Need Urgent Help - Chance has really bad diarrhoea

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, Chance, my foster kitten is 2.5 months old. I just got him today. He's been suffering from diarrhoea for the past few days at the vet's. Vet said he's improved, but it looks like almost completely liquid to me, and smells really really bad.

Diarrhoea is so bad his bum is all sore and he cries when he poops. It also drips from his bum when he's walking around or playing, and he hates it when I clean his bum because its painful.

Please help, this guy has been through enough at a neglectful home, I want to rid him of his diarrhoea as soon as possible!

He's eating and drinking like a champ, but I monitor to ensure he doesn't get dehydrated.

The vet has given him Royal Canin Hypoallergenic DR25 kibble (I have no idea why he needs a hypoallergenic food...) as well as Hills Prescription Diet i/d. None of the 2 foods given says that its for cats with diarrhoea... I'm concerned that this isn't the correct food to begin with.

Please advice!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hills I/D is for stomach problems.

Boiled chicken and rice for a few meals usually stops runny poop pretty quick, with some Protexin.

I know many people who swear by Iams Hairball for diarrhoea too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try the boiled chicken and rice method. Does the rice need to be softened or will this make his diarrhoea worse?

Thanks for your help!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cook the rice for 10-15 minutes along with the chicken cut into small pieces.

Some cats seem to prefer it blended after that so it's smooth or they'll pick out the chicken and leave the rice. I know one of my sisters cats would do that.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

I cook the rice for 10-15 minutes along with the chicken cut into small pieces.

Some cats seem to prefer it blended after that so it's smooth or they'll pick out the chicken and leave the rice. I know one of my sisters cats would do that.
I agree. Chicken baby food without any garlic or onion works too. Rice is a good binder to stop diarrhea.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice to blend the rice and chicken! He picked out all the chicken bits yesterday and only ate a little bit of rice.

He's chowing down on his rice/chicken blend right now!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable, I agree he looks like he has some Aby in him. Hope he improves soon

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At that age its critical that you get the diarrhea stopped. He may even need some fluids by IV for dehydration. Healing vibes your way.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOOHOO!! I'm over the moon! He just had great solid poop, his poop actually has a shape!! I'm so happy for him

Thanks so much to all of you for your wonderful help and timely advice, TCS RULES!

About him looking like an Aby, yep I've noticed. But there's no way I can ascertain his heritage as he came from a horrible home with 30-40 adult cats, he could be anything! But judging from his markings and those incredible ears, I'd agree he probably has some Aby in him. Aby or no, he's still an adorable lovebug

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, seems I celebrated too soon. His diarrhoea is back with a vengeance. Sometimes it just squirts out from his bum... I think its time I brought him to a vet

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on no i'm so sorry! i was reading this thread with growing happiness thinking chance had turned a corner there.

maybe now is the time to take him back to the vet. it's seems like you've done everything you can. sending lots of healing for the little guy.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tab

on no i'm so sorry! i was reading this thread with growing happiness thinking chance had turned a corner there.

maybe now is the time to take him back to the vet. it's seems like you've done everything you can. sending lots of healing for the little guy.
Thanks for your vibes and concern

Now when he passes gas or scratches the scratching post too vigorously, some diarrhoea squirts out as well.

Poor little guy, his tummy and bum must be feeling horrible!

Yes I'll definitely bring him to a vet tomorrow evening. The only good thing is that his spirits are still up, and he's eating and drinking well.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A trusted vet has seen Chance, replaced his Flu medicine which the previous vet gave with better meds, and also gave him a tube of Bene-Bac. Hope it won't be long before his diarrhoea dries up

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't find wher you said, but has he been tested for coccidia and giardia? Both are nasty internal parasites that can cause these problems.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I didn't find wher you said, but has he been tested for coccidia and giardia? Both are nasty internal parasites that can cause these problems.
Hmm, if these 2 parasites can be spotted thru a feces sample, then that should have been picked up, because thats the only procedure the vet did. Can you advise how these 2 parasites are normally traced? If its not through fecal matter, I could call the vet and check if he had those tested.