for that!

It is interesting to me that cats can acquire so many diseases, especially ones that can also plague us humans. I don't know that it makes me think of them as being more human, though. I naturally impute alot of emotion to my cats, maybe more than they actually have...which is probably why I worry about them so much more than most people in my family.

I don't know any illnesses off the top of my head that can be communicated between animals and people, unless you count parasites, too. I guess I haven't studied this alot, although I probably should.

Since I had no idea that cats could have acne, no, I have never done anything specific to prevent that. I do not use plastic food bowl for them, though, so I guess I was unknowingly using one preventative measure right there. And I have been using the same dish detergent for 4 years with no desire to change it in the forseeable future, so that should help, too!

ETA--I forgot to answer the question about human acne...I have had acne before, but never severly. I somehow have a very clear complexion naturally, although I have no idea why. It could be partly because I don't like to wear makeup. I still use face wash and toner, though, just to keep my skin healthy and clean.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

No, feline acne was something I learned about on TCS. Yes, I have had acne since I was about 13 - you'd think it would go away at some point, but I'm still struggling with it at 28! Yes, I believe there are several zoonotic diseases that are passed between cats and humans. I can think of rabies and toxoplasmosis off the top of my head, and of course parasites like worms. For prevention of chin acne in my kitties, I use stainless steel bowls and ceramic dishes, and wash them regularly.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before TCS, did you know that cats got acne?

No, all of the research that I had done on the subject has been on TCS.

How about YOU, have you ever suffered from acne?

Unfortunately, I still have acne, but it is not as bad as it used to be.

Does the fact that so many diseases are common to cats make them seem even more human like?

Yes, sometimes my girls seem like little people, but there are other times when they are complete mysteries to me.

Do you think any diseases can be passed back and forth between humans and cats?

I know that Ringworm can be passed back and forth as well as some other parasites. I am not sure about actual diseases though.

Do you take any special precautions to make sure your cats never get chin acne?

I am not very good at washing their bowls out, but I do have stainless steel bowls for the girls to eat out of. I also make sure that they have plenty of fresh, clean water.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm tied for second!!!
Thanks once again for the points Lee! Even if Glitch won too
Just kidding of course. This comp is SO fun, I love it! I didnt think I was going to make it to yesterday's Kwery in time today, so I was surprised to still have a shot at it!

I was shocked to find out that cats could get acne. Who would think it under all that fur? And I was surprised to learn they get it from their food! It kind of gives a little credence to the chocolate theory causing pimples when you eat it. I personally have never suffered from acne, but growing up, my best friend did. She would try a lot of things just to get rid of it. My husband had problems with blemishes growing up also and now has the scars to prove it. One of my daughter's friends has acne and her doctor put her on an antibiotic and hormone pills which cleared it right up. The advances in medicine are great!

I dont think the fact that cats (or dogs) get some of the same diseases or ailments as us makes them seem any more human like, I mean we test our medicines and such on monkeys, rats and other animals becuase they can react in similar fashion to us, so it doesnt surprise me that we are all alike in some ways.

In yesterday's KatKwery I talked about how my dog has arthritis. The vet gave him a steriod shot. When I got home and read the receipt from the vet I seen that the steroid is the same exact thing my son takes in pill form. It is interesting how some medicines that we take as humans, animals take also, but then there are others that animals cant take without it having toxic effects. Kind of makes you wonder...

I know a lot of sicknesses or disorders are particular to specific species. Feline leukemia for example is only susceptible to cats, even though humans also get leukemia, they are two different things. Not related at all.

Fleas live on animals, lice live on people. People get colds and cats get colds, but not the same colds; they can not transfer them back and forth to one another. Cold viruses are species-specific. Just as feline immunodeficiency virus, or FIV, (commonly referred to as feline AIDS) is caused by the same family of viruses that triggers AIDS in humans and has a lot of the same devastating impacts, also the disease is transmitted from cat to cat by blood and saliva but the disease can NOT be transmitted to humans.

