TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › New kitten food recommendations.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New kitten food recommendations.

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hey, I'm new here.
I am going to pick up my newly adopted kitten (about 4-5 months old) tonight after work and I'm wondering if there are any good commercially available cat foods (Petsmart or PetCo)? I've had cats all my life and we always fed them Science Diet, but after reading some things I've read lots of bad stuff about it?

The place he's currently at feeds Royal Canin, should I keep him on this, switch him to Science Diet, or what?

Thanks!
post #2 of 24
Thread Starter 
I may have just answered my own question...

These brands are available locally, any thoughts?
http://www.naturapet.com/search/?animal=cat
post #3 of 24
I don't like S. Diet. We feed Royal Canin. I'd stick with that for the time being. Also you might consider a dry and canned diet for best results.
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I don't like S. Diet. We feed Royal Canin. I'd stick with that for the time being. Also you might consider a dry and canned diet for best results.
I do plan on feeding both. Is EVO good stuff? I think I'm going to pick some up tomorrow and feed Royal Canin until I can decide what's best.
post #5 of 24
EVO is good ... only drawback is about 50% of cats cant handle the richness

I prefer RC to SD ....

evo is the highest "premium" in the three IMHO
post #6 of 24
The only thing I'd suggest is make sure you get some of whatever your kitten is currently eating, and slowly change her over to any new foods, as you are planning. Better to give her something she's used to while she's getting used to her new home. And a lot of people like Royal Canin.

Mine came from Petsmart and ate Authority - I slowly changed them over to Nutro, and so far so good. I do wet and dry.
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlili View Post
The only thing I'd suggest is make sure you get some of whatever your kitten is currently eating, and slowly change her over to any new foods, as you are planning. Better to give her something she's used to while she's getting used to her new home. And a lot of people like Royal Canin.

Mine came from Petsmart and ate Authority - I slowly changed them over to Nutro, and so far so good. I do wet and dry.

He's currently eating Royal Canin. I think I'm going to look into EVO more and then start turning him over to a mix of moist and dry of EVO and Royal Canin before phasing out the Royal Canin totally.

Going to pick him up tonight, hopefully he adjusts well and isn't scared for days on end... he should be ok because it's just me in the apartment and it's a very quite place.
post #8 of 24
I am of the opinion that dry food isn't good in general and cats are better off on a canned diet with the canne foo having a muscle meat listed 1st and no grains if you can afford it
Best of Luck
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by optionken View Post
I am of the opinion that dry food isn't good in general and cats are better off on a canned diet with the canne foo having a muscle meat listed 1st and no grains if you can afford it
Best of Luck
wet food would be a good addition ... have you thought about it >>??
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
wet food would be a good addition ... have you thought about it >>??

That's the plan, yes, I hope to be able to find the Evo locally... it's listed at several places so I hope I can get it.

It's RC until I find a place that retails the Evo...


Also, got him home last night, what a little rocket! I thought he'd take a couple days to get brave and explore the whole place. He was all over everything right away.
post #11 of 24
Oh, how wonderful! And what a lucky little guy to find you.
post #12 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlili View Post
Oh, how wonderful! And what a lucky little guy to find you.
Here he is:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174597
post #13 of 24
He's cute - looks like a brown tabby/white. Handsome marked
post #14 of 24
He is so cute! And I think he'll be very handsome as he grows up.
post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 
What do you mean half the cats can't handle the richness? As in they'll have digestive problems or just won't eat it?

I found a local hardware store that stocks Evo so I'll go get some tonight and see what he thinks of it.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRay View Post
What do you mean half the cats can't handle the richness? As in they'll have digestive problems or just won't eat it?

I found a local hardware store that stocks Evo so I'll go get some tonight and see what he thinks of it.
Many times the number #1 complaint on EVO is loose stools ... I have only heard of a handful not liking the taste ... WOW the hardware store must be a good one
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Many times the number #1 complaint on EVO is loose stools ... I have only heard of a handful not liking the taste ... WOW the hardware store must be a good one
I'll see what happens. He likes it for sure, every interested when I got home with it... put a few pieces in with his RC. He #2ed as soon as I got home from work, he slept under the bed all day!
post #18 of 24
I just had this discussion with my vet concerning my two new kitties.

