*****KatKwery! - August 13*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the supreme court rules on today's KatKwiz, that will be posted in the thread. I had always thought about using that question before because it looked so tough. But some of us are seeing it and others are not and there is nothing anywhere about needing to be at a level or premium member so that is not going to stop KatKwery from going on.

I sure hope I don't have to pay out double points for KatKwiz though because we had another clean sweep, or is that called a hat trick? 5 big winners. And here they are: Glitch used same, marianjela used seen, luvycat1 used know, BelongsToEvie used reason and *Pepper* used carry.

Today's KatKwiz was about Signature Pictures but we will make the questions about siggies in general. Remember, there are no correct answers, your objective is only to match DW when I ask her the same questions.

When you first became a member, how long did it take you to figure out what the heck a siggy was? I believe the plural of siggy would be siggies, is that correct? Are you aware that if your siggy is of a "lossy" format, everytime it is looked at, it loses clarity? Do you ever get bored with your siggy and change it just for the heck of it? When do you think we will get the final answer for today's KatKwiz?
BTW, right now I think it has something to do with what browswer you are using since I have yet to come up with a better answer and here lately I have been uncovering things like colored threads that are browswer dependent. And now just so everybody does not accuse me of losing my mind, I am now, for a while, using both by siggy and Signature Picture (but I am breaking the law).

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

When the supreme court rules on today's KatKwiz, that will be posted in the thread. I had always thought about using that question before because it looked so tough. But some of us are seeing it and others are not and there is nothing anywhere about needing to be at a level or premium member so that is not going to stop KatKwery from going on.

When you first became a member, how long did it take you to figure out what the heck a siggy was? I believe the plural of siggy would be siggies, is that correct? Are you aware that if your siggy is of a "lossy" format, everytime it is looked at, it loses clarity? Do you ever get bored with your siggy and change it just for the heck of it? When do you think we will get the final answer for today's KatKwiz?
Thanks for the points!! Woot woot!!

It took me a while to figure out what a siggy was, no one ever says signature, just siggys so its confusing! Im going to have to figure out what a lossy format is.... Yes I change it all the time! I need to look at katkwiz and then Ill get back to you on that one! I have recently lost my premium membership privlages and I still have the box that says Signature Picture so Im not sure how todays katkwiz is going to play out! Hopefully the katkwery plays out better! The pixels is all confusing and I really dont understand a whole bunch of the hooblah... I have several siggys so I can change them at random, the one I have right now was made for me by a friend who recently got into a car accident and had to have surgery! So It stays there till all is well again! I dont know what the plural of siggy is... I thought siggy was a noun.. It describes a thing right?? I hope we get the answer to todays katkwiz soon!! I wont say who I think should win because Im not the katkwiz cats and I dont count!! Gotta go, I HAVE to get my membership privlages back (time to reload the ol credit card) because Im having widthdrawls!!!

You are breaking the rules with your siggy and siggy picture!!! haha I bet its okay right now due to the fact that its a learning experience!! I had to ask someone to make me a signature when I first joined, it seemed to take forever to make it because it was christmas season! But when I finally got one I was tickled pink!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

not that long! i made my own sigs for a long time, using MSPaint. they were quite basic - just small pix of my 2 [at the time] girls.
i had Cagnes make me my very 1st 'professional' signature - this is it:
she also made me several color variations. when i got Chip, she added him, but i lost the quote [too bad - i REALLY like that quote!].
linguistically, 'siggies' would be the plural of 'siggy'.
i have no earthly idea what a 'lossy' format is, btw. hopefully none of mine are like that.
i do change mine from time to time, especially the individual ones i have for each of the cats. just 'cause i'm tired of looking at it
i'd like a rotating sig, but i'd first need a web hoster - i haven't been able to find one that's free & also works w/mac. so i just rotate them on my own!
don't know about your last question - have you not decided on a winner, yet?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I sure hope I don't have to pay out double points for KatKwiz though because we had another clean sweep, or is that called a hat trick? 5 big winners. And here they are: Glitch used same, marianjela used seen, luvycat1 used know, BelongsToEvie used reason and *Pepper* used carry.

