Any Recommendations on reducing the amount of litter thrown on the floor?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently has wooden floors put down. The litterbox is in the bathroom, but I am finding litter all the way down the hallway. Does anyone have any suggestions on reducing the amount of litter that gets onto the floor?

With three Persians....I find tufts of hair everywhere also. It is hard to keep up with 3 Persians, much alone 4 cats and with no help.

picindiana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We bought one of those litter boxes that have the top cover. We took the actual top cover off, leaving the bottom section. It has very high walls that helps a lot.

We also bought an outside mat to put where the cats first step out of the box. That catches a lot of the litter too.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Yeah, get or make a high sided or covered box

A lot of people just buy a rubbermaid bin and cut a hole in the lid (or just leave the lid off) and the kitties go in and out from the top, leaving most of the litter in the box... Oliver's one box is covered and the other is open but in a kitty cabinet and I don't get a whole lot of litter tracking at all

Do you have any kind of mat around your box? That would help too

amarna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i agree with picindiana - something with high sides & a little 'doormat' that picks up all the litter from between their toes. you can buy special ones that are designed for cat litter - they are usually in the cat litter/tray isle at the pet shop.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use homemade covered boxes. We have very little tracking and what little we do have I try and sweep up each time I scoop. The boxes are in the basement, so its not as big of a deal for us--by the time they get upstairs there is no litter left on their feet.

Leslie

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

A lot of people just buy a rubbermaid bin and cut a hole in the lid (or just leave the lid off) and the kitties go in and out from the top, leaving most of the litter in the box... Oliver's one box is covered and the other is open but in a kitty cabinet and I don't get a whole lot of litter tracking at all
I use the Rubbermaids and they have done wonders for cutting down on the litter everywhere. We tried the "kitty washroom" cabinet for awhile, but we found that TONS of litter got kicked out of the little door and all over the floor. I'm all for Rubbermaids all the way!

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also buy litterboxes that have a lip around the top edge, I've found this helps limit the amount that ends up on the floor.

squishysa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lily was the same, litter all over the floor and then she'd chase it around and spread it even further!! I bought a tray with a lip round the top that is removable. I tried taking it off but soon realised it was much better on!

As soon as she gets fresh litter, even if she's just used the tray, she gets in and starts kicking it all out! She's a right wee rascal!!

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here are three options:

Omega Roll n Clean
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754459

I'm ordering one of these tomorrow. It cleans the clumps out of clumping litter by simply rolling it on its top and back and emptying the pull out drawer. If you have room to roll it, this is a great invention.

Iris Tall-Sided box
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3119532

I have one of these. Basic heavy duty cat box with very tall sides. It has a sifting screen for lifting out clumps, but that may be more trouble than it's worth.

Top Entry Cat Box
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2754439

If you can get your cat to use it, probably the best for eliminating rogue cat litter. If I had to put a cat box in the house (instead of in a basement), I'd probably give one these a try.

totorocat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my god that Omega Roll n Clean looks A-MAZING!
Can't believe I haven't heard of it until now.. I think I'm going to get one!

To the OP.. I have a cat that scatters litter everywhere too. We've tried everything, but I've just accepted that he has extra-long toes or some magical way of making litter footprints outside the box.
I got a handheld Dustbuster solely for litter spills and a quick swipe twice a day around the box keeps things under control.

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Read the customer reviews at the Petsmart link and also at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

Some minor quibbles here and there, but I've never read so many rave reviews of a product, especially a frickin' litter box... Just be sure to get the large one.

I drove 20 miles to a Petsmart yesterday just to buy one and they don't stock it in their stores anymore...just online. So I ordered a pair today. With two completely indoor kitties, I think it's probably best to have two boxes. Otherwise, I have to scoop every single day, no matter what.

I want the option to go away for the weekend and not have to get a pet sitter to clean the litter boxes. I've always had one large box for two cats in the past, but they were indoor/outdoor cats doing much of their business outside. Two boxes give a lot more capacity before they get nasty.

Here's a review with a short video showing the box being emptied:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R31TV82...cm_cr_rdp_perm

Here's the manufacturer's website showing the insides, along with links to assembly and demonstration videos:

http://www.omegapaw.com/RollAwayAssemble.html

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use tall Sterlite bins and don't bother to cut out a notch on the side. But I find that the high sides do nothing about the litter droppings that they take out of the box on their feet. I've used litter trays outside of the box and while it helps, it doesn't solve it either. The best thing that works for me is a large washable throw rug that I put under the box with the majority of it sticking out on the side where they exit the box. Most of the litter crumbs land there. You can shake it out and throw it in the wash to clean it.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

And here's the litter box being used wrong:

Lol!!!! That cat is like "how do I use this crazy litter box??"

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ha Ha. I don't think you are supposed to roll the box with the cat IN it!

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, the first of two Omega Paws arrived today. I filled it with Fresh Step clumping litter, left the top off, and called the kitties. They both came running, hopped in side by side and did some business. I rolled it around a bit with the top off just to see the litter slide, but the whole screen apparatus isn't really secure with the top off, so I splapped the top on.

I later saw one kitty go in and do the deed. Not sure about the second kitty. I tried rolling it and it works exactly as advertised. Amazing. Just roll it over, then roll it back. All the clumps end up in the pull out drawer.