*****129,861 free points! - KatKwery! August 16*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder how many points will be the KatKwery payoff by October 1, the start of the 2008 KatKwery playoffs? Even if you have no points right now, you can still be in the playoffs. So, what are you waiting for, start RIGHT NOW!

Yesterday, Marianjela continued her run at the leaders by using the word just. Glitch widened her lead by using the word allow(ed) while Cocoa Cream used the word mod, which was acceptable for moderator. Finally, *Pepper* (not Pepper), used the word more. Nobody used the word where.

Just click on KatKwery Standings below to see the latest standings.

Today's KatKwiz was about having your clock set to the right time zone.

Has your clock ever been set to the wrong time zone? Did you know the proper steps in having your clock set to the correct time zone for where you live? Are you familiar with GMT and what it stands for? Not everybody has Daylight Savings Time, do you like or dislike the whole idea of Daylight Savings Time? Do you know what time zone you are in and what day it is in various parts of the globe?

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I wonder how many points will be the KatKwery payoff by October 1, the start of the 2008 KatKwery playoffs? Even if you have no points right now, you can still be in the playoffs. So, what are you waiting for, start RIGHT NOW!

Yesterday, Marianjela continued her run at the leaders by using the word just. Glitch widened her lead by using the word allow(ed) while Cocoa Cream used the word mod, which was acceptable for moderator. Finally, *Pepper* (not Pepper), used the word more. Nobody used the word where.

Has your clock ever been set to the wrong time zone? Did you know the proper steps in having your clock set to the correct time zone for where you live? Are you familiar with GMT and what it stands for? Not everybody has Daylight Savings Time, do you like or dislike the whole idea of Daylight Savings Time? Do you know what time zone you are in and what day it is in various parts of the globe?
GMT stands for Greenwich Mean Time which is a atomic clock located in Greenwich, UK.. I know how to set my clock here to my local time which is pacific time. I have this already set and have had it set from the first time I joined. I don't know how I feel about Daylight Savings Time. In the spring, I hate it since I need I need to wake up earlier, but in the fall I like it since I can sleep in an hour. I don't keep up with the different timezones in other countries much.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sure my clock has been set wrong before. I can't remember a specific instance though. I do know the proper steps to make sure the time is set right. Doesn't GMT stand for General Marine Time or something like that? I don't know.
I have DST where I live and I really can't say I like it or dislike it. It doesn't matter to me one way or another. It's kind of nice in the summer though because in June it stays light out until almost 10 pm. I'm in the Eastern time zone I believe, or GMT 5. I know Hawaii is like six hours behind where I live. That's about it.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Congrats to the winners! Whew, we're getting close now!

And how odd is this, I seldom play on the weekend! Just had to make time to brag about my bread, and couldn't pass up the Kat Kwery!!

Man, my clock on my cell phone is the most annoying thing!! None of my other clocks get set to the wrong time zone, all my house clocks are set to here, though some clocks, when I'm feeling lazy, I won't switch to or from daylight savings, because that is the stupidist concept ever, so in a sense, they in the wrong time zone! My computer clocks adjust autotically for daylight savings. Yay!
But my phone?? It's so weird... For example, right now, in my time zone, it is 1:22. And my cell phone says, 1:22. But half the time, and I don't know why it does this and it doesn't tell me, it will swithc my time zone to GMT -7, Arizona! I'm GMT -8!! Why does it do that?? You'd think it's no big deal, since the clock still says the right time, but then, it screws up all my appointments, and makes them an hour off... Ugh. Now, why it would change the time ZONE but not the time itself, I don't know!!

Of course, I imainge you meant the clock on TCS, but oh well, I had to answer fully, more chances to get the right word!!
For TCS, I set it up in the begining, and don't think it's changed... Not even sure I'd notice if it did!
And I don't remember how I did it, though I'd probably figure it out again if I had to.

Yup, I'm familiar with GMT! I thought it was Greenwhich Median Time, but Catkiki says Mean, which sounds right, too! I could go look it up, but I'll just call it GMT.

As you can probably tell, I HATE the idea of daylight savings time. Ugh. It's just stupid. Doesn't make any sense. Especially now that they got rid of popcorn!!!
Now, between that being gone and my phone being messed up AND them changing when it starts / stops, man, last time we made the change I was messed up for weeks. Because everything was set and implemented the changed at the old time, and then I missed the actual time... Just a disaster. And then your body has to readjust... It's pointless!

