What to do? (budget question)

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the same price ($40/month), I can feed my 2 young (1-2 year old approx.) cats:

Wellness Indoor Health Dry (no wet)

OR

Natural Balance or Nutro Max Indoor* + Wet Food every day from brands like Natural Balance ($0.99/6oz can), Chicken Soup ($0.79/6oz can) and Nutro (cheap!).

The Wellness is a better quality food but that would mean that I couldn't feed wet food.

It's only going to be for the next few months until our budget is a little more flexible. I'm really hesitant to stop feeding wet food because their water fountain broke and so they are already drinking less water than usual.

*As for NB v. Nutro dry, I like the ingredients in Natural Balance more but they are having more hairballs than normal and I'd like to help that with the dry food. They are about the same price here when you take into account that the NB is more calorie dense. They are eating the Natural Balance Ultra now. I looked into Diamond Natural Indoor but it's not that much less than Nutro Max here and it's harder to find. I would have to spend more in gas to get it.

I realize I am probably just splitting hairs and it's not that big of a deal for a few months, but I'm curious nonetheless.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try to stay within a budget as well, but your budget is more than my budget. That being said, there are good quality foods that don't cost 99cents a can. I do trader joes, which just went up from 49 to 59. darn. anyway, from what I understand wet food is really important, so can't you find a middle road quality wet, and combine it with the dry. Do you have to eliminate the wet? The other thing is to cut down on waste. I make sure my guys are hungry when it is feeding time by not leaving out a lot of dry food to munch on. I will leave a small handful between meals. It is usually gone by dinner, or breakfast, insuring the eat it all. I feed my three guys two cans of wet a day, and a little dry. The split a 5.5 ounce can twice a day, and I put in the same dish a small scoop of dry. They are a little overweigh according to the vet. but I think she is silly. they are perfect, only fang is a little pudgy due to his starvation life on the streets, makes him a little piggie. another reason I don't leave out a lot of food. I throw very little away.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

For the same price ($40/month), I can feed my 2 young (1-2 year old approx.) cats:

Wellness Indoor Health Dry (no wet)

OR

Natural Balance or Nutro Max Indoor* + Wet Food every day from brands like Natural Balance ($0.99/6oz can), Chicken Soup ($0.79/6oz can) and Nutro (cheap!).

The Wellness is a better quality food but that would mean that I couldn't feed wet food.

It's only going to be for the next few months until our budget is a little more flexible. I'm really hesitant to stop feeding wet food because their water fountain broke and so they are already drinking less water than usual.

*As for NB v. Nutro dry, I like the ingredients in Natural Balance more but they are having more hairballs than normal and I'd like to help that with the dry food. They are about the same price here when you take into account that the NB is more calorie dense. They are eating the Natural Balance Ultra now. I looked into Diamond Natural Indoor but it's not that much less than Nutro Max here and it's harder to find. I would have to spend more in gas to get it.

I realize I am probably just splitting hairs and it's not that big of a deal for a few months, but I'm curious nonetheless.
Truthfully all the food s IMHO are the same quality ( wellness has more grain than Nutro but less than NB ...

I would just go by sales for wet food and possibley even the dry as sometimes one is a WAY better buy ...

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the second choice, and keep including wet food. My cats would be very unhappy if I cut wet food from their diet.

If you want to go with Natural Balance, PM me. I have 3 coupons that I can't use and I would be happy to send them to you. They expire 10/31/08.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can call up wellness every month and they will send you coupons for 10 dollars every month you call! best of luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, my gut was to stick with the wet.

As for cheap wet food prices, my options are very limited as I live somewhere with only 1 grocery store and 1 pet supply store (it's a semi-isolated tourist mountain town). We don't have Trader Joe's, Target, Wal-Mart, Feed Stores, etc. The pet supply store's cheapest wet food is the NB & Chicken Soup (at least the cheapest that my cats will eat). The grocery store charges an obscene amount for crappy wet food...3oz cans of the regular Fancy Feast for $0.80 each (the gourmet versions over $1!). I am not going to spend $0.70 for a 6oz can of Friskies when I can spend the $0.79 on a 6oz can of Chicken Soup. So I really am doing the best I can with wet food for where I live. When I go "to town" I can stop by PetSmart and stock up on less expensive things, but I won't be down there for a while.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With budgetting when i first got my kittens and was naive , i found some thing quite intresting out!

