I am going to Victoria

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes finally we are going on a holiday. I haven't been to Victoria in 17 years, I am so excited. I love Buchart Gardens ans the castles. I love everything except the ferry ride
I always get sick.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's been 17 years, maybe you'll have a better time on the ferry this time -- the newer ones are really quite nice. DH has family on the Island, so we "know" the ferries, sometimes better than we want to.

Hope you have a great time. I haven't done Butchart Gardens since I took my Dad and his brother and SIL -- good grief! that's got to be over ten years ago.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! Going on vacation ought to be fun! I have absolutely no idea where Victoria is, but it sounds lovely, even the name is lovely!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

If it's been 17 years, maybe you'll have a better time on the ferry this time -- the newer ones are really quite nice. DH has family on the Island, so we "know" the ferries, sometimes better than we want to.

Hope you have a great time. I haven't done Butchart Gardens since I took my Dad and his brother and SIL -- good grief! that's got to be over ten years ago.
I love Victoria, The last time we went my oldest was a newborn. So none of children have been on the Island

Originally Posted by glitch

Congrats! Going on vacation ought to be fun! I have absolutely no idea where Victoria is, but it sounds lovely, even the name is lovely!
It is on an island in southern B.C. Canada, We are going up island too.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

Yes finally we are going on a holiday. I haven't been to Victoria in 17 years, I am so excited. I love Buchart Gardens ans the castles. I love everything except the ferry ride
I always get sick.
DW insisted on having High Tea at the Fairmont Empress. That just about blew our whole budget but supposedly it is something you "have" to do!
(It was $95 each, as I recall.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

DW insisted on having High Tea at the Fairmont Empress. That just about blew our whole budget but supposedly it is something you "have" to do!
(It was $95 each, as I recall.)
I have always wanted to do that. We are leaving tonigh or tomorrow morning, depends on what kind of day Dh has at work today. I'm packed and ready to go .
I am so excited

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like you have great weather
for the weekend -- that'll help with the ferry ride. Have a safe journey and a great time.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, how lovely for you! I have only ever been to Vancouver Island once many years ago. I caught a Chinook salmon at Gold River and it was soooo exciting. I'm sure you'll enjoy every minute.

You might carry some Gravol with you just in case you feel a bit queasy on the ferry.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Too funny. I live on Vancouver Island. Been here my whole life. Haven't been to Victoria in a few months, but my job brings me there just about once a month when school is in. We are appalled at the costs of the ferries lately; it's so expensive now that a lot of people just don't leave the island unless it's an emergency. You'd think that maybe we could get discounted rates since we live here....

But yes, my family tends to think of Victoria as a vacation spot even though we live on the island. One year we decided to stay there for Christmas instead of at home.. but we got stuck in the middle of a snowstorm.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I have been to Victoria (and Vancouver as well). We went to tea at the Empress but it was a few years ago and I think it was not $$$ just $$.

The Bouchart Gardens are so beautiful, especially the rose garden. The only garden I have seen of the same calibre is the Generlalife at La Alhambra in Granada, Spain.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
PS - I much prefer the Blethering Place tea room in Oak Bay over the Empress, but I do like the Bengal Lounge at the Empress. Check out the scotch menu if you visit the Empress.. I remember some of them were around $50/glass. Beacon Hill Park has a great petting zoo with the sweetest baby goats ever.

Also, it's the Butchart Gardens - they have fireworks displays in the evenings.

I would recommend taking the Mill Bay Ferry from Brentwood Bay which is right near the Butchart Gardens and then drive over the Malahat back to Victoria. That ferry crosses a flat calm fjord, and the scenery is gorgeous. Alternatively, there is another ferry that takes you to Saltspring Island, a popular place filled with artisans and many different agricultural offerings.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering which Victoria you were going to, there are lots of them you know! I live in Victoria B.C. and it 's a very nice little city with a lot to offer.

We live a few blocks from the Inner Harbour so we usually get out of town during tourist season.
No offense.
I would highly recommend Botanical Beach. Check out tides and try to get there low tide. Very cool place; make sure to check out the rules.

http://www.portrenfrew.com/botbeach.htm

Hope you have a great trip.