Sick Kittens?

shorty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend rescued two kittens from the Humane Society. They're about 12 weeks old and are little fuzzy bundles of joy.

The more active of the two kittens suddenly pulled a complete 180. This morning she was lethargic, seems to have heavy and fast breathing and not eating or drinking. It's about midnight right now and she is still in the same condition.

Is a vet visit in the future?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her to a vet ASAP.
Kittens go downhill very fast. A lot of kittens from shelters have Upper Respiratory Infections which can lead to pneumonia. It is relatively easy to treat with antibiotics. But you really need to get her seen.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please have the kitten checked immediately. Kittens under 6 months old can be in trouble in a short time. They don't have much to "fight" with. I've lost 10-12 week old kittens to giardia one time! And I got them in right away. Their systems are pretty fragile the first few months.

Hope the kitten is better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shorty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I'll pass the message along to him.

He said that the kitten seems to be doing better today. She ate and her breathing doesn't look as labored. Hopefully he'll listen to me and take her to the vet.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if she hasn't already had a visit to your own vet, a lot of vets will offer a free 'new pet' check-up - the idea being that you would continue to use that vet. Shots, etc., need to be paid for, but the first office visit is often free.

In any event, I'm in the camp that believes a check-up with your own vet is always wise after adoption - even if the shelter says the pet has been checked over by their own vet.

Anyway, good luck with the new babies - and your guy sounds like a keeper.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have adopted two cats from the local shelter, and we have one we're fostering. All three went to the vet's office before they came in the house. The peace of mind is worth it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shorty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

Anyway, good luck with the new babies - and your guy sounds like a keeper.
Haha yes he is definately a keeper.

I think we discovered the mysterious cause of Leia's sickness. She went to the bathroom this morning twice, and he found little bits of Starburst wrappers in her poops. Just a guess, but I think that is what was making her feel ill. She's feeling a lot better today, she nearly drank her water bowl dry and ate this morning. Yay!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found, when I adopted my cats, that I suddenly became a much better housekeeper
- I was so afraid of them eating something they shouldn't! Granted, it's impossible to foresee every possibility, but I suspect you and your guy will be 'baby-proofing' the home really soon!

Continued good wishes that Leia keeps getting better.