drying mint leaves?

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
I was at a coffee shop yesterday and for the first time in a while, I decided to have some mint herbal tea. I had forgotten how tasty it was

I have a mint plant growing in my balcony garden and I have barely used it for anything. (and that thing is growing like a weed). I am thinking of drying some of the leaves to make herbal tea.
How would I do that?
Someone suggested either putting them in the oven on low heat (how low?) or putting them in the freezer in an open bag until they dry out.
Would either method work?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can dry most any herb in the microwave. Wash and dry the leaves and place them in a single layer on a paper towel. Cover it with another paper towel. Microwave on high for 30-90 seconds, depending on the water content of the particular herb. Check after 30 seconds, and if there is moisture on the towel, turn the whole thing over (much easier than it sounds
) and judge by the amount of moisture how much more time to give it. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Have fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

You can dry most any herb in the microwave. Wash and dry the leaves and place them in a single layer on a paper towel. Cover it with another paper towel. Microwave on high for 30-90 seconds, depending on the water content of the particular herb. Check after 30 seconds, and if there is moisture on the towel, turn the whole thing over (much easier than it sounds
) and judge by the amount of moisture how much more time to give it. Doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Have fun.
Oh, that sounds easy. I'll try it now.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you bring the plant in once it starts to get closer to freezing temps and keep all winter. I would probably pinch back a bit as it will get a bit leggy. Let me check what my herb books recommend for drying. What kinds of mont BTW???

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love mint in hot tea and cold tea, but it has been a while since I have had any. You can also use some dried mint in plain yogurt and eat with rice and/or bread. YUM!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, my mom had a mint bush when I was growing up and I used to eat them straight off the bush. My mom used to have a fit (mainly because I was probably eating cat and dog urine along with god know what else! But, hey, I was a kid...and I survived!). Mom used to cut off a sprig, wash it, and put it in a pitcher with tea bags to brew sun tea. That was GREAT!

Oh, now I have to get one. Does mint usually grow naturally in the woods?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy mint plants and keep in pots. If you plant mint outside in the ground its quite invasive and hard to control. I have spearmint, lime mint, mojito mint and kentucky Cornel mint.

My herb books say to pick in morning after dew has dried but before heat of day and hang upside down in bunch away from direct light. The leaves are considered dry when they are crisp to the touch but still look fresh. Store in airtight container.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I buy mint plants and keep in pots. If you plant mint outside in the ground its quite invasive and hard to control. I have spearmint, lime mint, mojito mint and kentucky Cornel mint.

My herb books say to pick in morning after dew has dried but before heat of day and hang upside down in bunch away from direct light. The leaves are considered dry when they are crisp to the touch but still look fresh. Store in airtight container.
Thank you!

I have spearmint (I think) but now I would love to get a different kind of mint. Unfortunately, herbs can be hard to find at the end of the summer. I wonder if I could start it from seed...

Mine is in a planter on the balcony so when it gets cold, I will just move the planter inside.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Place a post on craigslist or do you have freecycle to see if you have any luck. Its hard to find any this time of year here too-if you do good luck!!