Is this diet ok & how much should I feed them?

walkover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two 9 month old Siamese. A neutered big over weight male and a non neutered small trim female.

They were free fed dried food till 2 weeks ago. They were fed a combination of dried food and wet/canned food twice daily till one week ago. Now they are fed only canned food twice daily.

The only canned food where I am (China) is Whiskas Oceanic. Is this ok?

I feed them twice a day. How much should I feed them a day or a meal?

What would be a safe amount to feed the fat cat so he can lose weight with out losing health?

Thanks

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of that flavor as I don't feed Whiskas to my cats. I DO know that canned food is better for cats than dry food. Free feeding leads to obesity in many cats so it is good that you stopped doing that. Obesity causes a variety of serious health issues in cats. Wet food tends to have less calories and the water will help keep them from getting UTIs.
Is there anyway to get some other flavors of Whiskas? Maybe some chicken?

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Good for you for making the switch. I have seen many examples when cats are switched from dry to wet of cats moving to their correct weight. I would feed them as much as they want for now and you can make adjusments in ther future if needed.
Is oceanic all fish? An all fish diet shouldn't be fed. If it's a problem, you may want to consider a raw diet which you would have to specially prepare.
To judge the quality of the food, you want the first ingrediant to be a muscle meat like chicken and as little in the way or no grains if possible.

I know I didn't answer your question quite the way you wanted it answered. Cats have different metabolisims, bodies so thie r nees in the amount of food to be fed are different. 20 -25 calories per pund of cat is a general guideline to stay the same weight.
As I said though, most cats lose weight just from the switch from fry foods to wet
Best of luck

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by walkover

I have two 9 month old Siamese. A neutered big over weight male and a non neutered small trim female.

They were free fed dried food till 2 weeks ago. They were fed a combination of dried food and wet/canned food twice daily till one week ago. Now they are fed only canned food twice daily.

The only canned food where I am (China) is Whiskas Oceanic. Is this ok?

I feed them twice a day. How much should I feed them a day or a meal?

What would be a safe amount to feed the fat cat so he can lose weight with out losing health?

Thanks
I know china in limited in "pet foods" ... do you cook??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walkover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Is there anyway to get some other flavors of Whiskas? Maybe some chicken?
No. I've checked the two largest stores in my area and there is only one type and flavor of canned food available. What is the problem with a fish canned food?

Originally Posted by optionken

I know I didn't answer your question quite the way you wanted it answered. Cats have different metabolisims, bodies so thie r nees in the amount of food to be fed are different. 20 -25 calories per pund of cat is a general guideline to stay the same weight.
Do you know how many grams of canned food would give 20-25 calories?

Originally Posted by sharky

I know china in limited in "pet foods" ... do you cook??
Haha no I never cook for my self or for cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
30z = roughly 85 grams... easiest way is the GENERAL guide of 14 grams to 28 grams per 1/2 a kilo( I use lbs so 1lb =2.2 kilos??)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

walkover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

30z = roughly 85 grams... easiest way is the GENERAL guide of 14 grams to 28 grams per 1/2 a kilo( I use lbs so 1lb =2.2 kilos??)
Thanks for the reply Sharky.

Do you mean for eveyr 1/2 kilo a cat weighs, feed it 14 to 28 grams of canned food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by walkover

Thanks for the reply Sharky.

Do you mean for eveyr 1/2 kilo a cat weighs, feed it 14 to 28 grams of canned food?
YES...

The meat supply in China is ??? able and IMHO would not actually recommend raw food;0