It's not much, but can I brag anyway??

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cooking fest is complete! Because everyone is so wonderful at making me feel important, I am baking a few loaves of bread to bring to the bay area get together tomorrow. Oops, I mean later today, since it's now 2 AM!

So from the time I got home at 6 today until now, 2 AM, I've been baking! Of course, that includes shopping time and other distractions, but still...

We're ready to start! Notice Evie is there as the Master Taste Tester. She made sure I did everything to her strict approval! (No, she didn't really get to taste anything, she's not even allowed on the table, don't worry!) That clear plastic bowl is full of just the starter I used- that's how much started I had!

Mixing! The yellow bowl my husband is mixing is the actual amount of dough we had. Notice Evie is taking her job very seriously!

A few loaves about to be baked!

And the final product! Hubby and I kept the "reject loaf"- it literally had half the dough of the others, but still ended up nearly as big, go figure- in the back center, so of course as apprentice taste tester my master Evie allowed me to taste that loaf. Yummy, if I do say so myself!!

I hope everyone likes them tomorrow!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The loaves look really delicious!
Wish I was there to try them!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A funny coincidence on the loaves. We've (or DH has) been making our own loaves of bread - can't remember last time we bought on in the store. He made 4 loves of Amish Bread and two of them fell - like yours.

We'll keep them and share the others. Your's looks really good

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow how sweet of you to stay up late baking for your TCS friends. That is just so nice. I wish I was close by so I could try some, it looks delicious. Then I could babysit Evie while you were gone.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of bread is it ?? it looks yummy! Mind sharing the recipe? I cant wait for the bread maker that we have in Melbourne!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He he, thanks everyone, I am rather proud!
We'll have to see what everyone else says since each loaf is different (except for the two chocolate chip loaves), but I think the one I tried was good!

Originally Posted by BabyWukong

The loaves look really delicious!
Wish I was there to try them!
Thank you! All that white stuff on top is sugar topping... I just wish half of it didn't fall off as it cooled!
I wish you could try some, too, I had fun cooking for everyone!

Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Wow!
They do look good! You`ve been very busy
Thanks! We were busy. I had never cooked that many loaves at once, so it was fun trying to figure out the best way to mix it- all in that one huge bowl or two separates or what. I think the big yellow one worked out well!
You should see our sink now, though! I clean as I go, but at the end, I still had a sink load of dishes to wash- and haven't washed 'em yet.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

A funny coincidence on the loaves. We've (or DH has) been making our own loaves of bread - can't remember last time we bought on in the store. He made 4 loves of Amish Bread and two of them fell - like yours.

We'll keep them and share the others. Your's looks really good
Oh yummy! I love home made bread. When I was a kid, we made our bread all the time. But I hadn't made bread until we got this started a few weeks ago- now I'm remembering how nice fresh home made bread is!

But actually, none of ours fell. The one that looks like it did is actually just topped with nuts and only half the dough of the others, anyway, so it just looks like it fell.
Even so, fallen or not, they are yummy, aren't they!

Originally Posted by katachtig

They all look very yummy. Brag all you want about them.
Thank you! I know we have some great chefs on here who could post things that blow these of the water, but it was still fun for me!

Originally Posted by Pami

Oh wow how sweet of you to stay up late baking for your TCS friends. That is just so nice. I wish I was close by so I could try some, it looks delicious. Then I could babysit Evie while you were gone.
I was having a great time, too! I hope they are all good, since I can't try them all (darn!). But I used the same dough, so they should all taste the same, except for the add ins. I'd love to give you one, and Evie would love to have a friend come visit! Oh well, next time you are out this way.

Originally Posted by Bella713

Ohhhh nice, nothing like fresh bread, Yummy
Yes, I'm begining to get spoiled with this bread! I wonder how long I can keep the starter going for...

Originally Posted by fwan

What type of bread is it ?? it looks yummy! Mind sharing the recipe? I cant wait for the bread maker that we have in Melbourne!
It's Amish friendship bread! We got a bit of starter from a friend a while ago, and have rather been enjoying it! If you don't get the starter from a friend, you can make your own. Once you get that, it's really very easy, and I'm happy to share the receipe!

