Got the job and MOVING!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things work out SO well for me lately. I must be the most blessed person alive...

I got this job offer today, and it is way more than I make now, 3 weeks vacay to start and benefits from day 1

So, I am moving in two weeks...I start the job Sept 2nd, so I have to get packing!

Any advice for moving 7 hours away would be great. I am thinking I will rent a truck, move my stuff into storage and then stay at my moms while I find a place.

I think I will just have Trout in the car with me as I drive there, and have her litterbox in the backseat? It will be interesting since her box is the largest tote rubbermaid makes because of her peeing over the side issue

Weeeeeeeeeeeee!

Oh, I forgot to mention...I will actually be near my fiance

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!!

When my sis moved 1st from Syracuse NY to Atlanta, then later Atlanta to Charlottesville VA our parents flu out and she loaded up the car and then rented a Uhaul-they can tell you the size you need. It seemed to work out well. Plus you will have help unloading!

When she comes here she used to have a Ford Ranger and she has a disposable litter box and water food dish and a couple of blankets-yep she doesn't keep her cat in a carrier-he has been here three times so he know the drill!!

START PACKING.................

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting for you!!

I don't have any suggestions about moving because the furthest I've moved was across the city.

But I'm thrilled that everything seems to be falling so much into place for you, and that you will be able to see your fiance more often.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations Natalie! How exciting for you, Trout and your man! You all must be thrilled.
OK, well maybe not Trout...she doesn't seem to be thrilled about anything except maybe catnip.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is excellant, lots of congrats...

Would it be possible to borrow a larger dog crate from someone for Trout that would take care of the space issue...

Also professional mover's take all the stress out of moving, it is well worth the money because they basically can do everything....

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations Natalie! Wow! How your life has changed in just a couple of years, huh?
It must be right since everything is falling into place!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Congrats Nat! I was pulling for you. LoL
Just get organized when you pack. That's the most important part and label EVERYTHING. It will much easy to unload later in your new home with your husband

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I remember when you were stressing about your soon to be previous job and now it looks like everything is falling in place for you.

I am really happy for you!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats Natalie!!
That is such wonderful news!!! I've been keeping my fingers crossed you'd get that job

As far as moving with Trout in tow- do not let her roam the truck, it is not a safe idea- in the event of an accident it could be very bad. Instead you need to get a medium or large size dog kennel and put a small litter pan & whatever else she needs in there and keep her in there. That way she's secure

Don't forget to notify any gyms or other clubs that you might be a paying member of about the move so they won't continue to charge you.

Oh and about the moving- Label EVERYTHING!!!! Sharpies are your best friend
I went through 3 when we moved recently
Label in detail too and on all sides of the box. (don't just put "kitchen" on it- put "Spices" - Room: "Kitchen" - it makes it easier when you unpack. Wrap your breakables very well- grocery sacs make excellent wrapping if you have a lot of them laying around!!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Congratulations Natalie, what an exciting time in your life.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Congratulations Nat. It sounds like all of your stars are very aligned right now. Good luck on the move.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds so wonderful. I am so glad thiings are working out for you
. Like everyone else said label. label. label. Paper towels are great for packing dishes and china. It is clean and keeps things from breaking

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

That sounds so wonderful. I am so glad thiings are working out for you
. Like everyone else said label. label. label. Paper towels are great for packing dishes and china. It is clean and keeps things from breaking
double duty stuff - pack your breakables w/your bathroom towels & bedding. those are even cheaper than paper towels - 'cause you already own them!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds very wonderful, Nat. I'm very happy for you. I don't have any moving tips for you, but lots of for a suitably uneventful one!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay Nat! you are going to be one busy bee, if i were closer you could have had all of my spare boxes.

Everyone else is right, pack your breakables with clothes and towels and tea towels, i collected the free newspaper for half a year in the mail to do my collectables.

Two weeks isn't a lot of time, then throw away any junk like papers ect.

I bet youre going to find a lot of thigns that you couldnt find before hehe!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats, Natalie!!! I hope everything works out for you!

As for moving, yes, a rental truck works. BTDT. Also, be "ruthless" in paring away ANYTHING you don't absolutely need.