Today's KatKwiz was about Signature Pictures but we will make the questions about siggies in general. Remember, there are no correct answers, your objective is only to match DW when I ask her the same questions.

I hadn't been a member too long before I found out what a siggy was. I think siggies is the correct plural form. Did you mean to say "glossy" Lee because I'm not sure what "lossy" is.
I didn't know they lost clarity though. You might have to give the answer for todays Katkwiz before we know what it is.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I know we've had this topic before. It didnt take me long to obtain a signature when I first joined TCS. After posting and reading the messages, I noticed everyone else's siggies and I knew I wanted one. I cant remember how long I search or even if I did to figure out how to make one, or upload one, but I do remember holding a photo shoot with my dog and Willow so I could piece together the banner I wanted!

I still had that same siggy that I made over years ago when I returned from my hiatus this year, but it was eaten!
Turned out it exceeded the size restrictions and they chomped it to pieces.

I have photoshop, and could have easily resized it and replaced what they moderators removed, but I decided it was time for a change. Not to mention, Willow went on to live with my mother after Josh was diagnosed, and we acquired new cats over the years.

When I set out to make a new signature, I quickly decided on the one I have now - I originally make it for a bumper sticker contest, but the size requirements were almost perfect so I decided to use that. And since my signature didnt boast my cats, I uploaded pictures to my cat pages to share them there and was pleasantly surprised when they showed up as thumbnails to the right of my username! All that was left was to add my children, so I worked my butt off to graduate (to super cat I believe) so that I could create a custom avatar. Which I made animated to display all five of my children.

Just about all my bases are covered now

So I guess the short answer is - it didnt take me long. Less than a month. I think that's pretty quick relatively.

The plural of siggy is signatures

I wasnt aware that is a signature was of poor or "lousy" quality it would lose clarity every time it was looked at. How does that work??? Does it really lose physical quality, or it is your eyes playing tricks on you??? It is really getting blurry or just your eyes? I have a friend that has a novelty shirt that has "Dazed and Confused" printed on the front, but the letters are purposely fuzzy. The more you look at the shirt, the dizzier you get. Annoying. Cute concept - but hate the shirt!
Okay for the person wearing it, bothersome for the person viewing it!

I have played with the idea of changing my "John Hancock" several times. I've seen members change theirs with the seasons, or at whim, and it is fun and interesting. Although, I admit, I get to know someone by their siggy then they change it and I'm like, "who's that?" LOL

However, it is a great change of scenery to see the new signatures really! I've learned to stop relying so much on them to identify somebody. If I cant remember the name, I better get used to everyone's avatar or cat thumbnails.

Of course, I'm just kidding - really, at this point I am finally starting to remember who's who. At least the regulars. When I first joined though, I did rely in the signatures more to jog my memory.

I really like how some members have rotating signatures. I think it is Icklemiss who has a signature that changes every time you see one of her posts. It seems to alternate on it's own. I've often wondered how she does it, but have yet to check it out.

I think we will know the final answer to today's KatKwiz tomorrow (perhaps today) but I think I can already guess the answer. It doesnt obviously has nothing to do with being a paid subscriber, but it does appear to have something to do with the usergroup status, even if it isnt written in stone anywhere. The newer members submitted screen shots of their profile in the signature mode, and it was not there. But when the rest of us checked it was there, as advanced members, but not paid members. Lee, I already post in the KatKwiz that I am not vying for the points, so it doesnt bother me to forfeit my winnings. I might have been the first to come up with the answer you were looking for, but since the others couldnt see what we did, they were at an unfair advantage and whomever answered first the closest to what you accept as a right answer should win.

