Help me give the cat some peace (dog tricks)

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lulu's bored.

When Lulu gets bored, she terrorizes the cat (not that he can't defend himself
)

We try to wear her out with outside play, but usually giving her things to do helps. She's done basic obedience, and knows how to sit, lay down, heel, come, stay, etc. She's also leaned to shake, play dead, roll over, jump up on command, move over on command, and dance on her hind legs.

Soooo...

We need more ideas... we're plum out! If you also have suggestions on how to train that behavior, it would be appreciated! Lulu's smart and energetic and will cover you with kisses for ideas!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an idea!

Buy her a whole bunch of different toys (or use those she already has). Teach her the names of each toy eg. Froggy, Ball, Bone, Frisbee, Puppy etc.

Hide each toy in a different part of the house that is accessible to Lulu and teach her to fetch the correct toy when you ask her to "Fetch Froggy!"

Lulu looks absolutely adorable, by the way!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww, now with a face like that I don't believe for a second she's anything but sweet towards Hennessy!!

The only thing I can think of is to be firm with her whenever she harassess the cat, say NO! very loudly, my dog doesn't really bother the cats, but every once in awhile they steal his toys and he gets a little upset and a loud no will always stop him in his tracks

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I have the opposite problem!

My black lab is 14 and Oliver is 6 - he wants to play, she's too old to be bothered lol... he's gotten a lot better since we moved back home with my parents and the pup, but he still gets "in a mood" and will stealthily sneak up to sleeping dog, bop her on the nose and take off like "catch me if you can!" She used to get up and move every time this happened, now she just looks at him like "what's your problem?!" If he does it many times in a short time period, he gets a time out (this is on top of being firmly told NO!) - he gets taken upstairs and put in a room with the door shut and has to stay there alone for like 15 minutes... if anything, it gets him to knock it off for the rest of that day.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you ever thought about Agility, Flyball or Rally obedience? Perhaps just getting her out and about, with other dogs, and people may help her be a calmer dog at home.

What about hiking, biking or rollar blading with her? If she is 'that active' I bet she would love to accompany you on one of these high energy endeavors. You can utilize her basic obedience on these treks, as well; so you can exercise her body as well as her brain.

I strongly encourage you to use a different 'cue word' than No, too...that's for any dog owner; instead of giving him an 'empty' command, give him a cue word that will actually get him to do something, rather than stop what he's doing, look at you for a few brief moments, and perhaps go right back to what he was doing. Teach him a cue word like "leave it" or "don't touch", and give him something he can play with, instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have considered Agility but she's still very much a puppy in many ways and we're not certain she'd pay attention too well.

As for Flyball, well, she's rather much pathetic at bringing a ball back (she's okay with mini-tennis balls, but not regular sized ones...)

No hiking trails... no bike... no rollerblades... we try to get her out to the dog run as often as possible, but we're not very active people (I know, I know, bad us)...

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

No hiking trails... no bike... no rollerblades... we try to get her out to the dog run as often as possible, but we're not very active people (I know, I know, bad us)...
All you need for a dog to be able to do agility, is basic obedience; beginner obedience is all on lead, too.

I guess if you're not extremely active, perhaps you could consider doggie daycare a couple of times a week, as well...at least then she's not at home being bored stiff and can play with other dogs till she's tuckered out

It really does come down to whether you are willing to give her what she needs; it sounds like she is an active dog, so if she doesn't get the exercise (both mental and physical) she needs she WILL find other ways to get rid of that energy...she will acquire even more boredom behaviors if you don't give her that 'release' everyday. Think about it this way; say you are an active person, and you have to stay in one area ALL the time...you would find something to occupy your time, even if it was less than acceptable. Eventually these 'time passers' become almost an obsession, because there is no other way to release your mental and physical energy. That's what is going on with her. Give her a job everyday and she will be a much calmer and happier dog.