*****KatKwery! - August 17*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First let me dispel the rumor that KatKwiz is going to become SnakeKwiz. But it is the job of KatKwiz to cover all areas of TCS!

We had four winners: luvmycat1 gets back into the thick of things using right, Cocoa Cream used change, Glitch remains in first place using think and welcome to a brand new player GoldyCat, who used option. By the time marianjela got here, four of the words were already used but for some reason I thought she would still score with England but she did not (for the GMT question).

Today's KatKwiz was about Pet Pics.

Some time ago I featured a tarantula from my back yard and today a snake, do these pictures have a place on The Cat Site? Pet Pics is somewhat hidden away, do you visit it often? Do you enjoy seeing ALL pictures of animals? Some people would not even think of a snake as being an animal, what about you? Did you consider today's picture logical as far as where you could find it?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I broke my last streak with my newest 10-win streak, so I will start again today
For some reason I had a feeling I didnt use a word yesterday. Like I said in a different post, I was out to dinner with a friend making plans for Joshua's upcoming off-treatment party and didnt get on til late yesterday. Hmmm... should've known to use England... named off some states, and thought about some countries - like China, but totally dismissed that one. Oh well.

And darn - Glitch and Luvmycat extended their lead on me! Now I'll have to double my efforts

Well, I suppose since I won KatKwiz today that I can share a bit of the KatKwery points.... I just didnt want you to worry about any more grandslams Lee
Yeah, that's it. But hey, you should be proud of those grandslams, it really demonstrates the participation level.

I suppose, even though I dont care for the pictures myself
the snake and spider pictures do have a place on TCS in the "Cats and Other Animals" forum. Now I go there every now and again to view the dogs, horses, bunnies and other furry fuzzy farm animals people share, but not particularly for the reptiles, vermin or any other scaly or slithery thing!
I prefer cute and cuddly, but to each it's own
No I'm kidding, I wouldnt personally own a snake, nor would I want to hold one, but they are interesting all the same. And although I wouldnt own a rodent myself either (had gerbils and hamsters in the past) I think the pics of the babies someone posted recently were cute! So though I dont want one, I enjoy viewing others and living vicariously through them.

Pet Pics, being a sub forum of the Other Animals Forum, I rarely access it directly from the forums page, but I do get in there through the back door of the "New Posts" page. So as often as posts and threads are made to that forum, I do venture in there on a regularly, probably daily (at the very least weekly, but on a regular basis) to see the photos of the pets. I am an animal lover in general, not just felines, and quite enjoy seeing the different pets TCS members have and share all the time.

Well, we went through the scientific definition of animal before, so biologically they are living breathing, eating, calculating, digesting organisms
However, if the real question is to whether I consider them PETS... I suppose they are, although illegal in my city. My brother's friend had a snake when I was younger (when they were still legal), and it ate live mice! Pets eating pets <skin crawls> but in comparison my dad also had huge aquariums full of oscars (fish) and they also ate live [fedder] fish that he kept in smaller tanks below. He fed the smaller goldfish, only to later throw them in the tank with the vultures! No one questions fish as pets... They're just as scaly and un-snuggle-able, although I'm really not afraid to be bitten by a fish. So I imagine the definition of a pet is open to debate and discussion.

I found today's picture very easily. I knew it was going to be in the other pets section, but I did a search in the bar for "snakes" and it was one of the first to pop up in that forum. Sure enough the pictures were there with a few others.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that it's great to for everyone to be able to share photos of all their various pets on TCS. So many cat owners also love and care for other pets, and it wouldn't be fair to exclude them from talking about their other animals just because we mainly are geared toward more feline topics. Besides, it's fun to see what interesting critters people keep in their homes that some of us would never even consider (for example, today's snakes!)

I rarely have visited the Pet Pics page, but it's not that I'm not interested. I just usually click on New Posts and check out whatever posts have subject lines that grab my attention. I really should go look at the Pet Pics more often, though, because I do enjoy looking at all kinds of creatures. I don't plan to ever have any pets besides cats and dogs, but I love all animals (to some extent, anyway) and enjoy hearing people's stories about them!

