Does anyone else get frantic before travel?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby really drives me up the wall sometimes. We are taking a trip to Oregon to see my family. We will only be gone for a week and we will be staying with my parents so we will have laundry facilities and whatever else we might need.

He wanted to start packing a month ahead of our departure. For a 7 day trip, he has to have almost 7 sets of clothes (plus backups). He gets frantic about all the stuff we have to do the night before because in addition to dropping off the cats at the kennel, he wants to mop the floors, vacuum the house, unpack and repack several times, and the list goes on.

It is just a weeklong trip. If left to my own devices, I wouldn't even think about packing until a night or two before departure. I am so relaxed about travel that it drives hubby up the wall, yet he is so frantic about it, that it makes me mad.

Anyone else like this?

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has he ever had a problem with traveling before? Has he ever traveled? Might just be nervous!

I'm nervous myself because in less than a month, I'm moving to Prague and I want to make sure I have enough clothes and personal effects with me to last until my ocean voyage shipment arrives with my other stuff, which takes 2 weeks.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

Anyone else like this?
My mother is like that... whenever I'd go on my infamous solo road trips while i still lived with them, she'd try getting my bags out and start packing things away, asking me questions about when I'm going, what I'll be doing (overly cautious mother stuff, to the Nth degree).

While I'd do all my packing (well, stuffing is more like it) the night before and morning of. I think about other things leading up to it (who'll watch the cats, make sure things are paid, etc), I don't worry about packing until the night before. My upcoming road trip to visit family and friends in a few weeks will involve having a new catsitter... so some things do need to get cleaned up beforehand, but i have a little extra time now each week to do it... she's still a coworker, but this place is a mess.

Amanda

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH lets me do the packing for the trips. He just lets me know what clothes he wants. If it were up to him, he'd pack the suitcase a few hrs before leaving and forget 1/2 the stuff

I used to start packing a week ahead, but now I just pack 2-3 days ahead so that I know everything will be washed first and we won't forget anything

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

DH lets me do the packing for the trips. He just lets me know what clothes he wants. If it were up to him, he'd pack the suitcase a few hrs before leaving and forget 1/2 the stuff
That is me to a tee! I will set clothes aside, but the actual packing gets done the day we're leaving (drives my husband insane!) I figure, why pack everything when you're going to have to unpack half the things in the morning to get ready...shampoo, toothpaste, razor, etc. So, I don't do anything until that morning!
Of course, DH has learned how I am now, and adds an extra 1/2 hr on to travel time to give me time to do my mad dash packing that morning. And, yes...I now have a collection of toothbrushes from various hotels and 7-11's around the country. Hey, they're souveniers!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get too frantic about it, but I usually write out a list of what I need to pack about 2-3 weeks ahead of time so I have time to add to it if I need to. And I start packing about 2-3 days ahead of time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The morning bathroom stuff gets packed just before we leave - but all the rest (clothes, shoes, etc. are in there.

We have a travel bag and most of the bathroom stuff is in there so it can be packed ahead (we have a double set of toothbrushes/toothpaste, etc.)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't really travelled enough to know if I get frantic or not!

The last time I went anywhere that I needed to pack for was to Detroit in 2003. I went for 5 days. I think I started to pack a few days before. I do remember being confused about what to take. I didn't over pack. I took 3 pants, 3 tops, 5 changes of undies, a nightgown, toiletries, the shoes I was wearing and a pair of other shoes.

I think your DH is just nervous about travelling in general and takes his nervous energy out via packing and repacking and cleaning. I wouldn't let it bother you. It's just his way of dealing with travel.

xlpooper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

My hubby really drives me up the wall sometimes. We are taking a trip to Oregon to see my family. We will only be gone for a week and we will be staying with my parents so we will have laundry facilities and whatever else we might need.

He wanted to start packing a month ahead of our departure. For a 7 day trip, he has to have almost 7 sets of clothes (plus backups). He gets frantic about all the stuff we have to do the night before because in addition to dropping off the cats at the kennel, he wants to mop the floors, vacuum the house, unpack and repack several times, and the list goes on.

It is just a weeklong trip. If left to my own devices, I wouldn't even think about packing until a night or two before departure. I am so relaxed about travel that it drives hubby up the wall, yet he is so frantic about it, that it makes me mad.

Anyone else like this?
Your husband sounds like a perfectionist and a neat freak. That would be hard, but I would let him mop the floors and vacuum for sure and do laundry for good measure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby had some good news yesterday - He is taking a day of vacation the day before we leave on our trip. We made a list of every little detail and now we are going to have plenty of time to get it all done.

It is just weird though...I can't imagine what he would be like for an actual like month long vacation if he is like this for just a week

All the stuff has to be taken care of the night before because we have to be on the road to the airport extremely early in the morning...

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, I'm a frantic traveler. I'm going away next week so I'm running around like a fool.

I also must do major deep cleaning. I dont know why that is - I MUST do it - although the rest of the time I dont care that much about cleaning :lol

I'm doing a trial run on the packing just to be smart. I want to take only one suitcase that is acceptable to bring on the plane as a carryon. Since I have a bazilliion hair products and I'm a woman, I'll need mucho luck with that trick

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yep, I go a bit crazy before I go away.

I'm not leaving for a few more days, but already have most of the clothes set aside and have started to set aside other things as well. I also neaten the house up a bit. I have people coming in to feed Abby, so I want the house to look decent.