Ok, so while most infectious diseases are species specific, there are a few that can be caught from one another - called Zoonotic Disease (is that the secret word?
) Toxoplasmosis is one of the most heard of infections caused by cats, especially during pregnancy, transferred through the feces or litter box changes. Ringworm is a fungal infection that is highly contagious. Cat-scratch disease and Salmonellosis are two bacterial infections. Notice none of those infections are viral, because most viral infections are specific, however an exception to this is rabies which is a viral infection transfered by bite of course. We all know that rabies can is transfered freely between animals in wildlife, specifically bats and raccoons. West Nile Virus is another commonly known virus known to infect multiple species from the bite of a mosquito. Can you tell I minored in biology in college?

I never heard of chin acne before, so I've never taken any precautions against it. But I have to admit, that I unknowingly have taken some of the steps to prevent it, like washing the dishes regularly and using metal (stainless steel) dishes in lieu of plastic. I just might have to read more up on it now

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

first off - it doesn't make a huge difference... but i used the word calcium before BelongsToEvie did.

i don't know if i knew cats got acne before TCS or not. i never did, altho i did get occasional pimples as a teen. i think cats are 'humanlike' enough w/o the similar disease component, myself! yes - Firefox gave me a bacterial skin infection last summer! of course, there's also ringworm, fleas, lice, ticks - lots of things! the only precaution i take is to use ceramic for their food dishes.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow Im amazed that was a secret word!! How cool is that! Thanks for the points, I appreciate them! Im getting later in later in posting on the katkwiz and katkwery, due to a new job (which is actually an old job I went back to... Claires!)

I did know full well that cats got acne! I had a pure white cat with one blue eye and one green eye that got acne on his chin because we switched food bowls! I ended up having to pop some of it to get it to go away as per vets orders, and then one that I didn't pop turned into an abcess! It was awful!! Cats are people too in my book! The fact that they get so many illnesses and sickness, diseases and cancer makes them seem more human like though, they get everything that we humans do and even a couple other diseases as well! I have no faith that I will be winning katkwery tomarrow because Im so tired tonight but Ill try to answer all the questions! There are some things that can be passed back and fourth between cats and humans through contact, such as ringworm! Its very contagious! I actually wash the food bowls and steralize them and I never use plastic bowls because they give my kitties a break out faster! So I send them through the dishwasher on sanitise and it works every time! I havn't had a cat with acne since I was a kid so I think I got it all figured out on how to avoid cat ance! I also try to keep everything really clean so I dont have to worry about such issues!! Acne on cats can become infected and cause painfull iritation which I refuse to put my cats through! I think that cat acne can in most cases be avoided but know there are cases where it can't be! I hope thats enough information to get me some points for tomarrow, but we'll wait and see! Oh I also change food bowls daily to make sure that the other ones get cleaned properly but that babies still have food at the same time!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
glitch, i just have to ask - does your computer have any punctuation marks other than the exclamation point?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

first off - it doesn't make a huge difference... but i used the word calcium before BelongsToEvie did.
Actually it does make a huge difference and the standings have been updated accordingly. Sorry, BelongsToEvie*. It could very well make the difference between more than 131,000 points. I have an IE6 Edit function that does a Find on the secret words but it appears that it is not perfect, nor am I.

Always speak up, you have lots of time and effort invested and sometimes Persi, who does the final edit of my stuff, starts drinking early in the morning.

*I learned yesterday that one or two of our top players may be forced to abandon the KatKwery, possibly due to school starting or other personal matters. So, considering when you started, you are still in very good shape.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well my goodness! I just kind of skim everyone else's posts, I'm sorry I didn't notice or I would have mentioned something!

Ah well, it's about time I lightened my bank a bit, anyway.

Congrats Laureen!

And hey, early drinker or not, Persi normally does a very good job!