TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Job vibes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Job vibes

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I have a job interview tomorrow at Koles at 10 AM and need good luck vibes. I also need advice on what to wear. I was thinking a Green and black striped collared shirt with black shorts(more dressy than jeans) and a pair of white tennis shoes(only pair I have). The only thing is that doesn't really match very well. They sound very interested over the phone but I am one of like 30 applicants so it will still be a long shot but I am going to give it my all.

I am so excited, this is my first interview since June and I didn't get that job. I think this time I am going to remember to zip up my fly(forgot that last time and I think it cost me the job).
post #2 of 20
Good luck!
post #3 of 20
I wouldn't wear shorts, no matter how 'dressy'. Do you have a black skirt or dark jeans? ETA: The dress code is usually business casual, try to shoot for that. Jeans don't really qualify but shorts don't either... Black shoes?

Just be friendly and outgoing and SMILE!
post #4 of 20
Good luck!!!

TCS got me the wonderful job I have now!!!
post #5 of 20
i second the 'no shorts' comment... they won't allow them for working IN, so dont' wear them to the interview.

If you absolutely cannot go get anything like a pair of slacks or dark jeans (not to mention dark/black shoes) before the interview, at least wash the jeans you have, and wear a clean and pressed dress shirt and tie with them. As for the shoes... so you don't have even penny loafers? Dude... invest in a nice pair of shoes... even if, temporarily, you're buying them from Payless Shoe Source... Geez... Don't do white sneakers...

Tie, dress shirt, slacks/Dockers (if you can, if not, wash the jeans), and nicer shoes than sneakers.

All that said... good luck!! Retail can be fun... but sometimes customers can be aggravating... always defer to a manager (that's what I do... except when I was a manager). Relax... everything will go fine... just no sneakers.
post #6 of 20
for you my friend!... I hope all goes all right!...
post #7 of 20
I would always go for the business look. A nice collared shirt and black dress pants. Regardless if you applying to be a lawyer or be working painting (using clean to not so clean job) it always looks better if you look professional, it shows you are very serious about presenting yourself.

Good Luck!
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrapro18 View Post
I have a job interview tomorrow at Koles at 10 AM and need good luck vibes. I also need advice on what to wear. I was thinking a Green and black striped collared shirt with black shorts(more dressy than jeans) and a pair of white tennis shoes(only pair I have). The only thing is that doesn't really match very well. They sound very interested over the phone but I am one of like 30 applicants so it will still be a long shot but I am going to give it my all.
GOOD LUCK!!!!! If you mean the department store, make sure you know that it is spelled Kohls.
I agree with the others - no way wear shorts. Even black jeans would be better than shorts. Docker's or other casual pants and the shirt you said with dark shoes would be good. You need to invest in one outfit you can wear to interviews. You don't have to spend much. Go to Walmart or Target. Even And remember, you can write off all job search costs on your taxes including mileage, clothes and resume expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algebrapro18 View Post
I think this time I am going to remember to zip up my fly(forgot that last time and I think it cost me the job).
I would think so! First impressions are everything. A hiring manager would be thinking "If they forget to zip their fly, what else will they forget to do?"
It's like that tv commercial where the guy interviewing has a stain on his shirt...
http://www.adgabber.com/video/video/...AVideo%3A75733
That cracks me up!
post #9 of 20
Good luck vibes from me and my kitties. Let us know how it goes.
post #10 of 20
I second the no shorts!! What are you going to have to wear to work if you get the job??
I would go to Kohls to see what the employees wear.

For the interview don't go too casual a nice clean iron pair of khaki pants and shoes (no athletic shoes either) with a nice button down shirt in a solid color like white or blue and a tie would be a good touch. Wear a belt too!! No jewelry either. In retail appearances can mean alot.

Good luck with the interview and let us know tonite what the interview outfit will be!
post #11 of 20
I have some advice about Kohl's, and it is very closely second hand. My husband worked at Kohl's for a long time, first as a regular employee and then as middle management. To get a job at Kohl's, you MUST dress well. I cannot stress this enough. Even the regular, standard employees on the floor at Kohl's must wear slacks and polo shirts, button down shirts, or sweaters (that is for men, women can wear other types of dressy shirts and skirts). You will not get a job at Kohl's if you wear shorts and tennis shoes, even if the shorts look nice. Employees at Kohl's are not allowed to wear shorts.

