Bed time

jazzylane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitten yesterday and thought that it would be best to put him in a crate for the night. Well I could hear him meowing so I let him sleep with me. That was a huge mistake. All he wanted to do was play. I want him to be able to sleep with me, but I also want him to actually sleep. Any ideas?

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have all 8 of my kittens sleeping in the bed with me LOL. They just do it. I love them there, and if they are playing I put them on the floor. They come back on the bed when they're done. Just if you want the kitten to sleep with you, keep some silent toys on the floor for it to play with and it will come up when ready

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its his first day, give him time, he will learn the routine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzylane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

I have all 8 of my kittens sleeping in the bed with me LOL. They just do it. I love them there, and if they are playing I put them on the floor. They come back on the bed when they're done. Just if you want the kitten to sleep with you, keep some silent toys on the floor for it to play with and it will come up when ready
Well my bed is really high off the ground so he can't jump back up.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As the other poster said he might just need some time to adjust to your schedule. A lot of people (myself included) canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t let their new cat/kitten sleep with them for the first month or so due to introductions with other cats, but they learn to come sleep with you once they have access so I think your kitten would be ok if you wanted to confine him for awhile to let him get used to things.

About the bed, mine was too high for my kitten to jump up on when I first got him so I put some boxes of ascending heights at the foot of the bed and he climbed them to come up until he was big enough to jump it.

Good luck!

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jazzylane

Any ideas?
Trade in your rambunctious kitty for a big 'ol fat lazy cat who likes to sleep all the time?

Kitties are just plain busy. If you want to cuddle with a sleeping kitty, you pretty much have to watch the kitty and cuddle when it is sleepy.

Of course, that may or may not fit at all with a human schedule!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the reality of having a kitten. They want to play all the time. If you want to sleep peacefully, keep the kitten in a different room. You should not 'crate' a kitten like you would a puppy, unless they have access to water, food, and a litter box the whole night. She shouldn't be in your bed at night either if she can't get down to get to the litter box. (I remember when Chloe was super little, she was cautious of jumping from high things and she couldn't jump up on our bed either).

Kittens are easier when adopted in pairs (with other kittens the same age) because they can entertain each other.

Every night, spend 15-20 minutes playing with your kitten with an interactive toy like Da Bird or string or something for her to chase around. You can find Da Bird at most any pet store, but here is a link so you know what I'm talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Interacti.../dp/B000679IE6

Not every cat is a cuddly lap cat either. If you wanted a cat to snuggle with, you should have gotten a lazy adult cat that sleeps all day.
Your cat may grow up to be that way, but for now he is going to be super playful. Kittens sleep a lot during the day too though so maybe snuggle with him when he's asleep already.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bed is Mary's territory and it has been for 3 years. She, Cleo and Seldon laid claim ages ago so my kittens can't sleep with me. I am not sure I would want them to. Only Renzo the runty sleeps with me and he is really sweet and quiet.
Make a bed in the room with you with water and a litterbox. He will start to sleep with you especially as the weather gets chillier. Kittens like to be stimulated all of the time and have loads of energy. There is no need to crate him in my opinion. You want him to bond with you and he will if he access to you.