Ewwww! A bunny!(long)

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, my Zorro did the grossest thing today, but first a little background....

When we rescued Zorro as a four week old kitten, the main reason my parents let me get him was because we live on an acreage far out of town and need some mouse control. We usually have one mouser and then Sasha, who watches but shows no interest in getting her pretty paws dirty
our mouser Oreo was starting to slow down, and we decided to try for another mouser as we had some problems with mice getting in the house.

So, five years down the road, Zorro is the best hunter we have ever seen in any of our lives before. He goes. He hunts. He brings home at LEAST 6 mice a day, twice as much as any cat before him. He is a big boy, very active and strong, and can put down about 4, when he starts leaving them on the decks, doorsteps, and in the garage as presents.

This year hes really started showing an interest in birds, to our dismay. That cat has gotten tons of robins, which I hate but there's no real way to stop him as we need him to catch mice. But now hes crossed the line from sad but necessary, to OMG!! how did he DO that!

We all are getting home from work, when we discover the grossest thing ever sitting in front of the door to our back deck. It was a JACKRABBIT!
How does he DO it!

He had obviously eaten some of it, (really gross, its HEAD was completely GONE!) but the rest was still there, and it was BIGGER than HIM!

I wanted to share, (though I also didnt want to inflict something this gross on you guys) but this is really crazy, I've heard of the odd dog catching a rabbit, but a cat? And such a big one? Eeeew! How the heck does a cat DO that? And even catch it in the first place!
And on top of that, not lose his please-cuddle-me-as-we-watch-tv kind of purrsonality?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More then likely the jackrabbit probably was hurt and could not run fast. And the cat dragged him back. No way of telling if the cat really caught and killed him or just found him barely alive and brought him back.

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are by nature carnivorous predators; or predatory carnivores--whichever way you put it. The big, purring lump on our sofa is of the same nature of the leopard, the lynx, and the puma. Anyone who is not willing to accept that, IMHO, should not have cats.

You said he wanted to share?

I take it, then, that you had hassenfeffer for dinner that night?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

Cats are by nature carnivorous predators; or predatory carnivores--whichever way you put it. The big, purring lump on our sofa is of the same nature of the leopard, the lynx, and the puma. Anyone who is not willing to accept that, IMHO, should not have cats.

You said he wanted to share?

The wildness of felines is what makes me love them so much. Mine are indoors but my house is insect free. I feel for the spider that makes it across my threshold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal

And yes, I do understand that cats are predatory by nature (obviously, with him bringing home so very many mice every day) I just thought this was very surprising (and a new step up for him) as I have never heard of a cat bringing home a full sized jackrabbit before.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, but a wild rabbit? That you didn't kill yourself, so you don't know if it was sick? I'll pass!

Farm-raised rabbit doesn't sound too bad, though. I've never eaten rabbit, go figure... Dad was big on hunting deer, but never brought home a rabbit. (Also? Those people who shoot things and don't eat them? Seriously disgusting behavior, that. You can see it in a cat who brings home mice, but human beings should know better.)

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

. I've never eaten rabbit, go figure... Dad was big on hunting deer, but never brought home a rabbit.
My cousins raised rabbits for 4-H. (For readers outside of the US, here is what 4-H is; I presume you have something similar in your country: http://www.fourhcouncil.edu/)

Rabbit is very like chicken, but denser and with much less fat. In general, if you want to try a rabbit rec. but can't get rabbit, use chicken, and if you want to try rabbit and don't have a rec., use a chicken rec.--but remember, much less fat, so choose a wet rather than a dry method (stew, braise, fry, or wet-roast rather than grill, broil, or bake; if you use any of the latter, it will be too dry.)

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should have taken picture of the bunny!!

Our cats bring things but they are always much smaller.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

Wow! How big is Zorro?
Ummm....well, hes a pretty big boy, but then it seems like lots of neutered males tend to get bigger. Pretty slim but heavily muscled, and pretty big boned.

He is about 12.5 pounds on an empty stomach, if he stands on his back paws he can reach my hips (I'm 5'8)

If you can get a picture from that

Maybe I'll have to post a pic (whever I can find a minute that is
)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kernil

Ok, my Zorro did the grossest thing today, but first a little background....

When we rescued Zorro as a four week old kitten, the main reason my parents let me get him was because we live on an acreage far out of town and need some mouse control. We usually have one mouser and then Sasha, who watches but shows no interest in getting her pretty paws dirty
our mouser Oreo was starting to slow down, and we decided to try for another mouser as we had some problems with mice getting in the house.

So, five years down the road, Zorro is the best hunter we have ever seen in any of our lives before. He goes. He hunts. He brings home at LEAST 6 mice a day, twice as much as any cat before him. He is a big boy, very active and strong, and can put down about 4, when he starts leaving them on the decks, doorsteps, and in the garage as presents.

This year hes really started showing an interest in birds, to our dismay. That cat has gotten tons of robins, which I hate but there's no real way to stop him as we need him to catch mice. But now hes crossed the line from sad but necessary, to OMG!! how did he DO that!

We all are getting home from work, when we discover the grossest thing ever sitting in front of the door to our back deck. It was a JACKRABBIT!
How does he DO it!

He had obviously eaten some of it, (really gross, its HEAD was completely GONE!) but the rest was still there, and it was BIGGER than HIM!

I wanted to share, (though I also didnt want to inflict something this gross on you guys) but this is really crazy, I've heard of the odd dog catching a rabbit, but a cat? And such a big one? Eeeew! How the heck does a cat DO that? And even catch it in the first place!
And on top of that, not lose his please-cuddle-me-as-we-watch-tv kind of purrsonality?
I find dead, eaten rabbits at my house all the time from the neighbors cat. I find it odd the cat leaves them in my yard because it's skittish so I've never been able to pet it. Maybe the cat secrectly likes me.

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I find dead, eaten rabbits at my house all the time from the neighbors cat. I find it odd the cat leaves them in my yard because it's skittish so I've never been able to pet it. Maybe the cat secrectly likes me.
haha, see that's what I mean! That's the first time I've ever heard of anyone else ever having cats who catch rabbits.

On another note, I had an odd thought....what would it look like when a cat caught a rabbit, especially if the rabbits so big? Which of the big cats do you think they would resemble? Maybe a cheetah, chasing it down?