As I said earlier, I am in GMT -8! The Pacific Time Zone. I just don't know if this is considered daylight savings or standard time! Popcorn isn't here to tell me anymore.
I know Japan is currently 16 hours ahead of us! So it's tomorrow morning for them! But that's the only place I keep in mind...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When I first joined, I did not have the automatic daylight savings time detection on for some reason, I would have thought that to be the default. I knew how to correct it though because I was looking for another related question and just stumbled into it. Having been to the center of the universe as far as time goes, and having served in the USN, which bases all time reports as GMT, I was very well acquainted with this method of timekeeping and it takes all the guesswork out of what time it is. Basically I think it is silly to be falling backwards in the fall and leaping forward (springing) in the spring. I have been living in this time zone for forty years now and if I don't have it down now, I never will; as far as to knowing what day it is around the world, having served in the USN and travelling to 64 different countries, I have a pretty good understanding of what day it is where.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i had to set the clock when i first joined, but since i haven't moved since then, i haven't had to reset it. if i visit where the time zone is different [happened this summer] i don't bother resetting it. if i did move & need to reset it, i think i could figure it out - after all, i did it once before! GMT stands for Greenwich Mean Time. i've actually seen the GMT line in Greenwich! [they have a metal strip imbedded in the ground there.] i think DST is the stupidest concept ever invented - if businesses want to give people extra 'daylight' time in the evenings, they should just open an hour earlier & close an hour earlier. that's all we're really doing, anyway! it's like cutting off the top of the sheet to add to the bottom!
i live in the Central Zone of the U.S. - currently Central Daylight Time, will [thankfully!] change in a couple of months. i know how to find out what time or day it is in other parts of the world, altho i wouldn't be able to just tell you w/o a bit of research... altho i do know where the International Date Line is [approximately] so know that, in China [for example] it's already tomorrow!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's easy to screw up clocks here in Arizona. Not all items have a special time zone for Arizona and that becomes an issue because part of the year we are on the same time as the Pacific Time Zone and part of it we're on Mountain Time. If the product doesn't have a special arizona timezone you have to manually change the zones when the rest of the country goes on or off daylight savings.

There is another state (maybe two?) that doesn't go on daylight savings, but it sure is a pain in the rump here.

The reason behind daylight savings (there are two popular theories. one being that keeping the daylight later in the day promoted shopping later in the evning and thus more income, and the second is that it was done to conserve energy) is understood. but it doesn't work when the whole world isn't on it, and even worse if you live in a state that doesn't recognize it.

It should have been an all or nothing

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm in Arizona, which is one of the few places in the U.S. that does not observe daylight savings time. I like it that way since I could never figure out what we were saving. There are always 24 hours in the day no matter what time your clock says.

Most web sites that allow you to set your own time zone do not have the option of turning off DST. Therefore, I have to go in once a year and lie, saying I'm in the Pacific Time Zone instead of Mountain. Then a few months later I go back and change it back to the truth.

I found the TCS clock when I first signed up and was really happy to discover that I could turn off the DST option.

My biggest problem with DST is remembering how many hours different I am from other family member around the country. Am I calling an hour before they go to bed or an hour after?

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

No, I do not believe my clock has ever been incorrect, although I don't really pay much attention to it except for the KatKwiz! I was aware of how to set the clock to my current time zone, and I hope I would remember to hit the "save changes" button if needed! I believe GMT is an acronym for Grenwich (sp?) Mean Time. Is that true? We do have Daylight Savings Time, and I have never had a problem with it. I don't necessarily like losing an hour of sleep once a year, but it's not like we change times every week or something. I do know some people that are really annoyed by DST, but I don't understand why. It is helpful for alot of people to have that extra light in the evening during winter, so I think it's probably a good thing! I am in the Central Standard Time Zone, and I like it. My parents live in the Mountain time zone, and I didn't really like that as much for some reason. My in-laws, on the other hand, just moved from Eastern to Central, and they don't like it because all the shows they were used to watching are on at a different time now!
I don't really pay much attention to what time it is in other areas of the world. But I know that my friends who live in Africa and China are on a very different shedule than I am!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

GO ME! GO ME!! GO GO ME!

When I first started here my clock was set to the wrong time zone and it was rather annoying!
It took me forever to figure out what time zone I was in, it was frusterating! I did know the steps because of my previous problems with it, go to user cp, then go to Edit Options, then scroll down and way at the bottom part there is Date & Time options, Im in the central time zone, then I have my day set to sunday also! Then you just have to have the Automatically Detect DST settings! That way when you go through daylight savings time it changes the clock for you! I have no patience for trying to do it myself! LOL I do not know what day it is in various parts of the world but some places I do know the time for! I know that IRAQ is either one day ahead or one day behind of us, not sure which but that always confused me when family was over there!
I really am not to fond of daylight savings time, it messes with my sleeping schedule! I just dont like the idea of having to get up and hour earlier in the morning, because its not like I went to bed an hour earlier, I dont get enough sleep the way it is so that just sucks! Either way, if it falls back the next morning I lose sleep, if it jumps ahead, I lose sleep! It would be nice to have it stay the same so I could adjust instead of changing every six months!! I think its a conspiracy to make us all over tired and stupid! Not sure though, too tired to tell!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!
I'm only one win away from Luvmycat1, but Glitch is keeping up with a good pace.
But, she's gotta slip up some time
Thanks for the points again P&A!