You need to wear slacks, either khaki or black would be fine. You can get these for about $10-12 at Walmart. The shirt you described sounds fine though, because you can wear a nice polo and do well at an interview. You will also need a nice pair of shoes, because you can't wear tennis shoes to work at Kohl's. Again, even if you just go to Walmart or PayLess Shoes and buy the cheapest nice looking pair you can find, you can always buy another nicer pair later.

Always smile and act confident, like you have done this before and would be a great benefit to the company. Be friendly and outgoing if you are interviewing for a cashier or floor position especially. Retail involves a lot of fake smiling and friendly small-talking.


GOOD LUCK!
post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky View Post
I have some advice about Kohl's, and it is very closely second hand. My husband worked at Kohl's for a long time, first as a regular employee and then as middle management. To get a job at Kohl's, you MUST dress well. I cannot stress this enough. Even the regular, standard employees on the floor at Kohl's must wear slacks and polo shirts, button down shirts, or sweaters (that is for men, women can wear other types of dressy shirts and skirts). You will not get a job at Kohl's if you wear shorts and tennis shoes, even if the shorts look nice. Employees at Kohl's are not allowed to wear shorts.

You need to wear slacks, either khaki or black would be fine. You can get these for about $10-12 at Walmart. The shirt you described sounds fine though, because you can wear a nice polo and do well at an interview. You will also need a nice pair of shoes, because you can't wear tennis shoes to work at Kohl's. Again, even if you just go to Walmart or PayLess Shoes and buy the cheapest nice looking pair you can find, you can always buy another nicer pair later.

Always smile and act confident, like you have done this before and would be a great benefit to the company. Be friendly and outgoing if you are interviewing for a cashier or floor position especially. Retail involves a lot of fake smiling and friendly small-talking.


GOOD LUCK!
Thank you very much for the advice but unfortunatly I can't find my long kacky pants. I had them here not that long ago and there missing now. And Wal-Mart doesn't carry my size in pants, shirts, or shoes so thats not an option. I have a white button down shirt and a tie(though the tie is missing in action at the moment and wouldn't match the rest of the outfit) or the green collard shirt I mentioned before its just a bit big on me(makes me look fat). I have a pair of black jeans(long) that look dressy for jeans but that the best I can do. Oh wait I have a pair of Kaky shorts...but there shorts...and you said no shorts...well if I can't find my kacky long pants(havent checked my room yet) should I go with my Jeans, or the black or the kacky shorts?

Thanks everyone else for the vibes they are greatly appreciated. I have a pair of black tennis shoes that I never wear and I might have a pair of black dress shoes(again can't find them might be in my room).
post #13 of 20
I would not wear shorts!! Its just unprofessional. If you cannot find the khaki pants I would wear the jeans but make sure they are pressed. And make sure your shirt is tucked in.
I remember you said you are a big guy-is there a fleet farm nearby I think they carry larger sizes.

Good luck.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
I just got back from the interview and I think it went really well. It was a group interview so I didn't have any one on one time with the hiring staff so I couldn't really read there reactions to me but I think I will be getting a call back. I will hear back by Monday at the latest but probably on Friday.
post #15 of 20
Well hoping you here from them later this week!
post #16 of 20
Good luck vibes for a call back
post #17 of 20
for a call back! I know you really need this job!
post #18 of 20
Interesting the differences from one part of the country to another. At the Kohl's near me, some of the employees wear T-shirts to work! Solid colors or artsy all-over prints only, but still... amazing.

No shorts, though!
post #19 of 20
if you do get a call-back, you need to have the appropriate thing to wear.
maybe check at a Goodwill or Salvation Army? you can find good stuff there for really cheap, especially in larger urban areas.
otherwise - go to Wal-mart for dark pants, socks & loafers or dress shoes. doesn't matter if the shoes are plastic - they just need to be non-athletic in nature. & socks should be dark, like the shoes & pants.
if you get khaki slacks, match the socks to your shoes.
post #20 of 20
Sending many "get the job" vibes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Job vibes