Lazy litter box cat & peeing on the carpet

shw104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

We have two indoor, short hair cats. Both female.. both were strays that we adopted when they were kittens. They are 6 and 5 years old respectively.

One of the cats has always been a lazy litter box user.. that is, she rarely, if ever covers her "stuff" in the litter box.

Over the last few years, she had started occasionally making her deposit outside (in front or behind) the litter box on a piece of carpet. I have no idea why she does this, it is only the one cat (younger one). Recently, she has started peeing on the carpet in our basement in the corners.. not every time but sometimes... once is more than enough...

I'm running out of ideas to explain this behavior... observations.. hopefully some or all will be of help..

1. We have two litter boxes.. i do not believe it is a territorial.. either cat uses either box with or without the other around.

2. I don't believe it is the type of litter.. have tried differing types and no change..

3. I don't believe it is too dirty for the cat... clean or not clean.. same behavior..

4. Litter box is downstairs.. thought maybe it was the dark.. so installed a small light.. no change..

5. One litter box is the open type (no lid) one is has a lid.. no change.. either cat uses either.

6. Both cats are healthy and no personality issues that we are aware of... recent vet checks and clean bills of health

7. Both cats get along well..

8. both cats spend a lot of time downstairs.... but come up more often when we are home..

9. cats never, if ever, fight

10. both cats are fixed

11. i routinely wash the carpet by the litter box (sanitary cycle) so I don't believe it is a smell issue

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Scott

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
assuming you've used an enzyme cleaner on the carpet [regular cleaners won't work - cats can still smell it!] then i'd suggest trying either the CatAttract litter or additive. it's sold online but my local Petsmart also carries it. it's really helped w/my 'problem pooper'!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried all natural litter? Worlds Best Cat Litter is made from 100% corn and even smells a bit like vanilla!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shw104

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
>>Have you tried all natural litter? Worlds Best Cat Litter is made from 100% corn and even smells a bit like vanilla!

YES.. already use it.. it is great..

Haven't had her urine tested..... something I should suggest to our vet?

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For the carpet I use Nature's Miracle with great success. For urine make sure you pour generously so that the NM's soaks all the to the under padding to completely eliminate the odor.

Have you recently changed what you wash the box with? It's best to use plain dish soap and hot water. Harsh bleach and other types of disinfecting chemicals may seem like a good idea to us, but despite heavy rinsing, traces of the chemical's smell will remain and tend to repulse the cat.

Getting her urine checked by the vet is a good idea!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, please do test her urine. I've got a kitty who every time she gets a UTI, poops outside the box.

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yea my kitten has pooped outside her litter box two times and i was wondering why she did that even though her litter was clean. how can i tell if my kitten has uti ?

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

To get an experts answer your best bet would be a trip to your local vet
going to go see him tomorrow hope momo is okay !

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If it is a UTI don't worry, it's easily solved with antibiotics
Lots of healthy coming for Momo, but let us know what they said?.
will do

saraanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If it is a UTI don't worry, it's easily solved with antibiotics
Lots of healthy coming for Momo, but let us know what they said?.
went to the vet today.. he said that it could be the litter we should try changing that and see how she reacts . as far as the uti question he said cats usually stop eating and start being lazy which momo is not
shes as hyper and hungry as before !