Ummm...yes, I'd think of a snake as an animal, though more specifically as a reptile. I don't really get excited about cold-blooded animals, especially the slithering variety, but I can appreciate turtles, lizards and frogs. I just prefer animals that have fur and can be snuggled!

I guess I didn't really look for the picture of the snake, so I don't know whether its placement on the forums was logical or not. Pet Pics would seem like the most sensible place to look, but that's just my opinion.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

First let me dispel the rumor that KatKwiz is going to become SnakeKwiz. But it is the job of KatKwiz to cover all areas of TCS!

We had four winners: luvmycat1 gets back into the thick of things using right, Cocoa Cream used change, Glitch remains in first place using think and welcome to a brand new player GoldyCat, who used option. By the time marianjela got here, four of the words were already used but for some reason I thought she would still score with England but she did not (for the GMT question).

Some time ago I featured a tarantula from my back yard and today a snake, do these pictures have a place on The Cat Site? Pet Pics is somewhat hidden away, do you visit it often? Do you enjoy seeing ALL pictures of animals? Some people would not even think of a snake as being an animal, what about you? Did you consider today's picture logical as far as where you could find it?
Sure they do! Thats why there is the Cats & Other animals forum, where I have my prairie dog up!! I like the pet pics forum but it is hidden very nicely, if you go to the bottom of your screen theres a forum jump though and you can hit it up through there alot easier than you can by fishing for it! I love seeing all the pictures of all the different animals! Its fun, and I loved the pic of the tarantula!! I didn't hit up the katkwiz today though because my daughter is sick, which is icky! A snake is a reptile but none the less an animal! I have a hard time not thinking of alot of different things as animals though, even humans are animals! I didn't see it so I dont know if it was in the right spot or not but Ill check it out to find out!!

Thanks for the points!! Makes a bad day all the more better!

By the way, that thing on the standings thing not holding still long enough for me to read it is driving me nuts!!!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

... especially the slithering variety, but I can appreciate turtles, lizards and frogs. I just prefer animals that have fur and can be snuggled!
Cocoa Cream, I'm like you, I prefer the warm fuzzy snuggly pets, but have been know to have frogs and turtles as pets in past, though admittedly for my children.

More fun to watch than to hold; hence, a picture is worth a 1000 words and so much better than actually being in my house! Hehehehe - and easier to clean up after

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL I used UK instead of England in my answer about GMT since I wanted to be absolutely correct, but oh well...

I do think these pics have a place on the CatSite since most people do have other pets besides cats. It was very logical that the snake was in the pet pics forum. I love seeing all the animals! If it lives and breathes, then it is an animal. Reptiles are just a specie of animal, like humans are in the primate species. Snakes and lizards are a couple of my favorite animals behind cats. I grew up with 2 older brothers who always was bringing home snakes and lizards, so I never have been afraid of them. I love the way a snake feels. Spiders are a different story though, I hate spiders!! Ugh

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think people should post things like spiders in snakes in the Cat Lounge to be honest. I hardley ever go to pet pics. I've posted a pic of a spider in the Lounge before and it didn't get moved by the Mods so I'm assuming it's OK to post pics like that in there. I do like seeing pictures of other members pets. I would consider a snake an animal I guess.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

sure they do! i don't visit Pet Pics often... but i really enjoyed the snake pix when the OP posted them. i enjoy seeing good pix of attractive animals, regardless of species, myself. i would definitely consider a snake an animal - this is based on the definition of the 'animal kingdom', which includes all living beings [insects, reptiles, fish, birds, mammals, etc.] that are NOT members of the plant kingdom! here's a definition of an animal, btw: Animals have several characteristics that set them apart from other living things. Animals are eukaryotic and usually multicellular (although see Myxozoa), which separates them from bacteria and most protists. They are heterotrophic, generally digesting food in an internal chamber, which separates them from plants and algae. They are also distinguished from plants, algae, and fungi by lacking cell walls. All animals are motile, if only at certain life stages. In most animals, embryos pass through a blastula stage, which is a characteristic exclusive to animals. i wouldn't have had any difficulty locating the pic - i remember it from the original thread [i think snakes are pretty!].