Thanks for another win today Lee's wife!!! Even if it was a grandslam and I didnt really move in the ranks at all.... at least I didnt fall behind

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

BTW, right now I think it has something to do with what browswer you are using since I have yet to come up with a better answer and here lately I have been uncovering things like colored threads that are browswer dependent. And now just so everybody does not accuse me of losing my mind, I am now, for a while, using both by siggy and Signature Picture (but I am breaking the law).
I knew right away what siggies are because I am a member of another forum that uses them; however, the difference is that we cannot use images in our siggies on the other forum, whereas we can here. I still don't have an image in my siggy because I just haven't bothered trying to make one. I want to make my own eventually, though.

Maybe my brain is fried from the confusion over today's KatKwiz, but what on earth is a "lossy" format? I have never heard of this, so I guess I cannot even begin to answer your question!

If I had an image in my siggy, yes, I probably would get tired of it and want to change it at some point. With just the text, I really don't pay that much attention to it at all.

I hope someone will solve this mystery of the Signature Picture confusion soon! I don't know why, but not knowing why I can't see what other people can is annoying me! :lol

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yay! Thank you! Glad I could win.
We'd better stop, though, don't want you to go bankrupt before the playoffs!

Didn't take me too long to figure out the signatures. Even though this is the first forum I'm a member of, I have read others for info, so I had an idea. I was so excited to make one of mine! Once I was high enough in my membership, I tried to make one in Paint. But, I quickly got sick of it. I wanted to get all my babies on it, looking good, with their names... But it didn't work very well, so I gave up.
Instead, I just listed them all with a tiny tag line. That works for me, and it's easier to update.

I agree with Marianjela, the plural of "siggy" is signatures!
Though I admit, "siggy" and "pics" are about the only shortened words I will use... I guess I'm a grammar snob...

Nope, I've never heard of "lossy", either. And if that surprises you, you haven't been reading my posts!

Again, nope, I haven't ever changed my signature just for the heck of it. I've been updating it, when I got my fosters, when Nigel died, when I gave up my fosters, and when I get my next ones!

I think you will have a final answer before the next KatKwiz! Just 'cause you're awesome like that.

As for you breaking the law, I know why we have it now! Man, having the dual pics is rather annoying, I have to pan over left and right.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It keeps getting better and better! It has to do with post count or user title! I think it was nice of you to award the points to *Pepper* because I never noticed that option down there so it must of taken some looking!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I hadn't been a member too long before I found out what a siggy was. I think siggies is the correct plural form. Did you mean to say "glossy" Lee because I'm not sure what "lossy" is.
I didn't know they lost clarity though. You might have to give the answer for todays Katkwiz before we know what it is.
I did mean lossy. If you use lossy compression to create a siggy (such as a jpg) you will have a lossy format and your siggy will continue to get worse over time. I routinely replace my siggy (which is a jpg) from time to time with a brand new copy, although I still use a jpg because of the compression needed to get it to the proper size as called for by TCS standards. It is called lossy because of the loss each time it is opened, and your siggy is opened and expanded every time it is looked at. Formats such as BMP are not lossy because they are not compressed. I have trouble getting a BMP with TCS standards so I do use lossy compression but I am aware of this. Right now my siggy is not as clear as it used to be. When I replace it with a new JPG, it will look much clearer. The original on my hard disk is a BMP and I just change it to JPG and use Edit Signature to replace it from time to time. Here is what Wikipedia says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossy_compression

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

.have you not decided on a winner, yet?
Well, I gave the points to *Pepper* because she got the closest to the right answer. I still do not know the answer and from time to time I ask a question that nobody knows the answer to. I have the question posted in The Signature Shop and hopefully somebody will come along with the answer. But, we are closer to the answer with what *Pepper* found. It was not my intention to have a question that nobody could answer because I asked the question based on WHAT I COULD SEE and assumed everybody else could see it too.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Thats nuts! So by looking at your siggy we're wrecking it!!
I wonder if I have one of those... darn
Just do a right click and then click on Properties. You do have a jpg format for your siggy so you do have a lossy format. But just as some people cannot tell the difference in an HD TV with 1080 over a 720 HD TV, there are those that will never note the difference. Mine is getting speckled because of the bright colors and because mine is also a lossy format.