Another Medical Question

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does it mean when your fingernails get so weak and brittle that they chip and peel away at the tips? Mine are separating like geologic layers!

I never had a problem with this until a few months ago... which would make me suspect that it might have to do with the weight loss, except that I'm actually getting better overall nutrition now than I did before (a lot more protein, certainly).

Anybody else have this problem? What could be causing it?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem and keep meaning to look it up.

My finger nails are like razors! They are thin but they keep peeling. And a couple have a line down the centre from the base of the nail up to the tip.

I think it's a vitamin deficiency, likely Vitamin B12.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have had an extreme change of diet? Significant weight loss?
A change in diet, even if healthier, as well as weight loss can definitely cause this. There are supplements you can take to improve the strength of both. Of course it takes time and the best thing to do is to avoid picking, biting, and file any rough edges, condition with moisturizers at night.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or other more mundane reasons - washing dishes bare handed, digging in soil, crafting, etc.

Mine are currently tearing and splitting a lot. The cause... peeling stickers off of stuff.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had brittle nails as well. Always kept as a more natural manicure, nail tips but short. Wearing gloves is essential with such activities as dishes, gardening, any construction or repair work. If you protect them till they lengthen a bit, they will get stronger. The trick after that is to keep them at a short manicure to avoid splitting, cracking, nail trauma.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nails have been thin as paper, and brittle as glass, my whole life. I've tried all of the tricks...protein, gelatin, vitamins...you name it. I think it's just the way I am. Doing numerous surgical scrubs every day for the last 26 years probably hasn't helped my weak nails. My mother's nails peel in layers, like you're describing...however, for her, it's something that has come with aging. My father has nails that he can use to turn a screw (instead of a screwdriver.....naturally, I didn't inherit that trait, lol!)

I'd suggest getting a professional manicure, and watch the way they file your nails. From what I've gathered, the filing helps with the peeling. Using a good polish/sealer on them is supposed to help, but only seems to make mine more brittle (if that's even possible!)

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That nail site is seriously scary
Don't read it while eating breakfast (like I did
)

I would guess the problem is a combo of dryness (water exposure?) and the change in your diet. I have always had this problem (another characteristic I didn't inherit from my mother is her nails of steel
)

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has nails of steel also. I don't wear gloves when I do most of my gardening and they tend to split alot.

However it seems that when I wear gloves to do the dishes and moisturize my hands more paying attention to the nails and cuticles the appearance and strength improves quite a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! You guys are so smart -- thank you for your input. I'm afraid age and water may have a lot to do with this, but according to that website, it looks like Vitamin E and Jojoba oil might help. I sure hope so -- I use the nails on my right hand as picks when I play guitar, and I haven't been able to play lately because they're flaking away like this. I've tried playing with fingerpicks, but I don't like the way it sounds... so I sure hope this works! Thank you!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My nails are weak to begin with too. I made the mistake of allowing a manicurist to buff them. (I usually do my own nails, but had a gift certificate.) Please don't make that mistake! She buffed off the a layer of the ridges in my nails, causing the peeling to get worse!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When acute (compared to others who are describing "always" having weak nails) this is pretty much always a sign of some type of malnutrition. Iron, Zinc, and vitamin C are the most likely culprits. I would visit your doctor, and have him screen for nutrient deficiencies. Serious illnesses can also manifest in this way, respiratory conditions (emphysema etc), diabetes, and renal disease can show nail symptoms before any major effects/organ failures, so better safe than sorry (again, I am referring to your situation being "acute", as in you always had good nails until "x") Simple bloodtests can screen for nutrient deficiencies, and then you can easily correct the problem (eg by eating more citrus, legumes, beans depending on the nutrient fault). Diets high in calcium and protein arent enough to create beautiful healthy nails.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

What does it mean when your fingernails get so weak and brittle that they chip and peel away at the tips? Mine are separating like geologic layers!

I never had a problem with this until a few months ago... which would make me suspect that it might have to do with the weight loss, except that I'm actually getting better overall nutrition now than I did before (a lot more protein, certainly).

Anybody else have this problem? What could be causing it?
ummm.... Carol? are you drinking your protein & taking your supplements?
while i realize you don't have the malabsorption issues i do, you're still severely restricted in intake.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I made the mistake of allowing a manicurist to buff them.
I did once too, many years ago -- and you're so right! Those little ridges are there for a reason!

Originally Posted by Februa

...Serious illnesses can also manifest in this way, respiratory conditions (emphysema etc), diabetes, and renal disease...
Yup, I do have diabetes. I had some bloodwork done just a few weeks ago, but I don't know how extensive it was -- probably ought to find out! (They told me I was fine except for cholesterol issues and glucose.)

Originally Posted by laureen227

ummm.... Carol? are you drinking your protein & taking your supplements?
while i realize you don't have the malabsorption issues i do, you're still severely restricted in intake.
Wellll... not drinking my protein, no. Can't abide the shakes. But I'm eating my Clif Mojo bars, one or two a day, and those are about 10 grams of protein each. I'm not getting up to my target of 65 per day, but I'm getting a lot more protein than I did before! And I do take my vitamins, yes ma'am.

Originally Posted by mews2much

I had taht happen from Anemia. I take High dose Iron now and they are fine.
Glad you found a solution! I've had a little anemia in the past... maybe I'll doublecheck what that result was.

Thanks, everybody!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Wellll... not drinking my protein, no. Can't abide the shakes. But I'm eating my Clif Mojo bars, one or two a day, and those are about 10 grams of protein each. I'm not getting up to my target of 65 per day, but I'm getting a lot more protein than I did before! And I do take my vitamins, yes ma'am.
2 suggestions, shake-wise - try ordering samples from here [$2 each] get several different kinds, 'cause they all taste different. vitalady
2nd - i would be glad to bring you samples of the ones i have on hand [these are the ones i like!] to the DFW meetup. this is what i have in stock
syntrax nectar's strawberry-kiwi, natural peach & roadside lemonade; champion whey stack's chocolate, banana & cookies & cream; some kind of apple [like jolly rancher apple candy type taste] & what i think is Elite's vanilla [not bad, considering it's vanilla!].

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're so sweet to offer! I do remember you suggested Vitalady... let me go see what their ingredients are. One of my problems is that it's so hard to find protein supplements that don't contain animal products.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

You're so sweet to offer! I do remember you suggested Vitalady... let me go see what their ingredients are. One of my problems is that it's so hard to find protein supplements that don't contain animal products.
i have a similar problem finding ones w/o iodine!
are milk by-products ok? that's what whey is...

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had your Thyroid checked recently? Is your skin also dry?

Also you may need more calcium and healthy essential fatty acids. Biotin helps with nails too.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laureen, sure, milk products are fine! But glycerine and gelatin and such... can't do it.

CC, you're right about calcium, I'll bet -- I used to take it, but ran out and forgot all about it! You may have hit on the problem!