Starter:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amish-F...er/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3 cups white sugar, divided
3 cups milk

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Let stand 10 minutes. In a 2 quart container glass, plastic or ceramic container, combine 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in 1 cup milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover loosely and let stand until bubbly. Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle. Leave loosely covered at room temperature.
On days 2 thru 4; stir starter with a spoon. Day 5; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Days 6 thru 9; stir only.
Day 10; stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Remove 1 cup to make your first bread, give 2 cups to friends along with this recipe, and your favorite Amish Bread recipe. Store the remaining 1 cup starter in a container in the refrigerator, or begin the 10 day process over again (beginning with step 2).
FOOTNOTES
Editor's Note
Once you have made the starter, you will consider it Day One, and thus ignore step 1 in this recipe and proceed with step 2. You can also freeze this starter in 1 cup measures for later use. Frozen starter will take at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before using.

Keep the starter in a plastic ziplock bag to make the next process easier!

Prepping the starter:
Day 1- Begin or receive starter
Day 2- mush the bag
Day 3- mush the bag
Day 4- mush the bag
Day 5- mush the bag
Day 6- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk
Day 7- mush the bag
Day 8- mush the bag
Day 9- mush the bag
Day 10- Add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk

Pour contents of bag into a bowl (NOT METAL) with 1 1/2 cp flour, 1 1/2 cp sugar, and 1 1/2 cp milk. Mix and measure out 4 separate batters of 1 cup each into gallon-sized freezer bags (be sure to mark that day's date on the bag). Keep one for yourself and give 3 to friends with a copy of the recipe (or do like me and just bake them all yourself!).

The actual recipe! I can't find the same thing I am using online, so I'll just copy and paste mine for you! Feel free to look it up online, there are a few different variations out there.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. To the remaining batter in the bowl, add the following: (if you keep all the three bags, you are essentially making four times this amount, so will need to increase these proportionately)

3 eggs
1 cp sugar
1 cup oil
1/2 cp milk
1/2 tsp salt
2 cp flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Grease 2 large loaf pans or muffin tins. Dust with flour. Mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Pour batter into pans or tins and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar to form a thick topping. Bake at 325 degrees for 45-60 minutes (muffins bake for 30 mins).

To make it a little healthier, these loaves I took out half the egg yolks and replace 1/4 of the oil with apple sauce. You can play around with it, too! I made a banana nut loaf, a banana loaf, two chocolate chip loaves, an original, and a butterscotch. The others will have to let you know how those additions are- I've only tried our loaf, which was the banana nut.

Enjoy your bread maker!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

My cooking fest is complete! Because everyone is so wonderful at making me feel important, I am baking a few loaves of bread to bring to the bay area get together tomorrow. Oops, I mean later today, since it's now 2 AM!

So from the time I got home at 6 today until now, 2 AM, I've been baking! Of course, that includes shopping time and other distractions, but still...

We're ready to start! Notice Evie is there as the Master Taste Tester. She made sure I did everything to her strict approval! (No, she didn't really get to taste anything, she's not even allowed on the table, don't worry!) That clear plastic bowl is full of just the starter I used- that's how much started I had!

Mixing! The yellow bowl my husband is mixing is the actual amount of dough we had. Notice Evie is taking her job very seriously!

A few loaves about to be baked!

And the final product! Hubby and I kept the "reject loaf"- it literally had half the dough of the others, but still ended up nearly as big, go figure- in the back center, so of course as apprentice taste tester my master Evie allowed me to taste that loaf. Yummy, if I do say so myself!!

I hope everyone likes them tomorrow!
Everybody likes to brag and it appears yours is well deserved. Is that yeast I see on the table? Just goes to show you what I know but I thought in the bay area you never used yeast but relied upon the natural yeast spores in the air to get your bread going? Bread is just about my favorite food in the world, I kid you not.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished picking the fruit for today. We Have Grapes, a few Grapefruits because most were to soft and the new crop isnt ready. We have a few Kumquats and Figs and Almonds. I also will bring a Orange to show you how big it is. We can not wait to try the Bread. It looks good in the pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Everybody likes to brag and it appears yours is well deserved. Is that yeast I see on the table? Just goes to show you what I know but I thought in the bay area you never used yeast but relied upon the natural yeast spores in the air to get your bread going? Bread is just about my favorite food in the world, I kid you not.
Well, if I were able to go to your meet up, I'd bring you lots, too!
But alas, I cannot...
Next time, right??

And no, it's not yeast. It's sugar!! The topping is cinnamon sugar, and as it cools it falls off in landslides... But there's still plenty on top!

But we do need yeast in our bread, not sure where you heard that we never used it. This bread just has a starter, which is where the yeast is.