LOUD siamese

kozziosko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
We have just been given an 18mth old female Siamese x Himalayan named Mushroom. We took her in as her owners were moving O.S. We only got her yesterday, she was scared at first but is now exploring our unit. She rubs the side of her face over every surface and wants to get into every nook and cranny she can. She was previously very spoilt/smothered and always kept inside. She has not stopped meowing since yesterday. I have had a Siamese before and he was not this bad, and the old owner assures she was not like this either. I'm wondering if she is maybe calling for her old owners? She has not been desexed, but is still about 3mths off heat. I have her booked in on Friday to be desexed but am considering if the meowing doesn't calm down by then, to perhaps give her to someone else that doesn't mind the noise. We live in a unit block and can't really expect everyone else to deal with it. Again we know Siamese talk, but she is just constantly walking around, rubbing her face and meowing. She seems ok with us, but every now and then will freak out and hide. Is she just disoriented and uncomfortable, and will we see a change if we give her a chance to settle in more and what time frame usually would you expect them to settle in?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The rubbing is a territorial activity. She is claiming everything as hers. As to the meowing, she may well just be comforting herself. After all, she has no reason to know why the people she depended on have suddenly disappeared.

And she might be in heat. Last I heard, it can happen every 3 weeks or so, and cats are very poor at marking calendars.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Captain was 3 years old when we got him from a lady that had too many cats. She wanted to find a home for him because he required alot of attention. The lady had him neutered about a month before we got him. He meowed for about 2 weeks. He would scratch the walls and meow . It drove everyone crazy esp. when we try to sleep. Three years later, he still meows but only when he wants something. I'm glad we didn't give up on him because he is the most awesome cat I've ever been around.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Zane isn't a Siamese--he's just an ordinary fat grey tabby--but he goes on these yowlfests for no apparent reason.

I first noticed it after Father died, and I thought that he was missing His Special Person, but it has been a year and a half and he still does it.

Have you tried Feliway? Or perhaps, if that isn't strong enough, you could ask the vet to perscribe some sort of tranquilizer.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please give this poor cat a chance. You have only had her for 2 days. Cats sometimes take months to get settled in to a new location. Her world has been turned upside down with a sudden change in territory and she has no idea yet what you want from her.

Contemplating giving her to someone else after just a week in your care really isn't fair, nor is judging her vocalizations by any previous Siamese cats that you've owned. Cats are individuals and have different personalities. Most Siamese love to talk, and if you can't handle that, or if your housing situation isn't conducive to loud, constant chatter, then perhaps this breed really isn't for you at this time.

She might very well calm down a bit after she is spayed.

And as a side note, it would be particularly cruel to administer medication like a tranquilizer when, again, it sounds like Mushroom's behavior is perfectly normal for her circumstances and her breed. I would be shocked if any reputable vet would agree to prescribe such a thing in a case like this.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

And as a side note, it would be particularly cruel to administer medication like a tranquilizer when, again, it sounds like Mushroom's behavior is perfectly normal for her circumstances and her breed. I would be shocked if any reputable vet would agree to prescribe such a thing in a case like this.
That's why I said to talk to the vet, not demand it. Not being there, we can't really assess how bad things are.

Or, perhaps the owner should be taking the tranquilizers?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure she isnt in Heat. I have a half siamese that could not be fixed and when she is in heat she is so loud. Her Mom was a Seal Point but she is black and white. Gie her a chance you havent had her very long.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat always meows pretty much non stop for a few days after an event that makes her upset (like me going away on holiday and leaving her in a cattery while I'm away).

I'd give her a bit longer to settle in. Wait until she's been spayed and give it another two three weeks and see if she calms down.