The big concern with dry diets is that they increase the risk of urinary blockage problems in male cats. Therefore, my vet recommends a wet food diet two meals a day (more often for kitties) supplemented by dry grazing.

Until they reach one year of age, any decent kitty dry food is OK. Once they are large enough (about a year), the dry grazing should be switched to a large kernal tartar or dental feed -- the big chunks force them to bite into the pieces and clean their teeth. This is only available at vets or pet stores.

For wet, he said that any decent name brand canned food is fine including the name brand lines at the supermarket -- Friskies, 9-Lives, etc.
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwc View Post
I just had this discussion with my vet concerning my two new kitties.

The big concern with dry diets is that they increase the risk of urinary blockage problems in male cats. Therefore, my vet recommends a wet food diet two meals a day (more often for kitties) supplemented by dry grazing.

Until they reach one year of age, any decent kitty dry food is OK. Once they are large enough (about a year), the dry grazing should be switched to a large kernal tartar or dental feed -- the big chunks force them to bite into the pieces and clean their teeth. This is only available at vets or pet stores.

For wet, he said that any decent name brand canned food is fine including the name brand lines at the supermarket -- Friskies, 9-Lives, etc.
JUST a noteThere are VERY FEW dental diets that are proven and of the proven ones very few have good ingredients IMHO... Vets often say anything with a name brand is okay to feed ... I would suggest researching and then talking with your vet as most vets took only one seminar or semester of feline nutrition and that was put on by a PF company.
post #20 of 24
Actually, the advice my vet gave was based primarily on recent research showing a connection between dry diets and urinary blockage.

The dental dry food my vet was recommending was not so much for nutrition as a grazing snack that:

a) is good for teeth cleaning
b) doesn't do much harm

He said that none of the grocery store brands fill that bill.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwc View Post
Actually, the advice my vet gave was based primarily on recent research showing a connection between dry diets and urinary blockage.

The dental dry food my vet was recommending was not so much for nutrition as a grazing snack that:

a) is good for teeth cleaning
b) doesn't do much harm

He said that none of the grocery store brands fill that bill.
Cats do not Chew thus dental dry is mostly a gimic... only a handful of RX and OTC pet store brands have been Proven ... If you want some serious reading material with data I will happily send you to some links ... No I agree with b dry food is not likely to harm a cat as if it did cats would have shorter lifespans NOT the nearly 13 yr ave of today but closer to the 3 to 5 yrs of a wild cat
post #22 of 24
I've read a couple of articles that recommend feeding only wet food to cats. As they don't chew dry food it doesn't clean the teeth but will stick to the teeth. Where as wet food doesn't stick & keeps their teeth clean. I personally think a raw natural diet is best but unless they have it from a young age it can be hard to get them to eat it.
post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
Last night I picked up a small bag of Evo and a couple cans of Innova canned food.

He ate about 1/8th of the can between last night and this morning and licked up the rest of it in the AM. How does feeding him about 1/8th of a can in the AM and the same amount in the evening sound? He'll also have his current mix of Royal Canin and Evo dry food as I switch him over to Evo... hopefully he doesn't get the runs!
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Cats do not Chew thus dental dry is mostly a gimic... only a handful of RX and OTC pet store brands have been Proven ... If you want some serious reading material with data I will happily send you to some links ... No I agree with b dry food is not likely to harm a cat as if it did cats would have shorter lifespans NOT the nearly 13 yr ave of today but closer to the 3 to 5 yrs of a wild cat
I would very much appreciate any links you send. Thanks.

My vet said that there were only a couple of brands of dry that had chunks large enough to force a cat to bite into them (none of the store brands). Of course, he sold one of the brands, and he gave me the name of another. I wasn't taking notes because none of them are suitable for kitties under one year of age.

BTW, I've had cats clearly bite into dry food morsels.

His number one recommendation was to stick to a wet food diet, primarily because of the risk of urinary blockage with my male whom he believes was neutered too early.

For the nearly fifty years I've had cats, we've always fed wet morning and night (sometimes more) with dry food available for grazing. I'm open to suggestions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › New kitten food recommendations.