New here, have a kitty problem!

vereyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I come to you for opinions, suggestions or advice. My cat, "Fez" who has just turned 4 this year, has many dietary/intestinal issues; ever since he was a tiny baby. We've worked through them and over the past year we have all come to a consensus on the ONLY brand/type of food we can give him that he will not regurgitate. Even so, he throws up about once a week on average.

Just wanted to give a bit of back info.

Now, to my problem. Even with all his fuss, he has never LOST his appetite. In fact he is well known for eating TOO much, which I've also worked on. But he has not touched his food since Tuesday, at least. Are there options I can try before thinking it's too serious? Should I take him to the vet right away or try something on my own first? I would like to get a stool sample for the vet, but having not eaten in a few days it would not be fresh!! I am worried about my baby boy and I will do what I need to in order to help him. After all I have spent over 5,000 on him already!! lol

*EDIT* I wanted to mention that everything else in his life is normal at the moment, he seems happy, he plays, purrs and wants our attention just like everything is fine, he is sleeping at the moment, which is normal , he doesn't 'look' sick.. I would never know anything is wrong if I didn't constantly look at his food bowl! I also can't confirm that he is drinking, I will try to find that out.

Any and all chime-in's will be greatly appreciated!!

My boy, Fez:

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your boy is absolutely beautiful - hopefully someone will have more expert advice for you, but I'd be dialing my vet right now to get him in asap, or at least get the vet's call on it. Don't worry - vets can usually get whatever samples they need. My vet has told me that I should call if I see any major change in behavior that lasts more than 12 hours (well, not counting not peeing - that you run to the vet right away!)

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs to go to the vet ASAP. He could be dehydrated since cats don't naturally drink a lot of water anyway (they get it from their food). Give him some really stinky smelly human tuna. Anything to get him to eat. Cats are really good at masking pain or sickness so even though he seems fine, he's not eating so something is up.

As for the constant vomiting:

Cats throw up a lot normally, it might not even have to do with the food. What food does he seem to do the best on? Do you feed any wet food?

Is he a quick eater? Sometimes cats throw up after eating because they are scarfing down food. You can try to get him to slow down by sticking golf balls in his food dish so he has to eat around the golf ball.

Are they hairballs? If so, a hairball gel or hairball food plus regular brushing should help. Hairballs aren't actually balls, they are cylinder tube clumps.

Do you have any house plants that the cat may be eating that it shouldn't?

Is there blood in the vomit?

What does the vet think about the vomiting?

He's a cute cat! Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First I have to say he is a super handsome boy!!! He kind of reminds me of my Jordan (he has health problems too and has cost me about the same amount).

Second, It is definatly time to call the vet. Not eating at all is a serious change in behavior. He might be constipated and not feel like eating, or one of a whole lot of other problems. A vet can do tests to try to figure out what is going on. For cats not eating can lead to other more serious problems. Another option to get him to eat is Chicken Baby Food. Gerber #2, make sure it does not have any onions in it. When Jordan would not eat anything else he would eat chicken baby food.

Idon't know if anyone has asked, but is he on any kind of medication?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vereyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the quick responses!! I will try to sort out the questions.

Sakura, thanks for the advice but the throwing up is not my main concern at the moment. We have that figured out the best we can I think. Thank you for chiming in, however!!!!! His vet knows about his vomitting... He hasn't seen the vet for it in about a year though since we've got him on a consistent diet that he is doing well with.

His food that he is doing well on is Castor & Pollux http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/store...feline_formula

He is currently on no medication.

Thanks for all the wonderful compliments on him, I will pass them along!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
he is lovely..

There are LOTS of simplier foods ... my guess he may be a good NO grain candidate///

I do agree the vet should see him

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sharky, she said she had found one food he'd eat. That's not the problem, unless they suddenly changed the formula (not impossible, if this is from a new bag), and when he suddenly won't eat is not the time to be experimenting or judging the quality of foods. That would be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

If his behavior is otherwise normal, he may just be a little under the weather, or he could have swallowed a toy, a string, something else, or have a sore tooth, a sore mouth, maybe even something stuck in his mouth or throat. If he has gone outside, he might have been bitten by something around the mouth.

These are all things a vet can check for thoroughly, of course.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some smelly human tuna or baby food, like suggested, and if he wont eat that, something serious is going on.

BTW, Kitty hates human food (I know, so weird) but LOVES Boston Market chicken
If you can get some of that, try it.

I'd make a vet appt for tomorrow and that way it'll be there if he still wont eat today.

he is adorable, hope eveything works out ok

vereyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all the advice! An update: He ended up eating a couple kibbles after I moistened it for him. That almost makes me think toothache.... He didn't eat a lot but it does make me feel better that something is in his stomach. I've got a close eye on him.

Very strange he is acting otherwise sooo normal, even playful! I also let him eat some grass before he decided to eat some food, maybe that helped get some flow back on the inside. I'll keep you posted if things change either way!

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tooth problems would be my # 1 guess. My older cat had a problem when she was younger, I had no clue till her ear became a problem. But the ear problem was related to the tooth, we pulled 3 of her teeth. But at the time I thought she was being picky cus she would only eat wet food. Boy did I feel bad after.
K.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Sharky, she said she had found one food he'd eat. That's not the problem, unless they suddenly changed the formula (not impossible, if this is from a new bag), and when he suddenly won't eat is not the time to be experimenting or judging the quality of foods. That would be like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

If his behavior is otherwise normal, he may just be a little under the weather, or he could have swallowed a toy, a string, something else, or have a sore tooth, a sore mouth, maybe even something stuck in his mouth or throat. If he has gone outside, he might have been bitten by something around the mouth.

These are all things a vet can check for thoroughly, of course.
IT COULD BE ie he was not EATING

to the OP can you open his mouth to check his teeth???

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm really concerned that, apart from a few kibbles, he hasn't eaten for almost three days.

A cat in that situation can rapidly develop a very serious life-threatening liver disease - if the cat is not getting sufficient calories from food ingestion, the liver begins drawing fat from the body...trouble is, the liver draws more than it can process and it, itself absorbs the fat.

We've recently lost a cat on this forum due to this condition. So, you need to do more than just watch what happens...do whatever it takes to get some food into him until the Vet appointment - use plain meat baby food/syringe feed, and ensure he is drinking. But, get him into the Vet ASAP!

I think I would also be looking for a homeopathic Vet once he is stable.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Try some smelly human tuna or baby food, like suggested, and if he wont eat that, something serious is going on.
probably... altho my Pixel isn't interested in baby food, ever. she will eat KFC [small amounts] tho.
please see a vet - i'm highly suspicious that my Mouse's eventual death was caused, in part, to Feline Hepatic Lipidosis.

vereyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, better update! I gave him a can of wet food (well, half a can) and he ate it!! I always have to be very careful doing that because if he doesn't eat for even a few hours and then eats a lot, he usually throws up. But he kept it down, for what has been 2 hours now.

I want to thank you all for your concern, it hurts to read that my boy could be suffering from something extremely serious. He has given me a scare, but he ate. SO, I hope he feels better. I will give him the other half of the can soon.. I will certainly take him in tomorrow if he is acting the same as today, or any different from normal.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I glad to hear that he ate something & that it stayed down. But I still think it important to see the vet. You may now be able to get a fecal sample to take. When he's better have you considered a natural, raw meat diet?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's eating. That's a good sign, but if it is a dental problem he should see a vet. He might be in pain from a tooth problem. I know it's hard sometimes to always be running to the vet. I have one that needs a dental and I have to wait until I pay off this last vet trip. Just try to get him in as soon as you can.