Cats can go into heat once a month so she might very well be in heat, which if true explains the constant meowing completely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kozziosko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. We really don't want to give up on her either. So last night we went to bed, she meowed for a little but then as we ignored her she stopped and slept on top of the fridge all night. Then as soon as I got up to make coffee, there she is again under my feet yapping yapping. I fed her, cleaned her litter swept the area and she pretty much hasn't stopped since we got up. I am happy for a talkative cat, I just hope that the constant meowing will slow down to just meowing when she wants something, it stresses me out. Is ignoring her meowing the best way to do this at this stage? She seems very comfortable with us now but i don't want her to be dependent on us.
I spoke to her old owner last night, she thinks she shouldn't be in heat for another 3 months... I have no idea what signs to look for if she is!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would definitely neuter her right away. She could be in heat.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When she is in heat she will be low to the ground tummy almost touching the floor, her backside will be stretched upwards and her two back legs will be moving up and down, she will chatter and will rub her face on everything, you will be able to tell when she's in heat.

kozziosko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm she's not doing that. she is rubbing her face but I think she's marking her territory. Does not appear to be heat. I am going to start a structured routine when I get home this afternoon. To get her used to everyday life with us. I hope it will help reduce the whining.
ta

kozziosko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Have you tried Feliway?
I have a friend who is a vet nurse, she has suggested this. I'm not entirely sure what it would do.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kozziosko

I spoke to her old owner last night, she thinks she shouldn't be in heat for another 3 months... I have no idea what signs to look for if she is!
I don't know why they'd think she'll take another 3 months, with spring just around the corner now is the time cats are starting to call again (those that stopped over the winter anyway).

Have you tried playing with her? Maybe she's also meowing out of boredom, along with adjusting to a new place.

kozziosko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Have you tried playing with her? Maybe she's also meowing out of boredom, along with adjusting to a new place.
Yeah we play with her, she hasn't responded too much to play. She was playing a little last night, but at the moment isn't too interested in her scratcher, balls or mice toys. Her previous owners said to use Catnip spray but it hasn't seemed to work either. I will be home in an hour, will be interesting to see how she is tonight

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always though they went into heat much more than every 3 months or so. Some do it every few weeks.

The absolute best thing you can do for her is to get her spayed right away.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know where she gets they go in heat every 3 months from. They can go in heat every other week. When my Coco was younger she would go in heat every few weeks. She is the one taht could not be fixed. Now that she is 16 she had a bout 3 heats since April but they are loud. She no longer rolls around.

kozziosko

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, ok I have taken her off to be desexed! I hope to GOD this helps calm her down. My partner is only giving her till Monday to improve a little.
Last night, she again only played for about 5 mins. I couldn't eat at the table either she kept trying to get in my way and she even stole my food! I pushed her off and said NO several times, but she has no idea what that means. The house is not a peaceful one at the moment and is really taking it's toll on us. She is only quiet when she licks herself or when it's bed time, she even meows while eating and peeing! It seems to be as soon as she can see or hear us, there she goes again with the meowing. I feel frustrated as the old owners clearly let he have run of the house. At the age of 18mths can they still learn right from wrong?
Also, any tips on how to keep her off the table and bench top? Is there something I can maybe spray on them to deter her?
Thanks

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's just not fair to expect a cat to behave "right" within a week of being in a new home. That's unrealistic. Cats are territorial, and being put in a new environment is like a human suddenly being transported to a new universe without any explanation. She will definitely come around, but you have to be patient, relax and let it happen.

18 months isn't too old to learn. Of course she doesn't know what the house rules are yet, because she just got there. When she does something she's not supposed to, just remove her from that area while saying no calmly and firmly.

For tables and counters, you can use double-sided sticky tape along the edges (they sell this at pet stores). Cats don't like to walk on sticky things. Another option many people like is upside-down plastic carpet runners; cats don't like to walk on the plastic points.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My thoughts are the same as what others have posted. My daughter took in a stray calico and she meowed all the time. She went in and out of heat frequently. Female cats will wander around and call for a male cat to come when they are in heat or close to heat. After my daughter got her spayed she settled down and does not meow all the time. It will take some time because those hormones don't vanish from there system right away. Until Monday will not be enough time.

Each cat is different. Let her adjust to your home like she needs to and buy your partner some ear plugs.
Play some soft classical music. Get her in a routine and give her time. I think animals are not spoiled, they just respond to their enviroment. Things will get better.