Clipping claws

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panther (the one year old black cat I just adopted from an animal shelter) had very long claws that seemed to always be getting stuck in my carpet when she is playing or kneading. I haven't owned a cat in quite a while so I am not really sure if I followed the correct process when trimming them. I just wanted to clip off the very sharp tips so I used a normal human pair of clippers. She was great about the whole thing she just layed in my lap and purred the whole time allowing me to trim her nails without a fuss. However I did notice before I tried clipping that one of her nails looks split down the middle. Obviously I didn't clip that one and it didn't seem like she was in any pain (she didn't pull away at all when I messed with it). Any idea if that could be a problem? Also any nail care tips would be great.
Thanks

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unlike our fingernails, cat's claws grow from the inside and are sharpened by shedding the outermost layer. I hope what you saw was just that outer layer coming off.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular nail clipping once a week - check and clip as needed is a good idea to follow. Try just taking off a little on the split nail. She could have had it caught in something and it split; but you can't wait for it to grow back.

Clipping a little at a time is the best thing.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I would get a clipper made for cats' claws.

I'm jealous that you can do it so easily. It's always a struggle with Chloe.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I occasionally find little pieces of nails sheaths around the house so the cracked one sounds normal, trim it slightly.

You're lucky that you have such a good cat, I have one that doesn't mind being trimmed and one who must be scruffed to be trimmed.

Leslie

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since clipping with a human nail clipper worked so well, I'd stick with that. (Although the one Shanynne linked looks very nice; I've used and hated the guillotine style ones.) Maybe when you dull it you might want to buy another, but a good cut comes from something you can hold comfortably that makes a clean cut. It doesn't matter what species or nail shape the clipper is designed for; it matters if it works!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

Since clipping with a human nail clipper worked so well, I'd stick with that. (Although the one Shanynne linked looks very nice; I've used and hated the guillotine style ones.) Maybe when you dull it you might want to buy another, but a good cut comes from something you can hold comfortably that makes a clean cut. It doesn't matter what species or nail shape the clipper is designed for; it matters if it works!
I have to say I also prefer the human nail clipper and clip from the side rather than top to bottom. They work very well and I've never had a problem. I tried the cat nail clippers at shelter and wasn't very comfortable with them as I couldn't see the nail as well.

Sounds like you have a real lovey of a kitty there. The split you say you see may just be the side part that comes off naturally anyway.