Cross Stitching, anyone?

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So Now that I am pretty much done with school and I'm just job hunting, I decided to buy a cross stitch pattern yesterday. I got one of the stamped ones because I'm kind of scared to try the counted ones right now haha. So far it has kept me from being bored and hopefully will in the next few weeks. I haven't done this since I was about 12 years old or younger, so it's been a while. This is the one I brought home with me http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...352&channelid=. I love birds so I think it's perfect
(It's kind of weird being a 24 year old and wanting to cross stitch to keep me away from boredom!) But at least I can hang it up on the wall when I'm done with it and my cat can't try and eat them, at least. She has been trying to play with my thread though.

I really would love to learn how to crochet, but my mom never learned how to do it from her mom, so I really don't know anyone who knows how to do it. I would love to make my own scarfs and stuff like that. If you know of a good website that teaches you how to do it, let me know!

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the hobby! I hope it gives you countless hours of entertainment

I have a half finished eeyore counted I started before my baby was born. He's 14 months now..
I got halfway through and realized I see like I'm 60, rather than like I'm 15. Too much up close work for me. Hopefully I can get it done before he graduates college.

I learned to crochet some 25 years ago, and havent done it since. I've been trying to get my mom to show me again but she says her wrists arent what they used to be and doesn't know if she can do it anymore. Here's hoping!

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cross-stitch too! It really consumes me when I get started, though. I could spend hours and days on end doing that. I have done 2 baby blankets and a couple hang-y type things like you got there.

Here's some pics--remember we all want to see the final product when you finish!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those bunnies on that blanket are sooo cute!

I've found using white thread hurts my eyes though. I think its because its harder to see and so I have to take my time to make sure the x's look okay. So earlier, I did a bunch of the white portions just to get it over with haha. I still have some left though. Maybe I'll save it until the end.

If I remember to take a picture of it when I'm done, I'll do that for you guys so you can see the purrrty end product!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I so wish I had the patience to knit/crochet/cross-stitch! unfortunately my attention span is not quite long enough

That is an adorable blanket, Farrah!!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had a craft store nearby I could certainly get into cross stitch!
I do plastic canvas crafts, am still learning though, good thing it's such a forgiving craft.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love cross stitch.

I've never used a stamped pattern because I was advised against it because sometimes the stamp shows through the stitching. So I started with those very small cross stitch kits that you can find at Wal-Mart, and worked my way up in size.

The current project I'm working on is a carousel horse. The one I'm doing is spring, but there are 3 other seasons that I would some day hope to do.

This one is almost finished. I still have about 1/4 of the bottom border to do, the lower right corner, the right side, upper right corner and the top 1/4 of the border to the middle of the ribbon. I haven't been working on it very much the last 5 years or so because the lighting in my apartment isn't conducive to doing cross stitch, plus it's 32 count linen so it's like trying to cross stitch on your T-Shirt. Very hard on the eyes.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love to cross stitch (counted, not stamped) but since my Lasik surgery I've had a tough time with it. I've made marriage, anniversary, and birth samplers for tons of family members, and have pieces hanging all over the house. I absolutely love the Lavender and Lace angels and have the Angel of Autumn hanging in my living room.

Fuzzies, you really should try the counted after you get done with your stamped piece; you'll be surprised at how easy it really is. Good luck with your new hobby.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that counted cross stitch isn't that hard. It looks more intimating than it really is. My mom got me into it years ago but I haven't done any lately. Some of the patterns are gorgeous! If you can count, you can do it. The trick is to do each color by themselves. Yeah, it looks stupid in the beginning but once it all comes together it is amazing. I have a few of my mom's works hanging in the house and people actually think they are paintings until they get up close.

You said the white thread hurts your eyes. Try putting a dark towel or dark paper on your lap or table you are working on. My mom was going crazy trying to do a counted cross stitch of the Last Supper. The boarder thead was black, material was black and it gave her headaches trying to see what she was doing. Her friend suggested working over a piece of white paper to give the contrast. It should work for white too...just use something dark under it so you can see what you're doing.

Definitely post pics of your finished masterpiece!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I love cross stitch.

I've never used a stamped pattern because I was advised against it because sometimes the stamp shows through the stitching. So I started with those very small cross stitch kits that you can find at Wal-Mart, and worked my way up in size.

The current project I'm working on is a carousel horse. The one I'm doing is spring, but there are 3 other seasons that I would some day hope to do.