I was feeding my kitten a kitten brand dried food (Cant remember brand) but it had 40% protien in it or some thing , it was 1 99 a box , i looked carefully at store brought brand exactly the same ingrediants , but 37% protien , 45 pence! So i went with this and put the kittens on a 90% protein wet food with 37%dried , and there appitites are so much more satisfied now
which is good ,

I always look into the best food usually, but near the end of the month when money is tight they get the above food

Jess x

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
while it may not be considered a 'premium' food, i think the Chicken Soup canned [dry, too, for that matter] is very acceptable. in fact, i used to feed it as my wet & dry of preference. i recently switched only to use a 'no fish' wet. otherwise, i'd still use the wet.
wet ingredients:
Chicken, salmon, chicken liver, turkey, duck, chicken broth, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, barley, egg product, guar gum, flaxseed, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, taurine, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamin mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K), copper sulfate, calcium iodate, and sodium selenite.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

while it may not be considered a 'premium' food, i think the Chicken Soup canned [dry, too, for that matter] is very acceptable. in fact, i used to feed it as my wet & dry of preference. i recently switched only to use a 'no fish' wet. otherwise, i'd still use the wet.
wet ingredients:
Chicken, salmon, chicken liver, turkey, duck, chicken broth, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, barley, egg product, guar gum, flaxseed, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, taurine, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamin mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K), copper sulfate, calcium iodate, and sodium selenite.
IMHO it is a very premium food ... I dont like all the grains but for many cats it works and the $$ for many is good ...I talked to someone who said it is 30$ at the local pet store..

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by junior_j

With budgetting when i first got my kittens and was naive , i found some thing quite intresting out!

I was feeding my kitten a kitten brand dried food (Cant remember brand) but it had 40% protien in it or some thing , it was 1 99 a box , i looked carefully at store brought brand exactly the same ingrediants , but 37% protien , 45 pence! So i went with this and put the kittens on a 90% protein wet food with 37%dried , and there appitites are so much more satisfied now
which is good ,

I always look into the best food usually, but near the end of the month when money is tight they get the above food

Jess x
The meat content is important, and there will be very little in the 45p a box food, you would be best off with something like Pets at Home own or JAmes Wellbeloved - just be careful with the PAH stuff, they have 3 different lots, poor, average and good.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you have a good idea. My theory is feed the best you can on what you can comfortably afford. You always want to leave room in your budget for emergencies and unforeseen circumstances.
Wet food is a must in my opinion.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to laugh at Chicken Soup being affordable....it's coming close to $40 for the 18lb bag here!
Nutro is cheaper, Diamond Naturals is cheapest & relatively easy to get.

*End hijack*

If it comes down to it....skip the Wellness & keep the wet. I fed the Wellness dro for awhile...and I truly saw little to no difference in my cats coats/stools/etc. Not enough to make it worth the price, IMO. I am going to try something different, I just haven't decided on what yet!

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My budget is actually pretty similar to yours, and I ended up with two premium grain free foods in it!

For $22 a case, I can purchase Wellness wet 12.5 oz cans in any flavor. This lasts me at least a month. I feed a few spoonfuls (what would be about 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can) of wet food twice a day, morning and evening.

For $23 a bag, I can purchase Taste of the Wild Rocky Mountain Feline Formula (thank you so much for your recommendation Sharky!) in an 18lb bag, which lasts at least a month also (I am thinking longer than one month because I have not run out yet). I leave this out all the time, but soon I am going to restrict the amounts of this and potentially feed it on a schedule also, because Bamf is getting very porky already. I like to call him Mr. Chubbs.

That makes my monthly food budget about $45, not much more than yours! Both of these foods are high quality, premium grain free foods. My local pet supply store, Pet Supplies Plus, is happy to order them for me and is now going to keep them in stock for me! Plus, I feel great feeding it to my two kitties. They will be six months old in a few weeks.

Good luck finding something that will work for you!