My first win with TUFFY !!

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Here is a picture from a few days ago where I got my first win on TUFFY. My wife's sister got the cool picture, it was right at the end of the pull as I stopped right in front of her. I had over 3 feet on second place.

I was so happy to finally get a win after almost 2 years of trying after building the tractor.

The tractor is named after my special cat Tuffy who crossed the bridge almost 2 years ago.

Tom

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hasn't anyone told you it doesn't do any good to turn the steering wheel while the wheels are in the air?

Very neat. What kind of horsepower does it have? What kind of engine, for that matter? And what class do you compete in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Hasn't anyone told you it doesn't do any good to turn the steering wheel while the wheels are in the air?

Very neat. What kind of horsepower does it have? What kind of engine, for that matter? And what class do you compete in?
Hi, The class is called Pro-Mod, it has a modified 16 hp Kohler single cylinder flathead engine. It has around 45hp now and it runs on straight methanol. It runs at around 8000 rpm.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! And that looks like so much fun!

Forgive my naivete -- what were you pulling?

I love the little picture of Tuffy. What a sweet thing to do.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a John Deere, with their trademark colors. Congrats!

Our daughter, Jen, goes to Elmira College in Elmira, NY. Their colors are purple and yellow and let me tell, purple is everywhere, from the rock salt and the folding chairs to their John Deere tractor. The school painted over the green with purple and left the yellow.

John Deere has trademarked those particular shades. By painting over the green, Elmira has violated the trademark and is not eligible for any maintenance. Glad that they have a handyman on the payroll to fix everything painted purple.

BTW, when they serve the parents for special events at Elmira, they dye the bread and you get your choice of purple or yellow bread.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Congratulations! And that looks like so much fun!

Forgive my naivete -- what were you pulling?

I love the little picture of Tuffy. What a sweet thing to do.
We pull a weight transfer sled, it works just like the ones for the big tractors just a smaller scale. It has a heavy weight box that is over the wheels at the back when we start and as we go down the track the weight moves up and puts more weight on the skid on the front end untill it stops you. I tried to find a picture that shows the sled also but I don't have any good ones.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is my stock class tractor, you can see some of the sled we pull in it. The tractor is a old Cub Cadet.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Tom, Tuffy would be very proud of his namesake. You did a great job on it.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

You have a John Deere, with their trademark colors. Congrats!

Our daughter, Jen, goes to Elmira College in Elmira, NY. Their colors are purple and yellow and let me tell, purple is everywhere, from the rock salt and the folding chairs to their John Deere tractor. The school painted over the green with purple and left the yellow.

John Deere has trademarked those particular shades. By painting over the green, Elmira has violated the trademark and is not eligible for any maintenance. Glad that they have a handyman on the payroll to fix everything painted purple.
Actually, I was curious and I asked my husband about that. He works for a John Deere dealership, and is a licensed dealer. That is NOT true. He said according to John Deere, you can paint the tractor pink with purple pokadots and as long as you don't paint over the ID number AND as long as the warrenty is still valid it should be serviced. Now, most tractors only have a 2 yr warranty. After than, they should still be maintainanced but the labor would come out of the owners pocket. If it is still under warranty, and they have a handyman doing the work that could make the warranty invalid. Or, if it's still under warranty and the dealership just refuses because of the paint they need to contact John Deere directly. Just wanted to clear that up.

Back to the topic, COOL tractors! I had to have my husband explain the whole sled thing on your second pic, but I think I understand it now. Actually, I think my husband is green with envy (get it...green...John Deere green!
I crack myself up!) Hey, he only sells them, he doesn't own one....yet.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

Hi, The class is called Pro-Mod, it has a modified 16 hp Kohler single cylinder flathead engine. It has around 45hp now and it runs on straight methanol. It runs at around 8000 rpm.
Wow, that's really screaming!

Have you seen my car?

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, My ugly mug with my trophy for first place, I also got $65. My sister in law's daughter got second place in a pedal tractor pull the same day I won, it was her idea to have our pictures taken together.