Possibly eaten a piece of tape...

hyper piper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all, please help as I'm pretty worried about my kitty right now and don't really know what to do.

I woke up this morning to my cat crunching on something, at first I figured she'd found a bug but when I went over to grab in out of her mouth, there was nothing there, so she must have swallowed it. I did find a piece of scotch tape lying on the floor chewed up, and I'm thinking she ate the other half. I couldn't have been very big, maybe an inch or so long.

I'm really not sure what to do, I don't know if I should take her into the vet now or if I'm overreacting. I'm not even a hundred percent sure she ate whatever it was, but I am pretty sure it was tape, and I found where she got it from and crunching it up sounds just like what it did this morning.

Please guys, you've helped me out before so please tell me what I should do or watch for. Right now she's running around like normal, but again this was just like an hour ago that it happened.

Thanks.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to suggest that you call and speak directly to your Vet about this...not to one of the staff, but directly with the Vet. Better to do that than to decide on your own whether/not to take her in (maybe because of something said or implied on here). I wouldn't want to be having regrets later on, if it were I.

As well, all Scotch tape isn't "created equal"...some "thicker" and more resilient than others. If inflexible, it might catch in her throat/esophagus...if it goes beyond, I'd be worried about it tearing some soft tissue. So, I'd save a sample.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call the vet and tak to them for sure. My Coco has scared me before. Last Christmas she ate the inside of a cat toy and I didnt even know until she threw the ribbon up whole. I hope your cat will be ok.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Charlie likes to chew on tape too. I'm not sure if he's eaten any (I think so) but he's never had a problem.

Just keep the tape away. I've had to spray Bitter Apple on the outside package of tape a few times to get him to stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hyper piper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called the vet this morning. I didn't get to talk to the actual vet but I do know the woman who answered the phone and I trust her the most of the vet techs. She thought that it should have no problem just passing through, that it would mix up with food and just come out. So I'll just watch her and keep my fingers crossed.

I love this kitty so much but she is so mischevious. She eats literally everything she can get her paws on. And she LOVES tape which is why it doesn't surprise me that she would eat it. Anytime I take a piece of tape or a sticker or the like off anything she is all over it. I know where she got the tape from and I didn't think she would be able to get to it but apparently she can. It doesn't help that I'm completely paranoid about something happening to her...

Do you guys know how long it will take to pass? And what should I look for to make sure she is okay??

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Usually it takes a day or 2 to pass something. Mine at one time or another has eaten something and passed it the next day or so. that she passes it soon.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found string in Cleo's poo. He used to be a mouther in that he wanted to taste everything. The only time I took him to the vet was when he threw up a few times. They did an Xray and he did have something in there but it too passed.
Most benign things will pass easily. Like tape.
One time Seldon had eaten a rubberband and it came out but it hung out of his booty forever and I so badly wanted to pull it out but you aren't supposed to do that. Finally he went poo and out it came.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would keep an eye on her and watch for any signs of distress. You might even want to minimize the amount of litter in her box so that you can see more easily what's going on.

We had a cat that loved anything sticky. Fortunately, he didn't eat it, but he wanted to play with it. He especially loved the stickers that come on new clothes, especially blue jeans. He'd come running when we pulled one off, and stand still so we could stick it on him. Then he'd dance and roll around, until he managed to pull it off. Then he wanted us to stick it on him again. He'd do that until the sticker had so much hair on it, it wouldn't stick to him any more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hyper piper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's doing just fine as of lunchtime today. It's been three days since she ate it, do you guys think it should have passed yet? I don't know what the normal mouth-to-litterbox turn around time normally is

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think that if she's still eating, playing, and using the litterbox normally then she's probably passed it.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

We had a cat that loved anything sticky. Fortunately, he didn't eat it, but he wanted to play with it. He especially loved the stickers that come on new clothes, especially blue jeans. He'd come running when we pulled one off, and stand still so we could stick it on him. Then he'd dance and roll around, until he managed to pull it off. Then he wanted us to stick it on him again. He'd do that until the sticker had so much hair on it, it wouldn't stick to him any more.
what a crazy cat!
normally they hate having anything stuck to their fur. that must have been really funny to watch!

hyper piper hope your kitty is ok, i would still watch her closely if you haven't seen her pass the tape yet.