Pictures of Panther and feeding questions

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are a few pictures of Panther (if I did this right) I think she is Bombay but I'm not sure, she sure looks like a Panther to me. I have started her on a diet of Wellness CORE and I plan on doing one meal of wet Wellness food per day and leave dry food in her bowl all the time. Does that sound ok? Thanks

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd say she's one very lucky Panther!

I would second your food choices. Could I suggest the grain-free Wellness wet? You do want to keep the carbs off that gorgeous figure...

If the indoor temperature is moderate and, if you're comfortable with the idea of leaving wet food "out" ( this Veterinarian is), you might consider leaving out a plate of wet in the morning so she can eat periodically. Another plateful in the evening/overnight.You can then judge how much of the Core she will need. Using those foods - as experienced here with (now) six cats - she won't take on unnecessary weight.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sounds like a good plan.. I am in the school of only leaving wet out an hour ... personal experience and my own education leads me to leave it out ONLY an hour YMMV

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It'll depend on whether Panther is able to self-regulate enough to only eat what she needs. My boys aren't, so they get a meal of canned once per day (usually morning right now), and a couple of small, measured meals of dry at night.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wellness, Royal Canin, Natural Balance are some of the better foods. Just for your info - Panther is not a Bombay - but he is a very pretty black cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to feed all wet due to the health benifites that I've read about however I think it would be to much for me to afford for the time being. Not to mention that Wellness isn't sold in any local pet stores and I have to buy in bulk from a store 1 hour away. She seems to be a light eater so far but I will keep my eye on it to make sure she doesn't start eating too much. Any ideas what a good schedual might be for her feedings? How much etc.
Any idea what breed she may be? She does have a small patch of white fur on her belly so technically she isn't totaly black.

Thanks for all the info

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

sounds like a good plan.. I am in the school of only leaving wet out an hour ... personal experience and my own education leads me to leave it out ONLY an hour YMMV
I find that it doesn't matter how long I leave it out. My cat will only eat it for up to one hour, maybe even less, when first opened. Otherwise it dries out too much and she avoids it.

sweetkara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my kitties wellness wet twice a day plus have the core dry food out 24/7.

I found once I started giving them a scheduled feeding of the wet food- then they looked forward to that and want less dry food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogstar5988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetKara

I feed my kitties wellness wet twice a day plus have the core dry food out 24/7.

I found once I started giving them a scheduled feeding of the wet food- then they looked forward to that and want less dry food.
I've tried to give Panther wet food twice now with two different flavors and she hasn't even nibbled at either of them, but she eats the dry pretty well. Do you think I should keep trying different flavors of Wellness wet or maybe try other brands? Or could she just not like wet food all together?

Thanks everyone I'm getting a lot of good info from this site.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DogStar5988

I've tried to give Panther wet food twice now with two different flavors and she hasn't even nibbled at either of them, but she eats the dry pretty well. Do you think I should keep trying different flavors of Wellness wet or maybe try other brands?
I use a mix of Orijen and Core through the day here. The wet is Wellness grain-free and Eagle Pack Holistic. If I leave the dry down at all times and, simultaneously put out a wet meal, very little of the wet will disappear. If, on the other hand, I remove the dry 2-3 hours before I put out the wet, the wet disappears.

Or could she just not like wet food all together?
The latest arrival here is what Dr. Lisa Pierson calls a "dry food addict". The absolute only remotely moist food he will consider (and which, in fact, he inhales) is the very infrequent tidbit of human tuna.

IMO, you'll only know if Panther will accept wet by removing the dry well beforehand, putting out a wet meal, and leaving it out for several hours...and, I think that this has to become a routine. She may not consider it the first few times but, she may well become accustomed to it and it's routine appearance given a little time. (Of course, she may just surprise you as well!
)

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys love their wet meal in the evenings but they would turn their noses up if they were free fed dry during the day.

They each get fed when I get up and after an hour I take away their bowls if there is any left, rarely if ever is there any left. Then at dinner time they get wet and then before bed they get about 1/8 of a cup of dry to tide them over until morning.

Leslie

lilyluvscats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe she's not used to wet. Don't give up. Most cats like some wet food. They all have different tastes. The fussier ones usually don't like the pate as much as the chunks in gravy. Which wellness did you try? Of the three cats I have now, one will eat anything, the middle one will eat most and the oldest prefers dry but will eat some wet. He 'll eat one or 2 of the Merricks, one or 2 of the weruva, the new wholesome goodness meow mix wet, some of the Max Cat, some cheaper ones like fancy feast.