This one is almost finished. I still have about 1/4 of the bottom border to do, the lower right corner, the right side, upper right corner and the top 1/4 of the border to the middle of the ribbon. I haven't been working on it very much the last 5 years or so because the lighting in my apartment isn't conducive to doing cross stitch, plus it's 32 count linen so it's like trying to cross stitch on your T-Shirt. Very hard on the eyes.

Oh, that is just beatiful! Can I pay you to do some for me???

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Oh, that is just beatiful! Can I pay you to do some for me???
Only if you pay for Lasik eye surgery for me first! LOL

I'll try and get a picture of the actual project instead of the cross stitch art image. It really is lovely.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
ME ME ME! I used to cross stitch ALL the time - my mom does it too. And no worries, I'm 24 and earlier this summer kinda started to learn to crochet just cuz I was also job hunting and bored - for that, it's much easier to find someone to teach you rather than online or a book... check with your Michael's to see if they have a class on it.

Counted cross stitch really isn't that hard - I agree that you should grab a little starter one to begin with.

I can't even remember all of the things I've stitched! For all of my family and some friends, I did small pieces of their cat and/or dog - I'd stitch the animal, then stitch the name underneath and then put the piece in a little hoop and add a piece of colored ribbon to hang it on the wall. Everyone loved them! I have the Oliver one in my room and my dog (Cuddles) is in the dining room.

My mom did The Pennsylvania State University seal for my uncle when he graduated in 87 and then just redid it again, 20 years later, for my graduation last year - that one was apparently really hard cuz it's very intricate. She also did a very large firefighter picture (for my dad) - it's a coat hung up, helmet, bunker pants and boots. It's called "waiting" and it took her awhile since there are a lot of shadows in it.

I know I've done some bigger pieces, but I can't think of them right now haha. I'll have to try and take some pictures of some of our stuff to share.

Oh! My mom is also the QUEEN of bathroom finger tip towels! She's stitched me an entire set for like all of the holidays and such for a bathroom I don't have in a house/apartment I don't live in hahaha (I still live at home). Most of my aunts/female family members also have sets of towels from my mom haha

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I just remembered that one big piece that I did and am really proud of was a gift for my dad.

We are NASCAR fans and have always followed Dale Jarrett. One year in North Carolina, I found a pattern for DJ's #88 Quality Care car (when he still drove it) so I bought it along with aida cloth that was stamped with a decorative checkered flag boarder. Since the cloth was kinda delicate, I had to be sure to wash my hands really well and all when working with it. And since it was a present/surprise for my dad, there were a few times he came home early and I had to quickly, but carefully stash it away! After finishing the car, I scanned a baseball card with DJ's signature on it and then fit the "D" and the "J" onto graph paper in order to stitch it... so I used the "D" and "J" from his actual signature and then just found a nice script in a book for the rest of the letters of his name and stitched it under the car. It's in a red frame, hanging in the computer room which is like the NASCAR/firefighting room haha

I'll take a pic at some point and post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuzzles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I love cross stitch.

That is just gorgeous!! Where did you buy it from? I'd be interested in seeing what the other seasons look like as well. I'm sure they're just as nice as the spring one!

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely
Cross Stitching, my mum taught me how to do it at a young age, and I still enjoying sitting at home for hours on end completing patterns and such...it's relaxing

My last project was of a Japanese Geisha standing with a bright Orange Parasol..and I
that one the most, as it was the first I completed without help!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fuzzles

That is just gorgeous!! Where did you buy it from? I'd be interested in seeing what the other seasons look like as well. I'm sure they're just as nice as the spring one!
The design is by Teresa Wentzler. I bought the Spring pattern at a local craft store several years ago. I later found out that there were 3 other seasons so I ordered in the book with all 4 patterns.

Unfortunately these designs have been discontinued.

Here are the 4 seasons:

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/spr.html

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/sum.html

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/fall.html

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/win.html

You can see more of her designs at this link:

http://www.twdesignworks.com/Designs/index.html

Here is a link showing 2 larger images of 2 of the seasons. Spring and Fall I believe.

http://cthulhucrochet.blogspot.com/2...art-three.html

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love cross stitching but I never finish my projects )= The black outlining makes everything look so much better, but it drives me batty.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm another that loves to begin projects, LOL! I've got a lot of cat ones, including one of my RB boy Smudge that Huggles made the pattern for me out of a photo I had of him.