Any Chai drinkers out there?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've become addicted to Starbucks Chai Tea Latte. The problem is Starbucks is expensive. So I'm wondering if anyone has a good receipe for Chia Tea Latte? I've been trying, but I can't get it just right.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that I have had a Chai Tea Latte from Starbucks, but when I am making Chai at home, I use Oregon Chai (it is a liquid) and vanilla soymilk. That makes a pretty respectable iced Chai.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Celestial Seasonings Chai Spice tea. I brew it in a teapot. I use regular soy milk - milk in the cup before the tea, as they do with their tea in the UK, then a sweetener.

But....mmmmm.....vanilla soy milk in it sounds great!!! I think I'll try that.

Twinings Indian Spice Chai is also very good.

herbalheidi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really like the Good Earth brand for teas. It is about $4 for a box, but if you buy it in bulk from Amazon you can save some money.

I usually use soy milk in my tea, but if I want more of a dessert I'll use condensed milk. Condensed milk makes the tea very sweet and rich tasting.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second Oregon Chai as my favorite. I used to swear by the one Starbucks uses (name escaping me at the moment), but then I moved to Portland, went to Costco one day and found they have a three pack of those vacuum-pack boxes of Oregon Chai. I bought some, and haven't looked back. It's not as heavy in the spice department.

Now, I'm a cold chai drinker... and although I have done Soy milk, it does change the flavor. If the Chai you get at SB has soy, then stick with it, but if you're doig milk, then use milk.

I go half and half in my mix: I fill t he glass a little under half with the Chai concentrate, then fill to a little under the rim with milk. I stir, then enjoy. It's not hard. If you want it a little stronger, then more chai, less milk.

Many grocery stores are carrying the Chai concentrate nowadays... Trader Joe's, Safeway I believe also has it. You can also get it in tea bag form, but if you want quick and easy, the concentrate is excellent. I suggest trying Oregon Chai, then if you don't like it, try another one...

Amanda

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found out recently you really are supposed to make it with milk/cream. We get the Chai Tea and just drink it with only sugar.
So I'm no help.....

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have nothing to add since everyone is so helpful... the only thing i wanted too add is.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Chaaaiiiii ttttteeeaaaaa Yuuuummmmmmm

Thats it LOL.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

I have nothing to add since everyone is so helpful... the only thing i wanted too add is.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Chaaaiiiii ttttteeeaaaaa Yuuuummmmmmm

Thats it LOL.

I get vanilla chai from a little local coffee shop on occasion, and it is DELICIOUS.

But now I really want to try the Oregon Chai. It sounds awesome, and I could make it at home!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'll have to try to find Oregon brind. I bought some Tazo, it's a very bitter tea I've been adding Milk & sugar, but it's just not right. I did notice it does not have any nutmeg in it. I also want to buy some honey and try that instead of sugar.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tazo... that's what Starbucks uses... much too heavily spiced and yes, a bit tart...

Oregon is the best I've had so far... You should be able to find it with the tea at larger grocery store.

Amanda

Originally Posted by Rang_27

I guess I'll have to try to find Oregon brind. I bought some Tazo, it's a very bitter tea I've been adding Milk & sugar, but it's just not right. I did notice it does not have any nutmeg in it. I also want to buy some honey and try that instead of sugar.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure what is available where you are at, but I use Epicure Selections Chai Tea mix. It's a blend of black teas and spices, including cloves, cinnamon and dried orange peels. To make it, you heat milk, or soy milk, over the stove and add the dry mix. You let it steep and add whatever sweetener you prefer. When it's done, you strain it into cups and discard the leftover spices.

I don't like commercial chai mixes as they are far too sweet for me, and they just seem too processed.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i like Stash's Double Chai Spice tea. you could add whatever milk/soy milk you preferred.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Stash brand chai tea bags...too much stuff added to the liquid ready to pour chai teas, that I can't have.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Naw, tried it once and didn't like it although DH loves them. My idea of a Starbucks special is a "Why bother?" Caffeine free coffee with non-fat milk and artificial sweetners.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE CHAI!!!! I mix chocolate chai with rasberry chai!

You don't need a recipe for Chai, it's like hot chocolate, a dry mix. I don't think I've ever seen a coffee shop ever make chai. They buy a bag of mix for $20 and sell about 50 chai teas at $4 a cup.

You can order the mixes online!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I found you a link!!! They all have caffine and sugar unless the label states otherwise. Big Train is another brand of Chai, it's good, but David Rio is way better. Tiger Spice (pictured in the link) and Green Tea Chai are my favorites (from David Reo), you find the other fun flavors from Big Train.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US279%26sa%3DN

Green Tea, my #1 favorite! $8.75 for 1lb. That will make quite a few Chais. Coffee shops sometimes sell them right in the shop.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US279%26sa%3DN

David Rio is what most coffee shops use. It's really tastey! It's a dry mix and you just add hot milk. You can also make a cold chai! Those are
in the summer. You heat up a small amount of milk, enough to desolve the powder mix, poor it over ice, and fill the rest with cold milk. It's soooooo good!

(I used to work in a coffee shop)

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just buy the Chai Tea in the tea bags, then I add 3 diet sugar's, and some milk. I like it better that way than Starbucks. To me Starbucks is too bland. I like it stronger and spicier.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgive my naivete, but... what makes it chai? Is it an ingredient, or a type of tealeaf, or the way it's prepared...?

I've never had one because I'm a little shaken by the concept of putting milk in tea, but... millions of Brits can't be all wrong, hm? Maybe I'll give it a try...