BTW - I like the new cursor thing on the KatKwery Standings page. Cleverly Cute!

I'm not sure if I ever had to change my clock to the correct time zone or not. I wonder what the default is on TCS... Mine is now set to GMT -5:00 - We live on the East coast, which of course is Eastern Time. Up until I went to college I always thought it was Eastern Standard Time (EST) all the time. Even though I was well aware of Daylight Savings Time, I didnt know it was considered part of our time zone settings - Eastern Standard Time (EST) becoming Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) in March and returns back to standard time one minute after midnight again in November.

Personally I like daylight savings time, aside from the frustration of having to set the clocks back or ahead and remembering the "fall back", "leap ahead" adages. Without the change, the setting or rising of the sun gets out of hand at the end of fall. Not to mention the energy savings theory. Although I admit it is weird on the sleep schedule. When I was younger, I remember loving that extra hour to sleep in bed! It's kind of strange though, that most states and a lot of countries observe the savings time, but not Arizona or Hawaii.

I know that GMT stands for Greenwich Mean Time just as UTC is the anagram for Coordinated Universal Time, which is the official world reference for time. Even though most of us are more familiar with the terms, "eastern time", "central time", "mountain time" or "pacific time" here in the United States, it is nice having GMT, as it takes the guess work out of who is how many hours away from where. It is nice to have a baseline of sorts.

I am well aware of the steps of changing my clock on TheCatSite if needed. I remember awhile back when I was more of a newbie having a question regarding our clocks at a time when I wasnt as familiar with where it was. Of course now I know right away that it is located in my User Control Panel (User CP) and is under my "Edit Options" setting.

Like I said, I do know what time zone I am in, and I know how many hours my friends who live in California and Washington State are behind us, I do admit to getting confused to some of the middle states that arent as obvious as the east coast or west coast. I remember once making a call to Texas and being quite surprised to find out they were only an hour back from our time. Well most of Texas anyway. Just seemed like Texas was so much further away

It would be kind of weird to be in Nebraska or South Dakota, or even Kentucky, in the middle of the state, where one minute your in one time zone and another step your in another. Same state... different times. Could come in handy if you need more time

And the time zone question couldnt come at a better time than now, with the Olympics going on right now. If you didnt realize it before, and you're a follower of the Olympics in China right now, you know that they are a day ahead of us. Maybe we should ask them what the lottery is tomorrow

My dad was in the Navy also, so I think I am more aware of the time zones as my mother always found an opportunity to teach my brother and me a lesson as we were growing up - we would not only track him on maps, but she would point out what time it was where he was, or what day. We always thought it was neat when he was a day ahead of us or what not.

Back to the daylight savings time, I think the clocks nowadays make it a lot easier to keep track of the change. My computer automatically changes in the fall or spring. My cable boxes automatically keep track. Even my phones change at the appropriate time. I always thought it was neat to watch the clock change from 1:59 to 3:00 in a minute's time! And I know when I was younger, even though I wasnt a partier, thinking it was neat when the bars were open an extra hour at night
Oh yeah, even my house thermostat has the DST detection. I was surprised when I found that out. Must have an atomic clock or something. So the only clocks I have to change manually are my alarm clock, and microwave. Oh and the stupid clock in the car

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

It's easy to screw up clocks here in Arizona. Not all items have a special time zone for Arizona and that becomes an issue because part of the year we are on the same time as the Pacific Time Zone and part of it we're on Mountain Time. If the product doesn't have a special arizona timezone you have to manually change the zones when the rest of the country goes on or off daylight savings.
You know, even though I knew that Arizona doesnt "participate" in the daylight savings time, I never really gave it much thought. But after reading your thread - ouch! I imagine it would be quite a pain to keep track of everyone else's hours or what time zone you were in! Shwew. Envious weather - keester time!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Without the change, the setting or rising of the sun gets out of hand at the end of fall. Not to mention the energy savings theory.
except that they wouldn't get out of hand if we NEVER, EVER changed in the spring! DST gives us 'extra' daylight at the END of the day during the time of year when we ALREADY have longer days... hence more daylight hours. that's just one of the reasons i think it's so stupid.